Prime lenses for EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Tourist

Prime lenses for EA50

Well...
As a new user of EA50 camera I have found that the kit lenses are not satisfied for filming a wedding especially in low light. So what prime lenses do you recomend for low light. Shall l buy lenses with E mount or with adaptor? I would like that the lenses have auto focus and stedyshot.
Calin Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Prime lenses for EA50

The world is your oyster when it comes to lenses.

E-Mount is simply if your after autofocus abilities. And in that range, the only one I think that is worth having is the reasonably priced SEL35F18. Or if you want to stretch your budget even more the Carl Zeiss 24mm F1.8

If your a manual focus guy (like me). You can buy anything ... at very low prices as well.

Read reviews, see a lens that you like, buy the adapter and the lens - done :)
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
If your a manual focus guy (like me). You can buy anything ... at very low prices as well.
Yeah, like that rare Tamron SP 01A 35-80mm 2.8-3.8 CF adaptall 2 macro lens I got for 95 euro from ebay a few days ago. Should be here this week, can't wait to try. :)

Personally shooting in low light with fast lenses with auto focus enabled is not a good idea, autofocus only works well if you have sufficient light, even touch focus could be fooled and give a out of focus image when it gets too dark. If you want cheap and good lenses get Samyang (also called Rokinon) cine primes, they have a smooth iris ring and have a solid build and are cheap. But they are all manual.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I know this is a forum for the EA50 but also I know a lot of you guys do weddings, so I'm curious as to how you cover a wedding using prime lenses - for me the kit lens is not good in low light but I cannot imagine not being able to use the zoom to reframe - especially during the ceremony - I suppose at other times a prime might be suitable, when you can physically move closer to your subject - but surely getting tight shots for facial expressions/rings etc is crucial and you can't do it unless you use a zoom - here in the UK we're pretty much not allowed to move around during the ceremony so reframing with a zoom is the only option

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I only use primes in controlled situations so that is not in a church but at the venue at the reception and evening party, but like you said the stock lens is too slow, I"m planning to get a faster zoomlens one day but probably will be looking into some vintage glass as those are much cheaper.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I know this is a forum for the EA50 but also I know a lot of you guys do weddings, so I'm curious as to how you cover a wedding using prime lenses - for me the kit lens is not good in low light but I cannot imagine not being able to use the zoom to reframe - especially during the ceremony - I suppose at other times a prime might be suitable, when you can physically move closer to your subject - but surely getting tight shots for facial expressions/rings etc is crucial and you can't do it unless you use a zoom - here in the UK we're pretty much not allowed to move around during the ceremony so reframing with a zoom is the only option

Pete
It's not THAT difficult to manually focus a lens tbh.

The peaking on the EA50 is amazingly good. Very easy to focus back and forth. Just have to remember, which way you turn to focus on a subject in front and back. If you memorize that, it's straight forward even under pressure.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi James - focus is not the issue - it's reframing - during the ceremony I like to go from close ups (rings/faces for vows etc) to a two shot of the couple and then to a wide shot encompassing the officiant - none of which is possible with a prime.

Regarding pries though - does peaking still perform well with Samyang/Rokinon lenses such as the ones Noa uses?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I only use primes in controlled situations so that is not in a church but at the venue at the reception and evening party, but like you said the stock lens is too slow, I"m planning to get a faster zoomlens one day but probably will be looking into some vintage glass as those are much cheaper.
The downside of this is the lack of IS - I'd have to use a monopod which might be a bit restrictive with a lot going on around me - having said that the Samyang 85mm F1.4 is only £260 so I might buy and try it!

DOF at 1.4 might be a challenge though!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
does peaking still perform well with Samyang/Rokinon lenses such as the ones Noa uses?
Yes, it does work well.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
The downside of this is the lack of IS - I'd have to use a monopod which might be a bit restrictive
I do shoot handheld with the 85mm samyang lens, you can't compare it with a stabilized lens but it is much better then shooting handheld with a dslr, I have used all footage shot this way without any form of stabilisation in post.
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use a selection of magnificent Carl Zeiss SLR prime lenses with rails, matte box and follow focus. These wonderful lenses have a 'huge' focus rotation and are cost effective when bought 'used' from Germany on ebay - note: you'll need to search ebay.de.

Buy the 'contax' mount lens versions, perhaps one or two Mutar 2x Extenders, then mate them to your NEX camera with a Metabones C/Y>NEX 'Speedbooster'. With this adapter, you'll retain the original Full Frame 35mm lens field of view, you'll benefit from an additional stop of light and for your trouble, you can't beat that classic Carl Zeiss 'film' look!

Last edited by Craig Marshall; May 10th, 2013 at 04:23 AM.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

A faster lens would be a huge asset for me in dark Churches and I was looking at the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 all the way thru to use as a zoom ... I usually only need to re-frame when the couple begin their vows and there is plenty of time to zoom in and focus in that scenario. My other use of a faster zoom would be on main camera for speeches. My stock lens is probably around 40 -50mm on the speaker at the lectern and is also not at F3.5 any longer but at F4.5 so I lose a heap of light there.

I'm sticking to Nikon mounts as my stills setup is all Nikon ...anyone got anything good or bad to say about the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 ???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)