Generic picture profile anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 13th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Generic picture profile anyone?

Well so far I'm using PP3 for indoor (and then lifting saturation/contrast in post) and PP2 for outdoors but recently I've been switching between indoors and outdoors so much it's proving to easy to forget to change profile (adding in putting on and taking off a ND filter)

So has anyone a useful profile that will provide a good enough look for indoors AND outdoors? I would like to save time in post if possible as well :)

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Generic picture profile anyone?

Hi Pete

I still am also looking for one!! So far I'm using the same as you and in Sony Vegas I just lift Saturation in the colour corrector plugin to 1.5 outdoors and about 1.25 indoors and it works ...Surely one could configure a PP that just lifts saturation using the colour parameters to save in post ??? I have also found that my outdoor shots do seem a little over contrasty too ... Are you reducing contrast with outdoor shots or increasing it?? Maybe the answer is to set the camera up on a tripod and slowly record 30 secs at a time of the same scene changing colour parameters after each and then seeing how close one can get to perfection?? So far with tests I have found that greens tend to be a bit dull but haven't decided that is the only one needing a lift... What have you found it needs for both indoor and outdoor?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've no wedding for two weeks now Chris (then 3 on the trot!!!) so I'm going to dedicate some time to tweaking PP3 - yes the greens are dull and saturation is very flat but can easily boosted in Premiere Pro - PP2 is good for outdoors but to contrasty for indoors work - again i can correct in Premiere a little.

My main problem in the midst of all that's going on in a wedding is forgetting - that then becomes a workflow PITA!

Pete
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

For that very reason my cams are both on PP3 and stay there and then in post I push saturation either a little or a lot for indoor/outdoor shots as everything is on the same profile. I have a 2 week break too but my only real issue is overcontrasty outdoor shots so I will also have time to play with that!!

Let us know if you find anything exciting ... Are you shooting doc style or cinematic style ... to my eye the already contrasty PP3 outdoors with saturation boost looks quite film like but it doesn't match my other outdoor shots in deep shade

Chris
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I used JR45Cine2 on a wedding last Saturday and that one looked good to me. If you want I can show some before and after frames, in- and outdoor?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi.

Very welcome!

I also did some comparisons of the Sony PP3 and the JR45cine2.
I think that I will need something in between these two.
The PP3 looks good for me indoors but os also too much contrasty for most of my outdoor shots.

I am in India, doing some coporate filming without the EA50, as it is to new for this kind of job.
When I return in the mid if june, I plan to generate my own profile which should be more or less in the middle of the two above mentioned PP.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I used JR45Cine2 on a wedding last Saturday and that one looked good to me. If you want I can show some before and after frames, in- and outdoor?
Yes please Noa - I've 2 weeks before my next wedding and I'm hoping to get time to experiment!
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Could you post the settings Noa - or a link?
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I"ll try to see what I can do this evening or tomorrow, I'm swamped with work right now. Just to clarify, I"ll show some samples before and after color correction. Probably will be behind a private link with password as I do not have a approval from the couple.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ok, I slapped a few frames on the timeline with the JR45Cine2 profile with each time how it looks unedited and after colorcorrection, I just picked some quick frames and they are certainly not the best but that's all the time I can spend right now. Pls let me know what you think, I will send the link and password as pm to anyone that requested it here. Pls don't share this video any further.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Ok, I slapped a few frames on the timeline with the JR45Cine2 profile with each time how it looks unedited and after colorcorrection, I just picked some quick frames and they are certainly not the best but that's all the time I can spend right now. Pls let me know what you think, I will send the link and password as pm to anyone that requested it here. Pls don't share this video any further.
Can I have a link please? interested to see the differences.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I'm actually more interested to find a profile that I can use straight from the camera ..PP3 works great for me but I need post correction ...if I can avoid the saturation lift in post by including it in the profile that's one less job to do !!

I think Pete's end result is to able to have one profile that does an awesome job on both indoor and outdoor shoots and requires little or no post correction ...I guess that's a big ask???

Chris
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

As Noa, I have been happy with the JR4Cine2 both indoors and out. Depending on the light, little to no correction needed in post.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I'm actually more interested to find a profile that I can use straight from the camera ..
Same here, although that cine profile is fine as a base I need to color-correct in post to get the look I want, I am sure it should be possible to get that look in camera but that would require quite some time to test. I would like to have a look with enough latitude but with more pronounced and accurate color. This reminds me of my xh-a1, plenty of presets available to try but never really found any to my liking, there I also filmed flat and corrected in post to get the look I want. Nothing wrong with that but it would save time to get that in camera.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Here's some footage I did allready 8 years ago with my dvx100b with a factory standard scene file that would mimic a filmlook, this color was so great, if I could get that look back again in camera ...
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)