EA50 - B camera ideas at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 42
EA50 - B camera ideas

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while and have been both enjoying and educating myself!

I joined up to ask a question about a suitable 'b camera' to accompany the EA50 - My heart and head is set on the EA50 as it ticks a lot of boxes for corporate/wedding/broadcast work.

Mainly for the wedding work I will also need a 'b camera' - I'm hoping someone here can give personal opinions or suggest a few suitable options.

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic GH3 - but I was also considering the Sony NX30. I've mainly worked with Z1's before this so to have these options to hand now is a huge jump in picture quality. Feel free to throw out other suggestions that may work - max 1800euro/2000USD. If cheaper options available I'd consider buying 2 x 'b cameras'

At the moment though, my main question concerns matching footage between the EA50 and the GH3/NX30: Would it be a tricky ongoing issue or a simple process once established? Would love to "sign off" on this once and for all as I don't think I can spend much longer researching stuff online!

Thanks in advance.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,380
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

To match footage you absolutely cannot go wrong with either a Sony NEX 5N (cheap as chips), VG20 or VG30.

I would personally go for the VG20 purely for the fact a pre-owned one on ebay can be had for well under £1000 now.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,682
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Get the VG20 or 30. A good sensor march like that is hard to find. And the new VG30s come with the same lens as the EA50 so your golden.

Steve
__________________
www.CorporateShow.com
Been at this so long I'm rounding my years of experience down...not up!
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 818
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

I have a FS100 for my A camera. I found a VG20 on eBay from a video dealer ( out of respect for
DVinfo sponsors I won't name names) for under $1000 and it was a demo unit, practically
brand new. It has been a fantastic B cam, I will be posting comparison footage soon.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 42
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The vg20 and vg30 were both options I looked into after reading this forum but the Panasonic won me over as I can use it for timelapse and stills - and it's readily available from an EU supplier. I'd prefer to buy new, as opposed to second hand or grey import - have been stung before...

The NEX-5N is an impressive little camera! Thanks for that, I found this clip which makes it even more worthwhile considering:

I was speaking with someone last night and they said that unless you have two of the same cameras, the image will not be the same, so there will always be a need to adjust/match footage. Makes sense. I'm sure a Sony option already suggested may be closer to the EA50 than a Panasonic GH3. Or am I over-thinking it?
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,380
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan James View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions.

The vg20 and vg30 were both options I looked into after reading this forum but the Panasonic won me over as I can use it for timelapse and stills - and it's readily available from an EU supplier. I'd prefer to buy new, as opposed to second hand or grey import - have been stung before...

The NEX-5N is an impressive little camera! Thanks for that, I found this clip which makes it even more worthwhile considering:
wedding video with sony nex 5n - YouTube

I was speaking with someone last night and they said that unless you have two of the same cameras, the image will not be the same, so there will always be a need to adjust/match footage. Makes sense. I'm sure a Sony option already suggested may be closer to the EA50 than a Panasonic GH3. Or am I over-thinking it?
Very true.

If were talking about buying new. Then I would personally go for the NEX 5N due to price. It is also a fantastic, discreet little camera. Very unobtrusive. And perfect to take with you on holidays as well !

That wedding video above is awesome ... and just shows what it is capable of in the right hands!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
That wedding video above is awesome
I had been thinking of getting a nex6 and supply it with a 14mm wide angle for my blackbird steadicam untill I saw how much moire it produced, much worse then the ea50. The footage in above trailer from the nex5 does look ok but I don't like how the camera handles highlights, then I think the bmc pocket camera would be a much better alternative as it's just a bit more expensive and from what I have seen so far it's sharper and handles highlights much better, but no 50p on that one unfortunately.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,380
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I had been thinking of getting a nex6 and supply it with a 14mm wide angle for my blackbird steadicam untill I saw how much moire it produced, much worse then the ea50. The footage in above trailer from the nex5 does look ok but I don't like how the camera handles highlights, then I think the bmc pocket camera would be a much better alternative as it's just a bit more expensive and from what I have seen so far it's sharper and handles highlights much better, but no 50p on that one unfortunately.
Seems like every camera has it's pro's and con's.

