DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Old lenses - new tricks... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/514550-old-lenses-new-tricks.html)

Neil Chamberlain February 24th, 2013 11:30 AM

Old lenses - new tricks...

I'm a real fan of old Minolta AF glass - with the EA50 and the LA-EA1/2 adapters the alpha mount lenses represent some very classy, cost-effective results...

Suddenly, the old lens collection has got a massive new lease of life and, with the Sony adapters, integrate really well with the EA50.

I wondered what exotic glass you've tried on your EA50s and the sort of results you've seen.

For me, the Minolta 28-135mm f4/4.5 is my go to interview lens. But then you've got some very sweet primes - the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm 1.4 perform beautifully for video.

And some nice Sony-mount Sigmas too...

Regs, Neil.

Dan Eskelson February 24th, 2013 04:01 PM

Re: Old lenses - new tricks...

Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your info. I am also very excited about this camera and its ability to use various lenses. But as Stephen Digges expressed in one of his recent posts, I am also hesitant to post my work on this forum of very worthy and experienced videographers...but I have a thick skin, so feel free to comment and criticize.

I've been using a Sigma 19mm f2.8, which holds great promise for wide landscape shots as well as events like below - lots of noise here, but still pretty cool for nighttime:

Also have been using the old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 for interviews, etc. using a cheap adapter purchased on ebay:

And surprisingly, the kit lens is producing some outstanding shots...these are tests of the Genus Variable ND filter:

Robert Moran February 26th, 2013 05:22 PM

I do a great deal of shooting with 40+ year old Nikkors and two 55+ year old Angineaux and Steinheil glass. I got the camera to use this tech and have never looked back. The kit lens also is terrific. Not fast but image quality is very good IMHO.

Neil Chamberlain February 27th, 2013 02:46 PM

Hi Robert - just wanted to say that I too appreciate the 'kit' 18-200 Power Zoom. It does produce the goods - even some clients are commenting on the video quality when I've been using that lens.

In the corporate stuff we do it really has got me out of jail a few times. Clients get twitchy with 'time wasting' while lenses are being changed! With such a huge focal length range and, frankly, minimal distortion once you're past 20+ mm, it delivers the goods.

Glad you're having such success with the really old glass. With no computers they still could design and make wonderful lenses. I'm now looking into the old Minolta MC/MD Rokkors. The old glass does have something about it image quality-wise.

Regs, N.

Robert Moran February 27th, 2013 10:22 PM

Thank you for the kind words. The kit lens rocks without issue. I use it all the time for both personal and pro work. I wish my grandfather was still alive. Gramps would have love this tech big time.

Chris Harding February 27th, 2013 11:15 PM

Hi Neil

I used to have two Konica Minolta Dimage 7Hi cameras and they were a mere 5 mp resolution but the images were stunning!!! It was all about the glass and those lenses although fixed had optics to die for!

I must definately look at the adaptor and some Alpha Mount lenses!!

Chris

Noa Put March 1st, 2013 04:03 AM

Dan, I don't want to sound negative but I"m just curious, did you use the digital zoom when you zoomed in on that girl in the ropes? If I had to guess I"d say yes because it looked like the image got softer and it looked like the image got a resolutionhit?
The interview you did looked good, this camera is not as sharp as my small sony cx730 and my cx730 is not as sharp as a sony ex3 (I have done a side by side shot with a ex3) so it's safe to say you would have a hard time combining the camera with a tack sharp ex3 image but I actually like the bit softness to the image, razor sharp images give me a more "video" feeling while the ea50 gives me a bit more filmlike look. The next short I"m doing I"ll be using the stocklens only again, I actually was very pleased with the outdoor image I got when I was filming that coalmine, as long as you have decent light so you don't have to bump the iso to above 1600 it's a great lens.

Dan Eskelson March 1st, 2013 08:53 AM

Hi Noa,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I used the digital zoom during the girl's performance. You have a good eye! It is barely noticeable to me, and likely invisible to many. (And who knows what Vimeo has done to the quality).

I also shoot at 24fps which could affect sharpness. Like you, I prefer the softer look.

As weather improves here I will experiment more with profiles for outdoor use.

Thanks to you and others here for sharing all the knowledge!