Camera malfunctioning - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Camera malfunctioning

I guess this could be a situation where the Sony 'Prime Support' can be useful!?

I still haven't gotten a mail from Sony confirming my Prime Support registration... Anyone know if there's a way to register your EA50 with Sony other than via the place you bought it at?
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Trustee

Noa

Let me know how it goes with Prime support when you decide to send it in ... as I believe we both bought our EA50 from the same vendor (CVP? in UK?)

I'd like to see how they deal with the situation.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Inner Circle

No, mine came from a Dutch supplier but if I send it in I"ll post about that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Let me know how it goes with Prime support when you decide to send it in ... as I believe we both bought our EA50 from the same vendor (CVP? in UK?)
I'd like to see how they deal with the situation.
I bought mine from CVP, as well. Been in contact with them, they've been super helpful, but still no confirmation mail about Prime Support from Sony...
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
No, mine came from a Dutch supplier but if I send it in I"ll post about that.
Oh right ! yes, you don't live in the UK - that would make sense (*roll eyes*)

Don't know why I assumed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
I bought mine from CVP, as well. Been in contact with them, they've been super helpful, but still no confirmation mail about Prime Support from Sony...
Excellent, I haven't bothered contacting them about Prime Support.

I was under the assumption anything goes wrong, I contact CVP give them the camera, they then send it into Sony ??
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I understood prime support means they pick it up from your doorstep and deliver it back to you afterwards.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #22
Trustee

LOL

I sincerely hope Prime Support exists if the time ever comes to need it, and hopefully it isn't a figment of my imagination.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
LOL
I was not joking :) Found more here but not sure which prime support pack comes with the camera, they seem to pick and return the camera but a replacement camera is only provided with the first pack if teh repair is longer then 7 days: PrimeSupport after-sales service packages : Sony Professional
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #24
Trustee

Folks,

You really should be getting a communication from Sony pretty soon after you purchase your camera. I wouldn't assume that you are registered when you've heard nothing. When I got my NX70, the email came within the week.

Your dealer registers the camera with Sony, it's not possible to register it yourself. The Prime Support service is worth having if you're doing this for a living, make sure you're covered properly.

Maybe also check your spam folders in case an email from Sony was caught there.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #25
Inner Circle

In Australia it's different...Standard warranty support seems to be automatic ..I doubted this and emailed the service manager on our East Coast and confirmed that nothing needs to be done.

However Sony here also has what they call Commercial Support which costs $484.00 for 4 years cover and presumeably this covers a whole lot more so maybe that is your "Prime Support"?? Except we have to pay for it but you get a 4 year warranty.. I change my cams every 12 -18 months anyway so 2 years is fine for me. With the Standard Warranty, if the camera fails in the first 21 days they simply replace it (or refund you) (your choice and pay all freight costs too!! After that it goes to Sony for repair.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #26
Trustee

The regular Sale of Goods Act in the UK probably covers this, up to a point. As does a credit card purchase, where you would get some form of buyer protection.

But Sony Prime Support in Europe is not automatic - you absolutely do need to have some form of registration with Sony have have confirmation of it. They'll probably sort something out anyway if something goes wrong, but in Europe your dealer specifically MUST register you for Prime Support.

Sony EU does things differently to Sony USA and Sony Australia. It's not the same worldwide, just as Panasonic gives you nice Barry Green books for free in the USA but not here.

The value of Prime Support seems to correspond with your Ozzy$484 Chris. Normally it is around the 300GBP mark (depending on which camera).
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Folks,

You really should be getting a communication from Sony pretty soon after you purchase your camera. I wouldn't assume that you are registered when you've heard nothing. When I got my NX70, the email came within the week.

Your dealer registers the camera with Sony, it's not possible to register it yourself. The Prime Support service is worth having if you're doing this for a living, make sure you're covered properly.

Maybe also check your spam folders in case an email from Sony was caught there.
Quote:
The regular Sale of Goods Act in the UK probably covers this, up to a point. As does a credit card purchase, where you would get some form of buyer protection.

But Sony Prime Support in Europe is not automatic - you absolutely do need to have some form of registration with Sony have have confirmation of it. They'll probably sort something out anyway if something goes wrong, but in Europe your dealer specifically MUST register you for Prime Support.

Sony EU does things differently to Sony USA and Sony Australia. It's not the same worldwide, just as Panasonic gives you nice Barry Green books for free in the USA but not here.

The value of Prime Support seems to correspond with your Ozzy$484 Chris. Normally it is around the 300GBP mark (depending on which camera).

Well, well, well you were 100% correct.

I just contacted CVP they said they will register me now and I should receive an email from Sony in the next few days ...

Seems like you have to let them know you would like Prime Support. They don't just AUTOMATICALLY do it for you.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Seems like you have to let them know you would like Prime Support. They don't just AUTOMATICALLY do it for you.
That's mad. Prestons did it for me without prompting last time!
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
That's mad. Prestons did it for me without prompting last time!
Well in all fairness.

They did apologise 'for the delay' (don't know if that apology was in response to the delay in replying to my email, or the fact they hadn't registered the unit)

But, quite frankly I would expect it to be done within 28 days of ownership of the camera not months later.
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #30
Major Player

i've bought two Sony cams from CVP and they were automatically registered for Prime Support.
Not that i'll be getting anything Sony from CVP for a while - got a mail today stating that they (Sony) are increasing their UK prices by 9.5% from the start of next month.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)