The BMC Pocket has the same form factor as the NEX 5N so will be a good option too.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Seems like every camera has it's pro's and con's.

The BMC Pocket has the same form factor as the NEX 5N so will be a good option too.
Yep, there is no such thing as a "perfect" camera. I've said it for years, different tools in the toolbox for different jobs.
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,380
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Yep, there is no such thing as a "perfect" camera. I've said it for years, different tools in the toolbox for different jobs.
This quote could not be more relevant.

From Philip Blooms facebook page:

"Donít get it. Bought same tennis racket as that Federer fella yet I am still sh*t. #NoMoreAnalogies :) learn with what you have!!!"
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 42
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Yep, there is no such thing as a "perfect" camera. I've said it for years, different tools in the toolbox for different jobs.
Thanks for posting this - I'm still leaning towards the GH3 as a 'b camera' as it offers more options being a video camera and alternate DSLR-type camera. It can get confusing looking up the multiple options - they're all good for something! But I think the EA50 and GH3 combination will best suit my workload this year.

Thanks everyone for all the input, much appreciated. Won't be using both cameras in combination until mid summer but will post up some clips for reference when I have them.
Ryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 286
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Get the VG20 or 30. A good sensor march like that is hard to find. And the new VG30s come with the same lens as the EA50 so your golden.
At least here in Sweden, the VG30 costs almost as much as the EA50, so then a second EA50 would be a better buy. Personally a used VG20 without lens would be the best if the price was right.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Duisburg
Posts: 93
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

As far as I know, these cameras share all the same sensor:

NEX-5 + VG10
NEX-5N + VG20 + NEX-5R + VG30 + EA50

I like the ability to tune your image via the picture profiles with the EA50. With no pp, I really don't like the picture out of the EA50. Very harsh highlight handling, very poppy colours, sharpening artefacts... All in all very videoish or DSLRish. With some tuning or profiles from Abel Cine like the JRE45cine2, the picture is much more cinematic with the ability to save highlights and shadows in post.

Please correct me, if i am wrong here:
The VG line does not offer any picture profiles or similar funtionality, absolutely nothing.
The NEX-5N/R offer some picture profiles, which are very poor and simple but nevrtheless better then nothing. I believe that I can produce a more cinematic look with the 5N/R so one of these will be my future B cam.
Some input to tweak the 5N/R here:
Flaat Picture Styles fot the Sony NEX-5N - www.similaar.com
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,380
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Wittbusch View Post
As far as I know, these cameras share all the same sensor:

NEX-5 + VG10
NEX-5N + VG20 + NEX-5R + VG30 + EA50

I like the ability to tune your image via the picture profiles with the EA50. With no pp, I really don't like the picture out of the EA50. Very harsh highlight handling, very poppy colours, sharpening artefacts... All in all very videoish or DSLRish. With some tuning or profiles from Abel Cine like the JRE45cine2, the picture is much more cinematic with the ability to save highlights and shadows in post.

Please correct me, if i am wrong here:
The VG line does not offer any picture profiles or similar funtionality, absolutely nothing.
The NEX-5N/R offer some picture profiles, which are very poor and simple but nevrtheless better then nothing. I believe that I can produce a more cinematic look with the 5N/R so one of these will be my future B cam.
Some input to tweak the 5N/R here:
Flaat Picture Styles fot the Sony NEX-5N - www.similaar.com
The VG30 has picture profiles ... don't know if it is similar to the EA50's PP.

And I agree about the video quality of the EA50 with no picture profile selected ...

It's too bright, colourful in my opinion and video-ish as you say!

I like my modified PP3 I think it's the CineAble look.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Duisburg
Posts: 93
Re: EA50 - B camera ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
The VG30 has picture profiles ... don't know if it is similar to the EA50's PP.
As far as I found out, there's nothing like the EA50 picture profiles on the VG line, not even something close.
I really cannot find any information about this. But I know, that the VG10/20 don't have this feature. They have just 1 "cine-like" thing with no further tweaking possible. DIal it in or not...
This is my biggest complain together with the rolling shutter, which was way more on the VG20 than with the EA50.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network