Picture Profiles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Picture Profiles

Hi Guys

This blog might be useful for the EA-50 too... It is for the FS100 but the results and settings surely could be adapted to our cameras.

The one designed for bright outdoor shots might be worth a shot for starters!!

FS100 Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Picture Profiles

Thanks for this!
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I actually noticed that the modified PP3 setting they added a lot of yellow! Now, my PP3 definately shows up green trees and grass as if they do have a lack of yellow chroma so I tried the "off" setting and the trees and grass seem to return to more accurate levels now during a Realty shoot today

I might now have to compare the modded PP3 with the no profile and see how it compares but for now, especially with greenery the no profile is much more saturated than the PP3 which is a little wishy washy.

Chris
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

OK Guys

The CineAble profile mod for PP3 is really nice if you like good and accurate colour and plenty of saturation..I think it will be a beauty for outdoor shots and it's really worth a try!! The standard PP3 is definately pasty and washed out in comparison to the new settings. They are however still close to the default "off" setting but a bit richer and I think less chance of having an over-exposed image in bright light.

I now would like a nice PP for indoor shots under lighting.

EDIT: I did a shoot this afternoon and also indoors with cam and an on camera light and the results are magic!!!

Let me know your comments

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; February 19th, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Chris,
Where did you find the AbelCine mod for PP3. I searched their site without result.
Dan Eskelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Dan

It's in the FS100 scene file blog but to save you time just mod the current PP3 profile and change these settings.

Black Level: -2
Gamma: CinemaTone1
Black Gamma: Range = High / Level = 0
Knee: Point = 102.5% / Slope = -1
Color Mode: Type = Standard / Level =8
Color Level: +1
Color Phase: +1
Color Depth: R=-2, G=-6, B=-7, C=0, M=+2, Y=+5
WB Shift = All 0
Detail = Level = -3 / Manual Set = Off

It's a really nice look for general work!!

Chris
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris!
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Dan

I shot with this profile today inside and outside a house and the indoor shots seemed a bit dark...outside in bright light were magic so the profile would need to be "tuned" a bit for indoor shoots.

With my Panasonics I had a neat PDF file which explained what setting does what but alas I cannot find any sort of PDF which explains what "black levels" do when you lift them up or drop them down ..that would be very useful!! Things like Colour Level are simple enough as are detail. I just modded my PP3 profile with the new settings but now I really need one for say, deep shade and indoors.

I'm still not sure how you shold mod this for indoor shots but based on Noa's video an alternative "indoor" PP would involve changing the Black Level to zero, Black Gamma Level to 7 and Colour Level to -3

Chris
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Yesterday when I was filming at the Sint Trudo church I replaced ppt1 with abelcine's preset, when I was at the church I did some side by side shots with my cx730 at it's widest angle and the ea50 with a samyang 14mm f2.8. Then I applied all factory presets, except ppt1 which I replaced with the abelcine one to see which one would match best with my cx730.

It turns out abelcine's preset is a very good match, also ppt3, if you would add saturation and contrast and ppt 5 which has a bit richer color.
I was surprised to see that my cx730 resolved more detail then the ea50, the 14mm on the ea50 however does go much wider which makes the small detail even smaller what could be a reason but still, the overal picture looks sharper to me for the cx730.

I also did a low light comparison from a shorter distance and then the ea50 stayed a bit sharper at high gains.

Below several frame grabs for those who are interested to compare:
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profiles-01.jpg   Picture Profiles-02.jpg  

Picture Profiles-03.jpg   Picture Profiles-04.jpg  

Picture Profiles-05.jpg   Picture Profiles-06.jpg  

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

and some more:
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profiles-07.jpg   Picture Profiles-08.jpg  

Picture Profiles-09.jpg   Picture Profiles-10.jpg  

Picture Profiles-11.jpg   Picture Profiles-12.jpg  

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Excellent!! Pity you didn't compare the default as well...that is a LOT different I found to the presets. It has a much deeper colour too.....Guess you never shot anything in the Church with the camera in "OFF"???

Chris
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Picture Profiles

Thanks Noa,

That was a lot of comparison! I will try the abelcine preset on my next indoor shots - it looks excellent on this monitor.

Dan
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Inner Circle

These are the settings on my NX5U that come close to the CX700. I have reset the PP2 to these settings.

Master black - 4
Gamma ITU709
Colour level -1
Detail +7
Manual set under detail
V/H 0
B/W type 4
Black level limit 3
White level limit 7
Crispening 7
Hi-light detail 2

the rest are default.

This gives an image really close to my CX700.

All my shoots are indoor.

As Noa has found without the detail enhancements the CX700 is a lot sharper than the NX5U. Before I set up the preset I was always sharpening the NX5U in editing to match the small Sony's. Still do a little at times !! However the flat image can be enhanced easily since there is little enhancements in the original to interfere.

There are some posts on the NX5U section also on the presets that you may try too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Trustee

I want to say the work, advice, and knowledge you share here does not go unappreciated. A big thank you again for again posting something so valuable.

Steve
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

If you look casually at all Noa's shots there isn't a huge amount of difference between the profiles actually in indoor shots so for the average viewer one could probably get away with any of them.

The big difference happens with high contrast, bright light shots more than anything else. Using the "OFF" setting and the standard PP3 there is a massive difference in colour, especially the greens which with PP3 tend to lose a lot of the correct colour and show up more as if the shot was done on a dull overcast/rainy day ...bright green tress and grass tend to revert to a dull grey/green and they lose all their sparkle. If you are Summer shooting then a comparison of profiles is definately a must!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)