My first actual project with the EA50. BMS | Friday at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Major Player

My first actual project with the EA50. BMS | Friday

Here it is... slightly modified PP3 with little CC and slight levels adjusting. Shot 60p and daytime shots with 1/125 shutter. Evening and night at 1/60. Edited on Sony Vegas 12, 30p timeline with "force resample OFF" on all clips.
Day stuff with stock lens and Cokin variable ND filter (can't zoom in 100% and get focus with that thing, otherwise it's a good ND filter.)
Evening and night footage with Rokinon 35mm Cine Lens.
Fan audio with Audio Technica AT897 shotgun.
Oh.. .25% sharpening applied since I had detail set at -7.

I'm VERY happy with this camera.

Feel free to critique or comment! Keep in mind this was a balls to the wall day of covering all this... I shot MORE than what's in this clip for another larger project for them. Didn't have time to perfect the shots. Run & Gun Baby!
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: My first actual project with the EA50. BMS | Friday

Hey Jerome,

Nice man!! Was the day shots with the stock lens? Really impressive.
Did you shoot absolutely everything in 60p? I'm noticing it seems more and more people doing that lately. Why did you chose to shoot 60p when you didn't really seem to have any slow-mo?

I had a bit of a friendly disagreement of shutter speeds that are best for 60p video.

A friend of mine is convinced that for 60p video you need much higher frame rates like 1/1000 or more to get crisp slow mo, but I have read that similar to what you've done is closer to how it's supposed to be, 1/125 or basically twice the frame rate.

Can anyone help settle this dispute?
My friend is looking for some evidence of why my side of the argument is correct. Or am I the one that's wrong?
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris!
Yes day shots were stock lens. Manual zooming.
I will shoot everything 60p from here on out because skew and other rolling shutter effects are lessened. Shutter speeds.... well Ian Morris suggested I try 1/125 for a bit "grittier" look for the track stuff. It did look good in lcd and the cars going on the track I may bump up to 1/250 (or around that) sure, I'm not utilizing abd essentially am "dumping frames" by no slow motion and going to 30 but I'd rather not have as much skew.

As far as your friend goes... here's my take, do what YOU like. Everyone has opinions, some are valid and it ALL boils down to what YOU & your clients like. BMS was ecstatic with this clip... and I liked it. ALL that matters. I would do more different but no time and tomorrow is another (longer) day. ;-)
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Here's hoping that more good films and examples of this cam like you and Noa and Ian get posted.
And thanks for your thoughts.

Please continue to share your videos as they become available
Oh by the way, with that Rokinon 35mm during the evening did you stick to a certain aperture or did you just go for whatever aperture gives you exposure at the desired shutter speed? I watched it on my iPad so I didn't notice any grain or moire so maybe I just need a computer monitor or maybe none is there.

And any coloring done on this?
Sorry I'm like a endless source of questions. 2 years ago I was just a cashier at a bakery, now I'm somehow a director, producer and video editor that's thrown into this and I'm trying to just learn everything I can from anyone willing to share, especially on this forum since this is the camera I think I'm convinced I'll be getting
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Jerome

Magic skin tones too!! I just love PP3 for acurate skin tone results ... did you need to lift saturation in post at all or have you done that in the profile or in the NLE... The only thing I found lacking in PP3 is green seems down but you never had much green at the raceway but the colours are certainly vibrant!!

Yep I love these cameras they are really awesome.. (that's why I didn't hesistate buying a second one) and the stock lens does a pretty good job!!

Great video and should convince anyone still pondering whether this is the camera for them.

Magnificent job!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

great one! I particularly liked the shots with the girl holding the mike, very nice color and skintones but not too saturated and a nice slightly blurred background. I am also surprised how stable the handheld footage looks with your 35mm as that one has no build in stabilizer, that's something I don't need to do with my dslr without getting too much shake.
The whip zoom at 01:48 also shows you can also zoom fast enough manually with this lens. How did the camera handle all day because it looks like you filmed handheld all the time? Did it not become too heavy?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Great work Jerome! One more example of how this camera can be used successfully in a professional venue. By the way I on a recent project I filmed quite a bit of 30p traveling shots out the side of a car at around 25 to 30 mph. I looked closely at the footage couldn't see any skew on any vertical objects.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey thanks guys! Time is short because I have to get back to the track today but I'll answer questions maybe Monday when all this is over. Do you all want to see today's and tomorrow's clips too?

For those asking if cc done, check OP... slight cc. I did pop the saturation just a tad too make it more sports like.
Oh, this camera isn't for just anyone, so I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone pondering, UNLESS they can shoot manual and handle it. ;-) I LOVE IT THOUGH! Miss, I balanced the camera with a small weight at the rear. Yes, handheld or cradled under my arm ALL day. Not one tripod shot.

Ok I have to run.... oh, it was a nice surprise to see this clip in the video "hall of fame!"
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
oh, it was a nice surprise to see this clip in the video "hall of fame!
Don't expect a free ticket from now on, you have to earn it :D
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Don't expect a free ticket from now on, you have to earn it :D
HA! I don't expect a free ticket. Seriously, I thought it was good, but I see flaws in it and it was a surprise!
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

It's no competition :) it's just a collection of clips I like. The only thing I try not to select is test clips but more films that look finished.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It's no competition :) it's just a collection of clips I like.
I know. Just saying.... glad you liked it!
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
Hey thanks guys! Time is short because I have to get back to the track today but I'll answer questions maybe Monday when all this is over. Do you all want to see today's and tomorrow's clips too?

For those asking if cc done, check OP... slight cc. I did pop the saturation just a tad too make it more sports like.
Oh, this camera isn't for just anyone, so I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone pondering, UNLESS they can shoot manual and handle it. ;-) I LOVE IT THOUGH! Miss, I balanced the camera with a small weight at the rear. Yes, handheld or cradled under my arm ALL day. Not one tripod shot.

Ok I have to run.... oh, it was a nice surprise to see this clip in the video "hall of fame!"
Hey Jerome,

Yes please share more! I would love to see more!
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Trustee

Hey Jerome,

Nice job of capturing the NASCAR experience. We share something in common, I spent five years as the lead photographer at Phoenix International Raceway. Sounds like you working for BMS?

Working for the media department is very demanding. Mostly because of all the unknown work that goes into the shots to make sure the sponcers get exposure even when the shot is not about them. Sound familiar?

Your talent did a good job for you. Great work overall.

I would have one criticism. There were a couple of clips that were glaringly soft to me. Is backing off the detail that much and 25% sharpness worth it? When you missed just a little it really showed.

Good stuff, have fun out there and be safe. I know about the long hours, crazy fans, and moving cars. I found the hot garage one of the most dangerous places to shoot. Be careful.

Steve
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Hey Steven, this is actually my FIRST time at NASCAR and doing anything like this. There's so much ground to cover and needing to be in 2 and even 3 places at once. They gave me a golf cart but it's not "fast" enough... LOL! Next time I'll be bringing an assistant for sure!
I don't work for BMS... it's a long story, a cool one, but not for the public. I will say this is opening more doors for me though....

I understand your criticism and when I mentioned earlier to Noa that I thought it was good, but not great (or however I said it) that's part of it.. some out if focus shots... some not framed exactly how I wanted, etc. Today I had quite a few "oops" moments, but BMS is still very happy with it and my main contact person says I'm too hard on myself..... anyways, here's today's clip and again, I welcome criticism and comments!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)