DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Genus Eclipse ND Fader filter test (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515213-genus-eclipse-nd-fader-filter-test.html)

Noa Put March 21st, 2013 11:08 AM

Genus Eclipse ND Fader filter test

Just tested my new Genus Eclipse ND Fader filter for sharpness at the lowest and highest ND value compared to the lens without a filter. The camera was manually white balanced and you can notice a slight color change with the filter as the color becomes a bit warmer. In sharpness there is hardly any loss, the image looks even more pleasing to me with the filter.

The shots with the stocklens where fully zoomed in. This is a very good filter, not cheap but worth the money. So Jerome, it's safe to get this one, no focusing issues at all. :)

Jerome Cloninger March 21st, 2013 12:03 PM

Re: Genus Eclipse ND Fader filter test

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1785737)
So Jerome, it's safe to get this one, no focusing issues at all. :)

SWEET! I'm buying!

Anyone want to buy a POS Cokin? JK, sending back to B&H.

Noa Put March 21st, 2013 03:43 PM

I also ordered 2 step down rings to fit the filter on different diameter lenses but one ring was crooked and wouldn't fit my 85mm, not a big deal and will ask for a replacement but only thing I didn't like about the Genus was that there is no filter cap supplied. A much cheaper filter I have did have a lenskap and considering the Genus price I would expect that to be standard delivered, but luckily that filtercap from the cheap filter fit's my Genus as well.

I got a phonecall today from another videographer who was sick and wasn't able to do a wedding this Saturday and asked if I could take over, as she makes documentary longer form style of weddings I was considering it would be a great opportunity to take my ea50 along, together with my 2 sony cx730's as 2nd unmanned camera and backup. I could leave my 2dslr's at home and don't use the steadicam either but will be taking my slider with me. With a bit of luck my 24mm f1.4 will be arriving tomorrow so could test that one as well.

Mm, that might be interesting...

Jerome Cloninger March 21st, 2013 05:50 PM

Yeah those step rings have some thin threads for sure. I'd personally like to see a bayonet type of mount, but oh well.

Sounds interesting about the Saturday wedding. I have one I need to get finished editing... but hopefully that lens will arrive for you.

Noa Put March 22nd, 2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

but hopefully that lens will arrive for you
It's currently mounted on my camera looking eagerly at me asking for some action. :)

Jerome Cloninger March 22nd, 2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1785909)
It's currently mounted on my camera looking eagerly at me asking for some action. :)

And like Mick Jagger said "I can't get no satisfaction."
Go find some action! LOL!
You'll have fun soon!

Wes Browning March 22nd, 2013 10:06 AM

Noa - I noticed you bought that for your 35mm lens (which I'm guessing is a 77mm thread). Did you get one of those for your stock lens too? Since that's a 67mm thread I'm wondering how well it works with the included lens hood.

Noa Put March 22nd, 2013 10:45 AM

I got the filter for my 24, 35, 85mm and stocklens, the filter fits my 24 and 35mm because both are 77mm and I got 2 stepdown ring to fit the filter on the 85 and stocklens.
The lenshoods don't fit anymore but I noticed the filter does have what looks like a screw thread on the inside, maybe to screw a custom lens hood onto that? Not sure about it.

Wes Browning March 22nd, 2013 11:06 AM

I just ordered the Genus Eclipse and it comes with a screw-on lens hood for an extra $5, so I added it to the order with some step-down rings.

I prefer the bayonet lens hoods since it offeres a good solid barrier to damage to the front of the lens. Hoods screwed to the filters don't seem to offer the same level of protection, especially since they're usually soft rubber. The best option would probably be a matte box, but I really don't want the hassle/bulk of rails on the camera.

One of the filters I've tested is the Light Craft Workshop 67mm Fader ND Mark II Filter. I didn't like it because of the texture in the bokeh, but it did worked slightly better with the stock lens and hood. From what I've run across, even the most accesible filters are difficult to rotate with the hood on because of the small amount of space to access it. Using a rubber lens hood on the filter may not offer the most in terms of protection, but at least it should be way easier to rotate.

Noa Put March 22nd, 2013 11:49 AM

Can you give a link to that screw-on lens hood Wes? I ordered from a Dutch store and I didn't see that listed.

Wes Browning March 22nd, 2013 12:21 PM

For those who haven't bought it yet, there's an option in the product info to buy it with (under the 77mm drop-down): ND Fader Filters : Eclipse ND Fader 77mm

You can get it separately here: Genus Hood for ND Fader circular filter system 77mm | Genustech Webstore

Noa Put March 22nd, 2013 01:19 PM

Thx Wes! I now found it at the Dutch store as well, it was listed separately, will order one next week

Peter Rush March 24th, 2013 10:54 AM

I used my Genus for the first time yesterday on a wedding shoot and noticed no ill effects - I was filming the B&G out in the snow - a proper whiteout and colour balanced by eye (using WB shift). I was using PP3 (left on by mistake) and the footage looks good, if a little washed out but is easily corrected.

Wes Browning March 28th, 2013 09:13 PM

I got mine a few days ago and love it so far. Did some tests outside and didn't notice any issues. The included hood however does creep into the shot when using the stock lens if you have it completely wide at 18mm. It goes away after about 50-55mm zoom (number 23 if you're using the numbers instead of bar for zoom indicator).

Jerome Cloninger March 28th, 2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes Browning (Post 1787235)
I got mine a few days ago and love it so far. Did some tests outside and didn't notice any issues. The included hood however does creep into the shot when using the stock lens if you have it completely wide at 18mm. It goes away after about 50-55mm zoom (number 23 if you're using the numbers instead of bar for zoom indicator).

What if you collapse the boot/hood when fully wide?