DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   New Promotional Video Features EA50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515028-new-promotional-video-features-ea50.html)

Lee Berger March 13th, 2013 05:02 PM

New Promotional Video Features EA50

The more I use it the more I like it. I just finished this video for the Florida Association of Colleges and Universities. All interviews shot with the Ea50 using the 1.8 50mm lens. Some of the b-roll also shot using the kit lens. The slider shots, some classroom, campus exteriors, etc provided by Florida member colleges and universities. Others shot by me (check out student close ups with change in focus).

Noa Put March 13th, 2013 05:13 PM

Re: New Promotional Video Features EA50

This looks very good Lee, so if I understand you right are the "The slider shots, some classroom, campus exteriors, etc provided by Florida member colleges and universities" done with another camera or is this all ea50 footage? The interviews look very nice, can I ask what picture profile you used and what light set up was used for the interviews?

Jerome Cloninger March 13th, 2013 05:49 PM

Looks nice Lee!

Lee Berger March 13th, 2013 05:50 PM

Thanks Noa and Jerome. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. The donated stock footage is from a variety of cameras and most of it came to me as Mp4 files. A couple shots from Florida State University came in DVCPro HD. For the interviews I used PP 3 as it lifts the blacks a bit. I tried turning PP off for much of the exterior b-roll as was suggested in this forum. However I had blue sky sunny days and blacks in the shadows looked crushed so I went back to PP 3 for everything. I did a fair amount of correction with the three-way color correction in FPC 7 to try and get the b-roll to match (somewhat).
The interviews were lit with two Lowell Tota/Umbrellas (key and fill) and the backlight was lit with a Lowell Omni with tough frost and on a dimmer. I also dimmed one of the umbrellas for a bit of modeling. A fourth and fifth Omni was used for the background with a cookie.

Joel Corral March 13th, 2013 06:09 PM

Fantastic Lee,

One question, do you remember the ISO or gain settings you used for the interviews? Picture is clean as a whistle .

Lee Berger March 13th, 2013 06:17 PM

Interviews shot at 0 db, 1/30th sec. Some of the 50 b-roll shots are at :04, :13 - :20, :25, :51, :56 - :59, 1:00 - 1:09, 2:03 (+12db), 2:49, 2:48, 3:31 - 3:33, 3:40 (used face detection to focus during pan)

Joel Corral March 13th, 2013 06:24 PM

What was your lighting set up? if you don't mind.

Lee Berger March 13th, 2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Corral (Post 1784225)
What was your lighting set up? if you don't mind.

Please see the earlier response to Noa's questions.

Chris Harding March 13th, 2013 06:40 PM

Hi Lee

100% professional and perfect!! Who does the VO ..yourself? If so that's also an extremely professional voice too ... I doubt whether anyone could fault that production at at all.

Chris

Lee Berger March 13th, 2013 07:44 PM

Thanks for the praise Chris. I guess my intent in posting this video is to show that the 50 is more than an "entry level" camera. That it's suitable for all kinds of production from events to industrials and beyond. I have colleagues that I share an office suite who shoot with much more expensive cameras, but even they are impressed with the 50's look. It can't replace those more expensive cameras, and is much harder to use (aperture and focus) then a full size camera. I'm certain that it's given my videos a whole new look and feel.

I guest lectured at a community college intro to media class a few weeks ago. I decided to talk about how affordable the tools of production have become since I started in the early 1980's. Back then I would have been hard pressed to come up with the cash for even a decent camera, let alone affordable editing. That's all changed now and it keeps getting better and more affordable. Great news for professionals like ourselves who know who to use good tools.

The narrator is a professional from a voice over service. He was my client's choice and a good one at that.

Chris Harding March 14th, 2013 08:28 AM

Hi Lee

It certainly is way above an entry level camera. Every time I use it I'm quite impressed ... My Realtor was watching one of my property shoots on her computer (nice Mac with the new fancy displays) and I was even impressed with the IQ!!! Considering that I shoot my condition videos in FH mode (17 mbps) and then render to an SD DVD and a lower rate than my commercial and wedding stuff (I drop average rate from 6000 to 4000 so big houses fit on one DVD) the image was absolutely amazing. I think I need better monitors on my editing system now //I'm missing out of the great images!!!

BTW: What profile did you use on your interviews ..PP3 again???

Chris

Zach Cobb March 14th, 2013 01:06 PM

Nice job, Lee!

Noa Put March 14th, 2013 01:15 PM

Thx for the info Lee.

Steven Digges March 17th, 2013 11:35 AM

Great job Lee,

While you were teaching the media intro class you could have used those interviews as great samples. They are classic, text book, PERFECT. There is a reason some things are classic, must be mastered, and always useful. Good stuff.

Steve