25p to DVD, that clunky power zoom and slow motion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 25p to DVD, that clunky power zoom and slow motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Marlon

What menu settings do you have for the power zoom??? My zoom rocker is smooth as silk on both cameras ..however I have noticed that compared to last year's Panasonics, you need to press the rocker down a lot further to start zooming ...after that mine is very controllable ..I do however ONLY do very slow creep zooms and only at wedding cake cutting and document signing ..other than that my zoom is only used for framing shots

Chris
my power zoom is set to variable speed. its not a problem of "where" the lever start to zoom, but instead of a variable speed (like if you slowly start pressing, it goes 30% speed, 60%, 100%) it goes right to 200% and then skip to 30%.

i made a video from last night event, where the problem occurs: i slowly zoom out. when slowly zoom in, it gives the "kick" like i was pressing the lever all the way down. also, it goes faster the the fastest speed the lens usually go with the lever or the "high" setting on the lens zoom slider.

Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Trustee

Marlon,

Are you sure you have the 2X digital zoom turned off?
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

yes Steven.

the problem is "random", i zoom out, zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out, BAM! it goes crazy.

2 times it actually stopped zooming in and holding the rocker to zoom in didn't do anything,

the fact that the handle zoom works fine, and the side zoom controls on the lens works fine also, so, the problems is the rocker only.

tomorrow i will use the camera again and will try a few things, like reset the camera, change zoom settings, etc, to see what happens.

btw, there's no firmware update for this camera yet?
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Weird, have not seen this kind of behavior on my camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Trustee

I talked to a Sony Services Plus Technician (US Pro Support) last week. There is no firmware updates and no way for the user to reload the factory settings except the reset button. Your problem sounds mechanical to me, the contact point in the rocker.

Steve
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

tnks for the effort guys. will test tomorrow and see what happens ;)
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi everybody.

My zoom has developed the same annoying habit. It zooms like mad from Z00 to about Z15 and then stops dead. I have to release and press the rocker again to restart the zoom, which then continues to Z99 as normal.

It's not a rocker contact problem. It happens with both the rockers, on the side and on the top.

I'm afraid I started a new thread. My search didn't reveal this thread, maybe because there are a number of issues being discussed here.
Martyn Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)