DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   I think I found a nice adapter for quick release filters!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515830-i-think-i-found-nice-adapter-quick-release-filters.html)

Jerome Cloninger April 15th, 2013 09:31 AM

I think I found a nice adapter for quick release filters!!!

I've been looking for clip on rings for my Genustech Eclipse ND as going from indoors to outdoors is troublesome (when needing the ND filter on or off.) I just ran across these! Products

Its a magnetic mount for lens filters!!! Of course my first reaction was "can the magnets interfere with the operation of the camera?" There's a page on that too: Please Watch This It appears safe. I do wonder about internal motors for IS, focus, etc as this isn't mentioned, but I'm seriously thinking about ordering a kit to check out.

Thought you all would like to check these out too.\

EDIT: Here's a nice review of them here:

Noa Put April 15th, 2013 09:48 AM

Re: I think I found a nice adapter for quick release filters!!!

You want them, I got them :b

Ordered them 2 weeks ago as a quick solution to add and remove my nd filter but I do have an issue with the combination. The xume rings screws on easily and the magnet is strong enough to hold the filter without worrying that it might fall off but..if I add my variable nd filter there is a added tension to the ring when turning it so selecting a different nd value is not that smooth anymore and because the tension adds up on certain points while I turn the nd filter, the xume ring that is attached to the lens comes loose and I have to thighten it each time, not very usable in that way.

It's ok to add on a fixed nd filter since you will pull it off and snap it on but in case of a variable nd filter it doesn't seem to work well.

Jerome Cloninger April 15th, 2013 09:53 AM

Are you serious? Well that isn't good news.... ugh.

Noa Put April 15th, 2013 10:10 AM

I"ll try to post a video the following days showing the problem.

Jerome Cloninger April 15th, 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1790597)
I"ll try to post a video the following days showing the problem.

Sounds good...

Stephen Brenner April 15th, 2013 01:11 PM

Was there any vignetting on wide angles?

Noa Put April 15th, 2013 02:13 PM

I just tried it again and there seemed to be some "dirt" in the genus nd filter rings because I also heard a slight grinding noise, after turning it several times it became smoother, it was that extra friction that caused the xume ring to detach or to cause the xume adapter to turn inside the magnetic part of the ring. Now the xume ring didn't dome loose anymore but would occasionally turn inside the magnetic part where both rings join, this was also a result of a bit too much friction on the nd filter. Also when I tightened the xume ring too tight to the nd filter it would also have more friction when I turned it. It does work but not as smooth as I expected.

Jerome Cloninger April 17th, 2013 09:08 AM

Soooo think its worth having?

Noa Put April 18th, 2013 01:50 PM

This might be better:
HolyManta internal ND lens Adapters | FundedByMe - Fund your project through social networks

But to come back to your question, I think it might depend how you use it. If you need to adjust on the fly while recording I would have doubts. In my case I see it as less of an issue if the adapter would turn inside it's magnet ring, for outdoor I probably will just select a suitable nd value and start shooting with it and tweak the iris a bit, for me it's less important to have a realtime nd filter ring, I"m happy if I can just select a appropriate nd to keep my shutter at 1/50

Jerome Cloninger April 19th, 2013 09:40 AM

That device does indeed seem interesting.

Noa Put April 22nd, 2013 04:39 AM

Jerome, used the xume magnet at the wedding last saturday and it was ok, it only came loose once and after I fixed it again it stayed like that. It was great getting that nd filter on a off in a snap, saved me plenty of time and I would say: go for it. :)

Gabe Strong April 22nd, 2013 10:06 AM

I have the Xume system. It's awesome. But to speak to the mentioned problem......

I have two variable NDs. The Heliopan in 77mm and the new Genus Eclipse in 82mm. All my
lenses get a step ring to either 77mm or 82.....the wide lenses get 82 to keep any vignetting from
occurring. Then a Xume lens adapter. Both my variable NDs get a filter holder. Now I have
two setups, one wide, one tighter for a wedding, interview or whatever, one on my FS100
and the other on my VG20. Now the Xume system with the Genus works fantastic. But the
Heliopan variable ND has a little screw on it which controls the tension. If its tightened down,
turning the variable ND has a lot of friction and can cause the entire filter to rotate inside the
magnetic filter holder. Solution, loosen the little screw on the Heliopan so that it has about
the same tension that the non adjustable Genus comes with. Problem solved in my case.
My guess (and I could very well be wrong) is that Noa has the excellent Heliopan filter and is
running into this problem.

Jerome Cloninger April 22nd, 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1791831)
Jerome, used the xume magnet at the wedding last saturday and it was ok, it only came loose once and after I fixed it again it stayed like that. It was great getting that nd filter on a off in a snap, saved me plenty of time and I would say: go for it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 1791879)
I have the Xume system. It's awesome....... the Xume system with the Genus works fantastic.

Thanks guys! Since I have the Genus, that'll work for me!

Noa Put April 22nd, 2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 1791879)
My guess (and I could very well be wrong) is that Noa has the excellent Heliopan filter and is
running into this problem.

I have the Genus, I had some added tension to the genus rings after I attached the xume ring but last Saturday it went quite well.

Jerome Cloninger April 22nd, 2013 10:27 AM

Noa, the FAQ metions that using step rings are not recommended. You're using them right? It said something about the added weight may make them not as strong.