moire / aliasing comparison between Sony NEX EA50 and Sony NEX FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1
New Boot

moire / aliasing comparison between Sony NEX EA50 and Sony NEX FS100

moire / aliasing comparison between Sony NEX EA50 and Sony NEX FS100 using a Canon EF 24-105 f4.0 lens with Metabones EF to E-mount SpeedBooster adaptor (avoids cropping)
for a reasonable evaluation I highly recommend to download the original .mov file from vimeo. Do not exclusively look at it while playing but also at freeze frames. I recommend to run the player at original size 1920x1080, also do not look only at the most critical parts of the building but also e.g. at the window frames.

Torsten Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: moire / aliasing comparison between Sony NEX EA50 and Sony NEX FS100

Hi Torsten

...and your point is??? So the EA-50 produces moire now and again and so does the FS100 and probably lots of other cameras do as well my old Panasonics with tiny 1/4" CCD's also hated roof tiles and brick walls ... I guess the video says don't film buildings if you want pristine video?? Based on the fact that building are totally stationary why not take a high res still of a building and then pan across the surface? That way you can totally eliminate the problem.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Chris, you could also close your eyes and then the problem is also gone :)

Torsten, you where right that the download from vimeo in full screen makes a lot of difference, the vimeo compression sucks for comparison. I can see that the speedbooster does increase the moire a bit with the sharp canon lens and brings it to the level of the stocklens. Compared to the fs100, which I would expect it would be better because it has a video optimized sensor and not a photo one like the ea50 has, the ea50 is not that much worse as I could see the fs100 struggling as well so that was a surprise.

Is there a way to download a larger file from those boats? I get the message from vimeo it's a private file. Would really like to see that one in a much less compressed state.

Thx for your time to check, it's very valuable info for anyone that has a speedbooster on it's shopping list. It's now less worse then I expected, in the worst case, with buildings like this you could still use a normal adapter to minimize the moire and use a tripod and don't make any panning movements. Because your shooting handheld is what making the lines dance so much, I have had this in my coalmine video but I just kept the camera still, that one of the workarounds you sometimes have to do.

Edit: Chris, this is a moire test and a test to see how the speedbooster performs, that's the point, there are still people that do value image quality and don't want to spend a lot of money on a adapter that makes things too worse to use in a paid production. For me this video also tells me that the fs100 is better at handling fine detail, what was expected, but that the ea50 is not that much worse. The building is also about the worst you can get with moire so it's a good indication what you can expect in such a case. The reason why I like to see the boats video in high quality is that I want to see the aliasing issue and how that looks because that got me worried, again to determine if a speedbooster is worth it's prize.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #4
New Boot

I uploaded two clips of the original boats video footage to dropbox.
It's 1080p50 AVC directly from the EA50s SD-card

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52891157/EA50/00026.MTS
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52891157/EA50/00052.MTS

in the second clip (00052) it is interesting to see at 00:43 - 00:47 how the aliasing effect changes when I try to pull the focus (thin line at the black hull of the big vessel) - which is not a surprise of cause.
The moire in 00026 is worrying me much more because the scene is nothing that I had expected to be critical for moire
Torsten Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Major Player

That's ugly... I wonder if we could get these guys to make a filter for the EA50?
Mosaic Engineering Home

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)