Expanded focus assist is fuzzy??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Expanded focus assist is fuzzy???

Hi Guys

When I put my cam right up to expanded focus assist the image to me looks a bit broken up and a bit fuzzy? Normal LCD is pretty darn sharp so either that's how it is or my diopter ring isn't set correctly for my old eyes. Could you younger guys see if your 8X expanded focus is sharp for me? It's not a major issue as I'm using peaking anyway so focus is spot on but if I ignore the peaking and look just at the image itself it looks out of focus but peaking tells me it is in focus and the end result is also perfect!!

Hmmm maybe I do need to put a closeup ring on the EVF tube as my diopter ring is adjusted all the way to the left already.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Expanded focus assist is fuzzy???

Hi Chris,

I have noticed that also. I don't think expanded focus will be truly sharp...it is just the "best" focus you can get. And as you say, results bear that out in the final image.

Dan
Dan Eskelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Expanded focus is fuzzy on my EA50 & VG20 as well. Technically the camera is digitally cropping/zooming in to the image using in-built software which probably explains the quality loss when viewing it.

The final footage is always fine though.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Your fine Chris. I find the 4X to be more useful than 8x for exactly that reason. 8x is just to much magnification.

I have not reset the options in the menu yet by I may do it. I focus in 4x then look at it in 8x, I have never made a change in 8x because it does not need it.

Steve
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

It certainly does allow you to trim focus using the peaking especially...I haven't used it much though!! The peaking is normally good enough for me and if the peaking shows yellow or red hilights on the brides necklace then I know I'm in focus. (For some weird reason I have one cam with yellow and one with red peaking!!)

I think the only thing I have found on the Sony that I woudl have liked is the ability to be able to tweak focus using the ring in auto ...the Panasonics allowed me to "correct" focus while the AF was running. No big deal now and the Sony body switches are so well placed..I just flick to manual focus as soon as the cam is on the tripod.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)