DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Rolling shutter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/514866-rolling-shutter.html)

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 10:36 AM

Rolling shutter

This might be interesting for those interested how bad the rolling shutter is, I compared with my Canon 550d.

Jerome Cloninger March 8th, 2013 11:07 AM

Re: Rolling shutter

I'm curious... is that with or without image stabilizer on?

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 11:18 AM

the OIS was set to OFF

Jerome Cloninger March 8th, 2013 11:20 AM

Yuck! Well, I can't remember the last time I panned like that anyways ;-)

Jerome Cloninger March 8th, 2013 11:23 AM

I also wonder if there's a difference in it in the following:
OIS on or off.
25 vs 50p
30 vs 60p (for us across the pond)

I would thing its less at the higher frame rates since its scanning faster?????

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 11:23 AM

Yeah, it is a over the top test but it can be a issue for some, like if you shoot racing cars and a basketball game from a closer distance and the players run past you. I can think of a few occasions where you would do a fast pan. For me it's not an issue as I don't pan that fast either.

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 1783239)
I would thing its less at the higher frame rates since its scanning faster?????

I was smart enough to set up but camera's identical :) they where both set at 25P and a shutter of 1/100 and I think the f-stop was at f8, not sure though if other framerates, shutter or whatever would change anything.

Jerome Cloninger March 8th, 2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1783240)
Yeah, it is a over the top test but it can be a issue for some, like if you shoot racing cars and a basketball game from a closer distance and the players run past you. I can think of a few occasions where you would do a fast pan. For me it's not an issue as I don't pan that fast either.

I'll actually be filming at a racetrack next weekend (although my main reason is to not film the cars, but b-roll for something else) I'll play around there....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1783241)
I was smart enough to set up but camera's identical :) they where both set at 25P and a shutter of 1/100 and I think the f-stop was at f8.

Gotcha. Still wonder if there's a difference in 25 & 50p (or 30 vs 60 respectively) for the EA50.

Joel Corral March 8th, 2013 11:50 AM

Noa,

I can't tell if you like the EA50 or not? Seems like there are too many faults for your liking.

(please don't take this the wrong way i am wondering your thoughts)

JC

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 12:18 PM

haha, having second thoughts about your purchase? ;) - you do have one, right?

I think my personal work speaks for it self and I"m sure a experienced videographer could do much better then me as well. I only think it's important to know what is not good about the camera, I have seen enough people (including me) buying a camera based on a review to find out faults that where never mentioned, those are usually mentioned by real users after a while on the internet and then you hit yourself against the head. :)

I see some people misunderstand me if I show what's not good about the camera, I"m not complaining, I"m just sharing so that I hopefully help others make a better decision if this camera is for them. I also like to know the good, bad and ugly before I break the bank. That's why I don't like it when people say if something is not an issue when they have not seen the problem, it might not be for them but it might be for someone else but it is up to each user to decide for themselves. I also say when something is not an issue for me but at the same time I do show the problem so others can decide for themselves if they can live with it or not. That's why I also show my personal work so people can see you can make good stuff with it as well.

For my use, yes, I"m happy with the camera, it's better then my dslr, not that much but it's better, it's also more versatile, I have more control, more possibilities. I sure wish there where no shortcomings but that's to idealistic so I just work around those problems, like I have been doing with my dslr.

Joel Corral March 8th, 2013 01:43 PM

Although I have still a lot to learn about this camera, Absolutely not having second thoughts about my purchases (x3). With my boring workload (same shoot every week) I look forward to the new challenges shooting with new equipment. At first I had focus issues but I seemed to find a solution for now. My biggest gripe is the noise and lack of light sensitivity. Although most find the noise acceptable up to about 15db I don't really. Even at ISO 1250 its kinda noisy for my liking. Thankfully Magic Bullet Denoiser II works nicely to remove most of it.

JC

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 01:51 PM

Noise is another issue, yes, but also there are users happily shooting up to 5000 iso but I"m not one of them. I"m happily shooting up to 1600 iso and if really unnecessary up to 3200 iso and I"m using a painfully slow neatvideo to deal with excessive noise. How is the speed on Bullet Denoiser?

My ea50 has the same noise levels more or less then my 550d at the same iso level, I am coming from a xh-a1 so in that respect low light performance is MUCH better but compared to my cx730 the difference is less convincing.

I have started up such a free wordpress blog to write about my experiences about the camera, good or bad and to gather any user experiences I can find about the camera and categorize them better, this is just for fun, I won't post the link here as I think it's not allowed to use this forum to jumpstart your blog but I also don't want to take any attention away from this forum either, the blog will pop up in google sooner or later and whoever finds it and is interested to contribute can have their say as well. :) I think a forum is great but often good info gets buried deep in so many posts, my intention is to filter just what is important to know and group it so it's easier to find back.

Joel Corral March 8th, 2013 02:05 PM

Nice i am going to check out your blog! thanks!

Magic Bullet Denoiser is also painfully slow. And I have a pretty decent system. But results are excellent.

i7 3700s
32 GB RAM

Noa Put March 8th, 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Nice i am going to check out your blog! thanks!
It's started today so it's not indexed yet :)

Steven Digges March 8th, 2013 02:40 PM

Which US Canon model number is the 550D?

Steve