Frame Rate General Discussion - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 12th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Frame Rate General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hollingsworth View Post
Nevertheless, any thoughts on how to get the 108050P into final cut in the first place?
No idea as I am PC based and Edius, Vegas and CS6 will all edit 60P native.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Lightworks Pro 64bit will also edit native 50P/60P AVCHD but you will need a modern, fast PC with very fast Hard Drives or SSD media drives. (I prefer to work with 10 bit DNxHD transcoded files)

For more information, see Lightworks
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Lightworks Pro 64bit will also edit native 50P/60P AVCHD but you will need a modern, fast PC with very fast Hard Drives or SSD media drives.

Is that a lightworks requirement? Just asking because I still edit 1080p 50p on a previous I7 generation processor on 7200rpm single drives using edius with no issue, even when using 3 camera's in a multicamera sequence (all native formats)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #34
Regular Crew

No, not specifically a Lightworks issue. To edit any inter-frame acquisition format like AVCHD, you will need an optimised PC, especially the graphics board because of the Long GOP nature of the codec. Most laptops are unsuitable. Intra-frame codecs like DNxHD or ProRes are much less processor intensive so are a better proposition for really 'edit intensive' work. If you are just putting in the odd cut or dissolve, then you can edit native AVCHD.

Lightworks uses very refined, 'no frills' code so is a very fast editor - very intuitive. Out of all the PC based NLEs I have used: Avid, Vegas, etc Lightworks is the most satisfying. Perhaps it reminds me of cutting film the most. It is fast and fluent so one of the reasons it has been such a popular editor for cutting blockbuster Hollywood movies.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
To edit any inter-frame acquisition format like AVCHD, you will need an optimised PC,
I'd rather say you need a optimized NLE, I have a simple GPU card (gtx460) and besides a cut or dissolve I can also colorcorrect in realtime. I don't have any experience with laptops where I suppose you need a recent higher end one but for desktops you can get a more basic one without any specific hardware requirements if you edit with Edius.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Like Noa I use Edius and I normally edit 4 tracks of AVCHD native multicam from a single 7200 rpm drive with no problems and I do not have a fast graphics card either as Edius does not use the GPU for editing only some of the plugins and filters use the GPU. My PC is a low cost i7 2600K CPU, 16G RAM running WIN7. I also have CS6 and Vegas so can also say that they will not edit native files as well as Edius, Vegas easier than CS6 on my system. You only need intermediate codecs if the system is incapable of editing realtime native and then I agree you will need fast drives because data rate has been used rather than processor power.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I work with a low spec i3 laptop which is why I use timecoded DNxHD or timecoded MJPEG proxies then render from uncompressed intermediates to an uncompressed 10 bit AVI Master. One of the reasons I transcode my AVCHD to proxies and intermediates with AWPro is that it will generate and embed identical timecode into proxy and intermediate at the same time - also a great workflow for DaVinci Resolve.

I've not used Edius but it is highly regarded. Lightworks free is free and Lightworks Pro 64bit is only a $60 annual subscription - including all future upgrades.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)