DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Rolling Shutter Skew at Different Frame Rates (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515018-rolling-shutter-skew-different-frame-rates.html)

Jerome Cloninger March 13th, 2013 10:47 AM

Rolling Shutter Skew at Different Frame Rates

I immediately noticed less skew at 60p when I first got the camera.
Check it out...
This is NOT a scientific test. I tried to get the pans at equal speed. 24p was not converted properly in 30p timeline so it does look weird.

Joel Corral March 13th, 2013 11:14 AM

Re: Rolling Shutter Skew at Different Frame Rates

Well it is what it is. I remember going from my GL2 to HDR-FX1, I had to get used to the motion blur the HDV mpeg2 codec caused when panning, to me it was a adjustment when DV had basically no motion blur or at least a lot less. We learn what the limitations are and get used to shooting withing those limits....

JC

I think we need a thread of all the "good" this camera provides and why we like using it....

Jerome Cloninger March 13th, 2013 11:16 AM

Oh I'm not complaining. I'm just glad to know that I can definitely shoot at 60p and get less skew if I need to do faster action things.

Chris Quevedo March 13th, 2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerome cloninger (Post 1784125)
i immediately noticed less skew at 60p when i first got the camera.
Check it out...
sony nex-ea50 rolling shutter skew test at different frame rates - youtube
this is not a scientific test. I tried to get the pans at equal speed. 24p was not converted properly in 30p timeline so it does look weird.

wow!!! I totally see it!!!

Chris Quevedo March 13th, 2013 12:13 PM

hey so filming at 60p, that requires a shutter speed of like 125 right? cause its supposed to be twice the speed of the frame rate isn't it? and by the way does anyone really know "why" it has to be twice the speed of the frame rate? i don't get that.

Jerome Cloninger March 13th, 2013 12:14 PM

I dunno. But I've been doing at 1/60th just fine. 1/125 would be less motion blur.

Chris Quevedo March 13th, 2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Corral (Post 1784134)
Well it is what it is. I remember going from my GL2 to HDR-FX1, I had to get used to the motion blur the HDV mpeg2 codec caused when panning, to me it was a adjustment when DV had basically no motion blur or at least a lot less. We learn what the limitations are and get used to shooting withing those limits....

JC

I think we need a thread of all the "good" this camera provides and why we like using it....

i would love to see more films made with it. back in like august last year when it was announced i was always interested in it, but now that its out soooo few people post films made with it. tells me that as a camera its not too popular. but i still wish there was more work showcasing its strengths. all i ever see is videos made to highlight its weaknesses. i posted a new thread recently with a film that was recently made that i feel really shows what it can do with just an 18-200mm, and i gotta say i'm impressed.

some people film with it and make it look like crap like the evening news with the kit lens, others use the kit lens and it looks just amazing like a film.

Jerome Cloninger March 13th, 2013 12:25 PM

Yeah I just saw that post... it was great! I'm sure there are a lot more clips/films done with it but people aren't "tagging" it as the EA50 so they're harder to find? It's a sleeper camera because of all the "fan boy camps" don't like it for its weaknesses where I for one think that DSLR's have MORE weaknesses... I wish I had more time to do stuff... I'd love to go make some short films and the like. The problem I have is time... I'm always in a super rush to get the weekly TV show done and a few other things. This weekend, I'm filming a ton of B-roll at the speedway for a project for them. I know its going to be rush rush rush all 3 days, but I hope to get some really cool shots to show you all. I might not be able to "leak" much of the footage out, but I know I'll be able to post Saturday & Sunday's recaps.

I had a thought of doing a "Noa type short" driving to the office. IF I get time, I may do that soon.

By the way, I got my 35mm Rokinon Cine Lens in this morning. Played around with it a little bit and ITS NICE!!!! Makes me LOVE this camera even more now for indoors/lower light.

Noa Put March 13th, 2013 12:55 PM

Good test Jerome! It also confirms what I seen with my rolling shutter test, I did only check at 25P as I needed to compare with my 550d that can do 25p only in 1080p so I wanted to compare "apples with apples" but I didn"t even think of trying 50i or 50p.
25p seems to be much worse but for fast action sports you would select 50i or p anayway but it's good to know that these framerates produce less skew. Will add your video to my comparison.

Jerome Cloninger March 13th, 2013 12:56 PM

Good deal. Yeah we'll see how it does with race cars this weekend ;-)

Robert Moran March 13th, 2013 05:13 PM

60P definitely works for me on the 20 and 50.