DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Adapter for Canon EOS EF Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/516208-adapter-canon-eos-ef-lenses.html)

Peter Rush April 30th, 2013 06:18 AM

Adapter for Canon EOS EF Lenses

I think using my 70-200 2.8 Canon EF Lens will be good for low light receptions - I gather focus peaking on the EA50 will still work so i'm not too bothered about autofocus - I would like IS to work though which I think it should as it's a function of the lens - or am I wrong and it requires something from the camera?

I'd rather avoid the metabones as it's a bit pricey and seems not to work for some people

Pete

Erik Wittbusch April 30th, 2013 07:09 AM

Re: Adapter for Canon EOS EF Lenses

If you want something that works (and your camera works correctly), take the Metabones Smart II.
Here's a list of the lenses that do work:
Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II

Mine is working fine so far. I don't know anybody personally with a problem. Some people just don't read the manual and forget to calibrate or how to use the 2 different modes on the adapter.

If you like experimenting, try one of the cheap chinese copies...

Peter Rush April 30th, 2013 07:22 AM

Hi Erik - As This lens will be helping me out in very low light situation then I'll be constantly at F2.8 and by Metabones own admission their autofocus is not up to scratch...

"Autofocus speed is very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts."

...Using this adapter may be expensive overkill for me

Pete

Erik Wittbusch April 30th, 2013 07:50 AM

No adapter will introduce sufficient AF for videowork.

Neither the lens, nor the AF motors are designed for this kind of work.

But, to be honest, I can't understand anybody wanting AF with a big sensor camera. I have never seen good AF response especially in low light situations. What's your point in using AF?

If you want it always sharp, just use a small sensor camera but use some extra light instead. That's how it works for EB work. You want it more cinematic? Forget AF...

That may sound strange, but focussing manually is THE benefit with the big sensor look. Now it's you who decides what's in focus and what's out. If you want the camera to decide, how can you be sure it will decide like you?

The adapters are designed especially to introduce aperture control with EF lenses first, with the extra benefit of IS and one-push AF functionality.

Peter Rush April 30th, 2013 07:55 AM

Hi Erik - no you're missing my point - I intend to use manual focus with this lens (The autofocus on the EA50 is actually not that bad) so my point was - using manual focus and constant f2.8 I might as well buy a cheaper adapter - I'm asking for opinions for alternatives to the metabones as it has functionality I don't require.

Erik Wittbusch April 30th, 2013 08:05 AM

Totally sorry,

must have sound as your ol'teacher...

Have a look here:

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/10/meta...-lens-adapter/

At the moment the metabones seems to be the only really tested adapter out there...

Chris Harding April 30th, 2013 06:30 PM

Hey Pete

I can tell you what NOT to buy and thats the FOTGA adapter .....I'm going middle of the road and getting a Novoflex from Germany whuch Justin has used and he says it "feels like the original part" ...they are not cheap (around $200) but still half the price of the Metabones which incidentally I don't think Steve has got working as yet despite the high price.

Getting the $20 - $30 ones is a hit and miss affair!

Chris

Peter Rush May 1st, 2013 01:24 AM

I looked at Novoflex Chris but they don't seem to accommodate EOS lenses to NEX - they seem only to adapt Canon FD mount - I'll email them though.

Pete

Chris Harding May 1st, 2013 02:04 AM

Hey Pete

Admittedly I never checked their Canon adapters as all my lenses are Nikon but I have an idea that Noa might have some advice here ..I think he uses a Kippon adapter ..he can advise for sure.

The biggest problem with the cheapies is that their specs are just way out..they either don't fit or they are sloppy and let in light (For $20 one might expect that anyway) My Fotga even with careful waterpapering refused to mate correctly with the EA-50 ..it went on but turned only a few millimeters and then stopped. The lens end did actually work but was awfully tight!! I was worried about damaging my Nikon lenses!!

With all the issues that Steve had with Metabones I personally wasn't going to throw away nearly $600 for something that never worked but I was prepared to sacrifice $15 plus postage on a cheapie so I only lost under $20. AFAIK Steve has yet to report any success with the Metabones adapter.

Chris

Peter Rush May 1st, 2013 04:16 AM

Has anyone tried this from Kipon?

Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: NEX Canon EOS Lens Aperture Control

Can't make out if it's suitable for EF or EFs lenses though

Chris Medico May 1st, 2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1793553)
Has anyone tried this from Kipon?

Sony Alpha NEX Cameras and E Mount Lenses: NEX Canon EOS Lens Aperture Control

Can't make out if it's suitable for EF or EFs lenses though

Those cause image artifacts such as severe vignetting. You are wasting your money.

Gabe Strong May 1st, 2013 09:18 AM

Peter,

Here's the issue. Do you want to be able to control the iris on the lenses? Do you want IS?
If yes, you need a smart adapter and you are not going to find one for $20-$50. I have the
Metabones and it works with most Canon mount lenses. Now there are two more smart
adapters out there that I am aware of, they are cheaper 'knock offs' of the Metabones.
But they still cost $280. I have the one from RJ camera for my 2nd camera and it also
works with most Canon mount lenses. Bottom line, if you don't want to spend a couple
hundred, you won't be getting a smart adapter.

Peter Rush May 1st, 2013 09:45 AM

Thanks Gabe - I've emailed RJCamera to check compatibility with the EA50 as it's not listed - If it's compatible I'll go with it :)

Gabe - in your experience does the Metabones speed booster really give you one more exposure stop?

Jerome Cloninger May 1st, 2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Strong (Post 1793583)
I have the one from RJ camera for my 2nd camera and it also
works with most Canon mount lenses.

So this one: Electronic Aperture EOS NEX adapter
works (aperture & IS) with most of your canon lenses and EA50? Not sure if EA50 is your 2nd camera...

Steven Digges May 1st, 2013 01:10 PM

Gentlemen,

Here is the latest update on my Metabones situation. Unfortunately for me the problem seems to be my EA50 camera body. I will be returning it to Sony for a factory repair as I have exhausted all other options.
Once Metabones got involved in my case they did it in a big way. They went over and above what I could have expected ANY company to do. I currently have two adapters here at my office. Both of them have the same intermittent problem with my EA50. Both of them also work perfectly with my lenses on a NEX VG20! My camera is also not functioning properly with a Sony LA-EA2 E-mount to Alpha mount lens adapter. That means my EA50 is not working well when the entire adapter and lens chain is 100% Sony. The same devices are working on the VG20.

The Metabones adapter is a finely machined piece of metal that mates perfectly with the EA50 lens mount. I would not even attempt to attach any adapter to my camera body that did not feel like a perfect fit. If you have Canon lenses I have to recommend the Metabones adapter. I have five Canon lenses it I am going to continue to work on things until they all function perfectly. Metabones has done everything they possibly can to assist me and in the end it turned out to be my camera. There are other EA50 users that are having great success with the Metabones adapter.

I would recommend the Metabones adapter for anyone trying to mate their Canon lenses to a EA50. My problems are not user error; I believe they are specifically related to my camera.

I cannot thank Metabones enough for all of the support they have provided me. Even after I began the process by complaining very loudly about them!

Steve