DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   correct exposure indicator (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515245-correct-exposure-indicator.html)

Nino Defra March 22nd, 2013 01:36 PM

correct exposure indicator

hello,after some testing I'm missing an indicator of exposure as I had in the canon XH A1 ... what possible solution?

Noa Put March 22nd, 2013 02:10 PM

Re: correct exposure indicator

Ah yes, that bar that would tell you what the camera thought what the right exposure should be, miss that too. I sold my xh-a1 some days and currently am burning all that money on accessories. :)

I hate to say it but that's gone my friend, you need to use your zebra's and the histogram to judge exposure from now on.

Jerome Cloninger March 22nd, 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nino Defra (Post 1786017)
hello,after some testing I'm missing an indicator of exposure as I had in the canon XH A1 ... what possible solution?

HISTOGRAM! It's perfect! MUCH MUCH MUCH better than that little exposure bar!

Chris Harding March 22nd, 2013 07:06 PM

The Histogram is without a doubt, the most accurate but what I find is you constantly need to switch it in and out as it takes up too much space on the screen all the time...I leave zebras on as my primary indicator and set them to 90% so that gives me a quite close idea of what is overexposed and what is not..with run 'n gun you normally have little chance to sit and study the exposure so I use zebras and then sometimes use the histogram to check critical stuff when the cam is tripod mounted.

Chris

Jerome Cloninger March 22nd, 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1786064)
... but what I find is you constantly need to switch it in and out as it takes up too much space on the screen all the time..
Chris

I leave zebras, peaking and histogram on all the time. I wish I could assign a button to switch to black and white though as focusing is easier with B&W display.

Chris Harding March 22nd, 2013 09:48 PM

Hi Jerome

Is there any room left to actually see what you are filming?? I too leave peaking on so my image is always full of yellow lines and dots ...zebras left on are no issue for me

Chris

Jerome Cloninger March 23rd, 2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1786089)
Hi Jerome

Is there any room left to actually see what you are filming?? I too leave peaking on so my image is always full of yellow lines and dots ...zebras left on are no issue for me

Chris

Not really, I like going back and watching to see what I actually filmed.

Just Kidding. Yeah, not a problem for me. I'm used to it. Maybe from the 60d with Magic Lantern. I had the histogram on there with that. Speaking of, it would be nice to have the level indicator that Magic Lantern had on screen... that was nice.

Chris Quevedo March 23rd, 2013 08:40 AM

how good is the peaking? i know on the magic lantern hack it kinda sucks :-/

Jerome Cloninger March 23rd, 2013 08:42 AM

It's ok. I wish it was in between ML and what it is on this. Depending on how contrasty the scene is, I either have it set on Low or Medium.