The EA50 and chroma-keying/green screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Major Player

The EA50 and chroma-keying/green screen

Just had an idea for a shoot that would need chroma-keying. Has anyone done any chroma-keying with the EA50, and if so, how were the results?
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: The EA50 and chroma-keying/green screen

Hi Dmitri,
I don't own a 50 but I have done quite a bit of chroma key work and there are two crucial rules when chroma keying using any camera.
1. First the obvious: Even screen lighting is crucial- Use your WFM to check eveness of screen lighting, you want to strive for a dead straight line, although a bit of drop off on the edges is manageable.

2. Not so obvious: keep your edge enhancement/ sharpness flat or off. High edge sharpness will make a good key more difficult as it wants to add edge acutance to the subject and screen proximity. This takes the form in effect, of adding an artificial band of contrast. (Credit to Barry Green for this tip- ref Panasonic 160A manual).

Apologies if you are an experienced GS shooter, but info always helps someone!
Cheers!
Rod
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
Just had an idea for a shoot that would need chroma-keying. Has anyone done any chroma-keying with the EA50, and if so, how were the results?
If I get this camera, I'll let you know in a week or so... I do weekly greenscreen filming for a show.
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the tips, Rod!

I've never shot with a green screen in my life, so all tips are welcome! :)

Have you any experience using smoke in the shots? I want smoke but I guess it won't work out all that good?
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi again Dmitri,

Thanks for that, glad to help.Smoke should be OK if it is lit well. Remember you are only keying out the green. I recently did a wine glass of red wine and was able to key through the empty part of the glass leaving the glass looking intact.

Here are a few more things to consider:
As I mentioned, The "key" to green screen success is lighting (terrible pun). You must have even lighting on the screen. Also, you must not allow any shadow to fall on the screen, so your subject will need to be well forward and side lit, not frontal.

And most importantly, (sorry if this is obvious) you must do a proper subject white balance. This is crucial, do not trust your eyes or a monitor, in very few minutes well lit green screens will play havoc with your visual perception of colour!

I use Edius 6.08 which has a superb chroma key module. It allows you to mask areas and clip the frame if the screen was not big enough to fill the frame. If you cannot do this then remember that your screen must completely fill the frame- rember- no green=no clean!
Best of luck and do let us know how you get on with the project..
Cheers!
Rod
PS:There are some fair tutorials on youtube too, always worth a look. (of course there is also some rubbish too as always!).
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks again!

Gonna do a first attempt tomorrow for a different thing, without the smoke...

I use FCPX and it seems to have decent built in functions for chroma-keying so the technical parts once it's filmed seems to be the easy part. But your tips regarding lighting etc are very valuable!
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
So here's a quick and dirty test... I just used the background for the TV show I make...
Attached are 2 jpg's and here's a short clip: Quick green screen test Sony NEX EA50. - YouTube

Note, her ear rings are shiny metal and DOES have tiny holes. I was amazed how that worked out!
Her hair could have been better, but it is better than HDV.

I want to get an ATMOS Ninja HDMI recorder so I can get 4:2:2 colorspace which would be dramatic improvement!

I am happy with this quick test. More backlight on her hair would have made this better. I just didn't have time to set it up right now.
Attached Thumbnails
The EA50 and chroma-keying/green screen-chromakeytest1.jpg   The EA50 and chroma-keying/green screen-chromakeytest2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)