ND Filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ND Filters

what sort of ND's do you use for the NEX-EA50? or what do you recommend would be best and give the best image? i've heard a lot of good things about Tiffen ND's, but why are they better?

anyone have thoughts on this or other similar accesories you use?
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ND Filters

Cheaper ND filters might introduce softness or colorcasts, I still haven't bought one but plan to do soon, I had my eye on a Fader ND Digi Pro and I heard good things about the tiffen to. There was allready a thread running about this: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...y-filters.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm quite pleased with the Genus GL GNDF-67 ND 67 mm Fader Circular Filter System. I shot with it all day at the beach yesterday and none of the footage exhibited any issues with the filter.
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Cheaper ND filters might introduce softness or colorcasts, I still haven't bought one but plan to do soon, I had my eye on a Fader ND Digi Pro and I heard good things about the tiffen to. There was allready a thread running about this: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...y-filters.html
yea sorry, i just thought maybe there might be filters that worked best with an NEX-EA50, didn't mean to break forum policy and make a duplicate thread, very sorry
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Spend heaps of money and you will be OK!! I was sold filters by a GOOD ?? camera shop and they were worse than useless and each one was $40.00 ...the image was red so that usually means IR contamination!! I buck the trend completely in bright light and shoot without ND's where I can but if it's really bright and I have a lot of movement and am forced to reduce shutter speed I then have an ND4 Kenko Pro Digital 1 which seems to work well...I just hate to put bad glass in front of good glass which is what a cheap filter will do ...I think the Kenkos were $60.00 each!! Same company as Tokina which make a nice lens so I trusted them!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #6
New Boot

The Heliopan sure feels good to use, and I think it looks really great most of the time, although there definitely is vignetting when zoomed right out.

It has become totally second nature to reach and turn the ND while watching the viewfinder and histogram as I set up a shot. I have absolutely no regrets buying a camera without the built in ND.

Darryl

Edit: Sorry, I just found the above link on an earlier thread. Sorry. That must have been where I saw it initially.

Last edited by Darryl N. Barg; March 18th, 2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: repetition
Darryl N. Barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #7
Major Player

I found this thread discussing the Heliopan filter, which I use - you do need to white balance, but you really should with any filter.

Heliopan fader ND at DVinfo.net

Not cheap, but along with the Genus, seems to be one of the best variable ND filters around.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

A soon as I get my Genus Eclipse I"ll post some test footage.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)