Added 52mm CU lens to the viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Added 52mm CU lens to the viewfinder

Hi Guys

For any that are far sighted and have to have the diopter adjustment fully counterclockwise I am delighted to discover that my +2 diopter 52mm close up lenses I ordered a while back and screwed onto the tube just inside the rubber eyecup brings the adjustment right back to the centre again. Works a treat for me so I have CU's on both viewfinder tubes now and total cost was a mere $3.20 each. Getting old and losing the ability to read tiny print is a bummer!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Added 52mm CU lens to the viewfinder

You're not old...like a fine wine just getting properly aged! Glad the 50s are working out so well for you.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Don

Aged yes and ready to be sampled but I cannot find a nice 26 year old curvy blonde hottie wine fanatic to sample me!!

My eyesight for distance is pretty much perfect...it's just close objects require reading glasses which are the cheap drugstore $5 variety and 2 diopter hence the decision to add the lenses as per the Sony manual. Worked out very well indeed too!

Yes, I'm loving the 50's ... focus is a wee bit slower than the Panasonics which had tiny 1/4" sensors but at weddings that isn't an issue ..I really love the touch screen focus facility in manual ...awesome for weddings!!

Hope the 700 is living up to your expectations too

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Tourist

Hello Chris Harding ,

I am very interested in finding a 52 mm diopter correction lens (+2) for my new Sony PMW 300
videocamera.To be mounted on top of the viewfinder. Can you help me with information where I can get it ?

Best regards
Aslak Aarhus, Norway
Aslak Aarhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Major Player

There used to be a company that made custom lenses for that type of viewfinder diopter. You might consider taking the VF lens to an eye doctor and seeing if they can make you a stronger custom lens.

By the way using a filter (clear for those of you with good eyes) on the EA 50's VF has the added benefit of protecting the plastic front element in the VF's diopter. I procrastinated in getting one. Kicked myself when I noticed that the coating had scratched from cleaning (covered elsewhere in this forum). Went ahead and replaced the diopter. Not cheap!
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

You can buy a close up ring set on eBay for a very small amount of money! 52mm is very popular so they are easy to find Most sets will have +1. +2, +5 and +10 so you should have an issue!! If you have shortened the viewing tube and are very far sighted then you might need a slightly stronger one. When I dropped my tubes down 2" I found the current closeup lens still had plenty of adjustment so I didn't need to replace the lens

52mm 1 2 4 Diopter Macro Closeup Lens | eBay

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)