DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Nikon Adapters with aperture control?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515397-nikon-adapters-aperture-control.html)

Chris Harding March 28th, 2013 08:54 PM

Nikon Adapters with aperture control??

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if any E-Mount to Nikon adapters have any aperture control at all... In conjunction with my Realty Condition Reports I also do some photography for the agents including interiors for their web site listings. For that I use a neat Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 on the Nikon D90 and it does an excellent job ... I now wondering how neat the wide angle Tokina would do on my stedicam shoots?? Focus is not an issue as even at F2.8 and at 12mm I'm in focus from 5' to infinity but with my big rig it's tough to have to worry about aperture. Any bright ideas unless I simply leave the zoom at F2.8 and let the EA-50 control both shutter and gain automatically ... Do any of the Nikon adapters also control iris for you or not?

Paul wags has an awesome Sony emount 10mm superwide but I really don't want to invest $1000+ for a lens I'm not going to use that much? Who is using Nikons on the EA-50?

Chris

Paul Wood March 29th, 2013 04:36 AM

Re: Nikon Adapters with aperture control??

Hi Chris,

Yes, both the Novoflex and MTF Nikon to E mount adaptors have an iris ring - you effectively get ´clickless´aperture control by using them - i use them with old Nikon lenses, as well as my Rokinon Nikon mount primes.

Justin Turner March 29th, 2013 06:08 AM

I have looked into these aswell as i have 9 pro nikon lenses that i shoot with my still cameras. The novoflex is around $250 but you can also find cheap $20 ones on ebay with the aperture ring. I can only imagine you get what you pay for. A novoflex will be coming for us no doubt

Chris Harding March 29th, 2013 06:12 AM

Thanks Paul

Ouch they are somewhat pricey for just an adapter!! For close to $500 I would have thought that one would get full function like the Sony lenses...That somewhat defeats the purpose if you add the cost of a super wide like I have (around $550) and then add the adapter ($481) you might as well buy the 10-20 SEL lens for $1K and have full function!!

Chris

Paul Wood March 29th, 2013 07:23 AM

Yep!

But I have heard of issues with light leakage and increased sensor reflection with cheaper adaptors - I guess some of the cheaper ones may have improved in quality - its been 18 months since I last looked.
There have also been issues of loose machining tolerances giving a poor fit to the camera/lens.
I have come from a Nikon stills background, so that influenced my decision in getting Nikon mount lenses in addition to the Sony e mount.

I have a $ 30 Chinese adaptor that lives permanently on a vintage Nikkor 80-200 lens, and have had no issues with it, but it has no iris control.

The only advantage I find of the MTF over the Novoflex is the ability to fit a rail mount support, locking the adaptor to the camera - but that is extra!
Overall, I would suggest the Novoflex as best value for money, if you can find one at the right price.

Chris Harding March 29th, 2013 07:41 AM

Hi Paul

Great.. the advice is appreciated. When using totally manual lenses with a physical connection only does the camera have to be told that "no lens communication is needed" ...I have used various primes but they all had electronic connection to the camera so I was wondering if the camera electronic come up with an error when it sees no connection between the lens and the body??

Chris

Noa Put March 29th, 2013 11:32 AM

My samyang lenses don't communicate with the camera and I can just screw them on and start filming, I use a kipon adapter and for the 24mm no adapter as that one is a emount lens; the only thing you will notice if you would select a function on your camera that would require specific sony lenses you get a big warning screen saying it doens't work.

Robert Moran April 1st, 2013 08:25 PM

I have four cheap adapters connected to my 40+ year old nikkors and each have an adapter connect enabling one to control aperture on the nikkors without issue. Ditto for two exata mounts for the angineaux and zeiss lenses, all of which I use with the 50 and 20.

Chris Harding April 2nd, 2013 12:45 AM

Thanks Robert

Any links to where one could find these ones?? The tokina only has 2 rings ..focus and zoom but not any iris ring ..all I really need to to keep it fully open!!

Chris

Nino Defra April 2nd, 2013 01:29 AM

hi, it might be interesting,Adattatore Canon - Sony NEX con diaframmi - Quenox - Anelli adattatori obiettivo - Adattatori per Sony E (Nex) - Ramaidea

but a good lens adapter nikon tips

Chris Harding April 2nd, 2013 04:48 AM

Thanks Nino

Now, I found these cheapie adapters on eBay here and they are supposed to allow control of the iris by using the little lever on the edge...Admittedly some say that the movement is a mere 15 degrees from fully closed to fully open but that wouldn't really be an issue for me.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

I wasn't looking at cost at all just for adapters that can sorta control iris and these were what came up!!

Think these might work?? Even if they don't $27.00 isn't too much of a disaster financially if it doesn't work too well .... What do others think?

Chris

Nino Defra April 2nd, 2013 05:29 AM

Hello Chris, I'm sorry but nikon lenses that have the ring of the diaphragm just a simple adapter, then the iris on the lens would be fine also manages one so Adriano Lolli or
Anello adattatore per ottiche con innesto Nikon AI AI-S su corpi
greetings

Chris Harding April 2nd, 2013 06:02 AM

Here is some more info on the other local adapters.

Sony NEX adapter for Nikon Lenses | Kent Yu Photography Blog

Chris