PS & FX Saved to external media only??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 20th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Trustee

PS & FX Saved to external media only???

Hi Guys,

In an attempt to understand EVERYTHING I can about a new camera I am one of those freaks that reads manuals. Great night stand stuff, sometimes takes weeks because I fall asleep.

Anyway. There is a weird statement I don't understand. I think it is a poor translation, but still, I am not sure what they are trying to say?

Page 44 It says "Movies recorded with the recording mode set to PS or FX mode on can be saved to an external media device only. P.104".

The "1080/60P PS" setting is the cameras highest data rate at 28 Mbps and the only option labeled "PS"

The 1080/24P FX setting is the cameras native format (NTSC cameras). "FX" modes are the most common settings this camera will be used in.

The reference to P.104 is simply where they describe how to transfer images to an external device. The camera will not record live to anything VIA USB. But of course "FX" and "PS" both record and playback fine from the card. What are they trying to say?

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; February 20th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: PS & FX Saved to external media only???

I am the complete opposite. I fiddle around with settings and learn on the fly ... I simply can't digest manuals.

To answer your question. You can record in those settings and save to a SDHC card as normal.

The manual might be recommending that you go and buy the official Sony external hard drive as a source to record in those high settings because of the amount of data it consumes.

However, it's nothing several 32GB SDHC Sandisk Extreme's can't handle anyway ...

EDIT: I think they are saying that you can only save data to the external hard drive in those specific settings.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Trustee

Neither of the above.
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

PS and FX are data rates for recording. PS is 28Mbps used for 60P recording, FX is 24Mbps used for a range of image sizes and frame rates including 1920x1080 60i/50i, 1280x720P60/50, etc. The comments about external storage are AFTER recording on the camera one can then copy to an external USB unit like a USB memory stick or a USB hard drive but this must be FAT32 and smaller than 2T all detailed on page 104. Most of the small Sony handcams can also do this and they also allow playback from these devices too. In the case of the latest Sony handcams with projectors then the images can be projected up to 100" diagonal. For you wedding guys one of the small new Sony's with HDMI in and projector you could come out of the EA50 HDMI and get the little Sony to project for people to see.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Trustee

Page 44 It says "Movies recorded with the recording mode set to PS or FX mode on can be saved to an external media device only. P.104".

Ron,

I understand what you said. My question is why does the quote differentiate those two file types? P.104 does not mention a difference. Oh well, probably just a bad use of the word "only".

Steve
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes I don't understand that either as progressive 60P is only PS yet they say progressive is FX or FH. The only restriction I see on page 104 is that only files not yet saved on an external device can be copied. I read this as it is not possible to copy several times the same files. This may be the way that the onboard software works only showing files that have not been copied for this particular copy operation.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)