DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   EA50 recording in 10 minute segments? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/515856-ea50-recording-10-minute-segments.html)

James Manford April 16th, 2013 12:36 PM

EA50 recording in 10 minute segments?

Is this normal and what's the reason for this?

I filmed for 25 mins non stop.

Was left with 2 x 10minute clips and a 5min clip.

This was in 50p Progressive.

Noa Put April 16th, 2013 01:04 PM

Re: EA50 recording in 10 minute segments?

How did you import the footage from the card? This version combines longer continuous files correctly: Sony Creative Software - Download: Content Management Utility

Joel Corral April 16th, 2013 02:06 PM

thats normal if you connect to pc using drag and drop. thats how i do it. its not even an issue for me in post.

Noa Put April 16th, 2013 02:27 PM

So you don't use the cmu to download the files? You do get framedrops between joined files if you just drag and drop the separate files, unless you use your nle to handle the import but it will import the entire folder structure from the card. If you use the cmu it joins longer files and you don't have a confusing folder structure if you look at your files on the harddrive.

James Manford April 16th, 2013 02:55 PM

I'm downloading the CMU

I've been drag & dropping. And I don't want frame drops in post.

Thanks for the help.

Joel Corral April 16th, 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1790827)
So you don't use the cmu to download the files? You do get framedrops between joined files if you just drag and drop the separate files, unless you use your nle to handle the import but it will import the entire folder structure from the card. If you use the cmu it joins longer files and you don't have a confusing folder structure if you look at your files on the harddrive.

Nah, I open up the stream folder > copy to drive> import folder into PPRO CS6. No frames dropped. I hate third party software.

JC

Noa Put April 16th, 2013 05:28 PM

That's what I said, if you let your nle handle the import the files are joined in a correct way when it has the entire folderstructure with all metadata, edius does this too, but you still have a clutter of files and folders on your harddrive if you want to access the files directly.

With sonys software you don't have any of that, just the actual files, say you shoot continuously for 4 hours, your way means many files and folders on your harddrive, my way means 1 file on my harddrive, what could you possibly hate about that?

Peter Rush April 24th, 2013 08:53 AM

Wow this has really confused me - five weddings in using the EA50 and it's just started recording in 10 minute segments!!! I filmed a catholic ceremony and it gave me a full one hour clip - then changed the card (all my cards are formatted in the camera), went to the reception to film the speeches and it's given me 4 x 10 minute long clips - i haven't changed any settings - what gives!!

Plus where the clips join the audio dips out - this is not good for my workflow!!!!

Noa Put April 24th, 2013 08:57 AM

Do you get that issue when you use the content browser to import?

Noa Put April 24th, 2013 09:07 AM

I just checked on my card and I also get 10 minute recordings and the files are just a bit bigger then 2gb each, when I use the content browser to import I get 1 file with no image or audio loss where they join.

Peter Rush April 24th, 2013 09:10 AM

No i don't use content browser but my last 5 weddings have given me full length clips - anything from 30 minutes to well over an hour - it's just started to record in 10 minute clips at the last wedding - no settings have changed and I format all my cards in the camera

Noa Put April 24th, 2013 09:13 AM

Don't know why that has happened but use the content browser and your problems are gone: Sony Creative Software - Download: Content Management Utility

Peter Rush April 24th, 2013 09:22 AM

Does the content browser work with all AVCHD files? I use a mix of the EA50/VG20/TM900 and the cards get stored in the same card carrier once used - will be a pain to segregate the cards for the EA50

This could be a real PITA as I never import directly from my other cameras as USB3 is way quicker (2 or 3 times quicker than using the USB from my TM900 cameras) This time of year I do many back to back weddings and have to back up all my media at night when I get home to reuse the next day (sometimes as much as 200GB) - takes over an hour already

Can i use the content browser to import from a card reader or does it need to be a card in the camera?

I still don't understand why it's suddenly decided to do this! I've 2 big weddings at the weekend - a Catholic mass and an Asian wedding - both featuring really long shots which up to now have not been a problem :(

Noa Put April 24th, 2013 10:33 AM

During the installation process you need to connect the camera but after that you can use a cardreader only connected to usb 3.0, the content browser does work with my sony handicams as well, there is only one way to find out if it works for you :)

Ron Evans April 24th, 2013 01:51 PM

I think all the Sony consumer and NX range of cameras even the EX1/3 use the FAT32 file system so will have a limit of about 20 mins depending on data rate. If you look at the card with either the Content Management Utility, PMB or PlayMemories there will just be one clip shown for each shot. If you use the software to transfer there will only be one file and it will be named the date and time it was shot. Much better than a bunch of files that all say 00000mts !!! I shoot multicam with my NX5U, NX30, CX700, XR500 and SR11 transfer into directories for each camera and backup. Yes, I use a USB 3.0 card reader too as the USB from the CX700 and NX30 are really slow. The software correctly identifies too. PMB and PlayMemories will transfer all sorts of image and still files including EA50 files.

Ron Evans