Alpha or e-mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 19th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Alpha or e-mount?

I was about to order a 24mm f1.4 lens from Samyang at a German site (also called rokinon) but just when I was about to hit order I noticed a second version which is much more expensive.

The cheap one costs 469 euro and is called "Sony E-Mount Objektivbajonett"
The expensive one costs 632 euro and is called "Sony Alpha Objektivbajonett"

"Objektivbajonett" is in German but I guess either "e-mount" or "Sony Alpha" most matter.

Visually they both look the same, now I am in doubt which of the 2 will fit my sony nex ea50?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Alpha or e-mount?

E-Mount will be the one that fits.

Can you give me a link? im interested myself.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What's the difference then between both e and alpha mount that would explain such a big price difference considering they are both for a Sony camera?
the article can be found back here:

Old March 19th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Thx James for the confirmation, I just looked at a Dutch samyang distributors site to be sure about the difference and from what I read the e-mount is for their "nex" line up camera while the alpha mount is compatible with their "a" series.
I just ordered the lens, saved 260 dollar compared what the regular price is for this lens and it's even free delivered to my place from Germany. :)
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I ordered my Samyang 35mm Cine lens (or rather Walimex Pro) from Foto Walser Spezialversand .
And as I have a company and live within the EU but not in Germany they can (if you mail them and request it) remove the VAT directly from the order. Which is nice, so the lens was €400 inc shipping, I believe. The 24mm is €521+VAT though so it looks you made a great deal!
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I paid €394 excl vat delivered to my doorstep fore the 24mm, Aamazon.de allows you to buy vat free if you have a vatnr.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Major Player

That's good to know, thanks Noa.
For some reason I never consider Amazon for these kinds of things. In my mind they're still just an online bookstore ;)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:44 AM   #8
Trustee

Noa does this lens autofocus? and can it be used in auto? does it have macro ability?

Reason I ask is because im currently using a manual 24mm F2.8 lens with an M42 Fit with macro ability.

But I want this due to the fact it is 24mm but F1.5 and potentially autofocus due to being E Mount.

Let me know please as I may order one very soon.
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Inner Circle

No, this lens is all manual, the minimal focus distance is 9.84″ (24.99 cm) so no macro lens either.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks for that Noa.

Can I ask what difference it makes by buying an E Mount then? won't one for another make bought cheaper off ebay with an adapter do the same job?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I actually wanted to buy a canon mount lens so I could use it on my 550d's and with an adapter on the ea50 but when I saw the e-mount version of the Samyang lens was 260 dollar cheaper I decided to get it for the ea50 only. The closest Sony lens (sony 24mm f1.8) is twice that price and with such a fast lens I like to handle the focus manually so I don't have any use for any autofunctions the Sony might give me. Also the iris I don't want to the camera to control it and since I have the cine lens from Samyang that should have a smooth iris ring that allows gradual exposure changes.
The Samyang lens is the cheapest you can find at this moment, a Canon lens would be 3 times the price and even older comparable vintage glass might not be that cheaper. The Canon would probably be a bit better but for that price difference and if you use the lens for video then the Samyang can't be beaten (especially because it doesn't have hard clicks when adjusting the iris.) which is a big thing for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)