DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Dust inside stocklens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/517014-dust-inside-stocklens.html)

Noa Put June 6th, 2013 12:29 PM

Dust inside stocklens

1 Attachment(s)
wtf... when I was cleaning my lens (I have a wedding tomorrow) I held it under a desklight to see if all was clean and then I noticed 3 dustspecks inside the lens! I did shake with the lens which made 1 dustspot fall from the glass but there is still a clearly visible dustspot on the lens inside, anyone else noticed dust inside their stocklens?
From a quick test I did it doesn't seem to appear in the footage but this has got me worried, I can't send the lens in for repair because I"m in the middle of a busy wedding season, is it such a poor designed lens that there are gaps which allow dust infiltration?

Al Gardner June 6th, 2013 02:16 PM

Re: Dust inside stocklens

I've had it before. You will more then likely have to send the lens in to be dismantled and cleaned.

It never caused me a problem though. I used the lens for 6 months like that.

James Manford June 6th, 2013 04:42 PM

Noa

My standard SEL18200 lens that came with my VG20 has dust after a lot of use.

I was advised you should only be concerned with dust/dirt on the REAR lens element, not the front element.

And ALL ZOOM lenses are ALWAYS prone to dust. Absolutely nothing you can do about it ...

Servicing it will be a pure waste of money, it will accumulate dust within the same month if you use it regularly!

Craig Marshall June 7th, 2013 04:34 AM

Yes, cheap zooms like the SEL18-200 will ingest dust as they are designed to a price, not a specification. I shot TVCs for 10 years with $15K 15:1 Fujinon and Canon Broadcast ENG Servo Zooms in the Tropics and they never took in dust or water vapor because no element protrudes past the front of the lens. Dust specs on the front element will only show under certain iris settings and only if you shoot highly back-lit subjects. Keep the light source behind you and your shots will be OK

Jerome Cloninger June 7th, 2013 07:06 AM

That sucks! Don't film at a high fstop.

John Vincent June 7th, 2013 10:37 AM

Yeah, it is more a matter of quality then it being a zoom I think - I have 40 year FD zoom lens with less dust in them then that.

Also on a totally unrelated subject... this is my 1,000th post!

Peter Rush June 9th, 2013 08:21 AM

Did you get Sony Prime Support Noa? You should log the issue with them and get them to sort it after your season ends. Prime Support gives you 2 years cover.

James Manford June 9th, 2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Marshall (Post 1799029)
Yes, cheap zooms like the SEL18-200will ingest dust as they are designed to a price, not a specification. I shot TVCs for 10 years with $15K 15:1 Fujinon and Canon Broadcast ENG Servo Zooms in the Tropics and they never took in dust or water vapor because no element protrudes past the front of the lens. Dust specs on the front element will only show under certain iris settings and only if you shoot highly back-lit subjects. Keep the light source behind you and your shots will be OK

Wouldn't call it a cheap lens considering it costs well over £600 for the regular SEL18200 and the SELP18200 costs £1000 in the UK.

Excluding ebay used & grey import new prices ufcourse.

Noa Put June 9th, 2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Rush (Post 1799322)
Did you get Sony Prime Support Noa?

No, I have a 2 year standard warranty, I will send the camera in anyway at the end of the wedding season (around wintertime) since my menu button on the top of the camera doesn't work anymore so they can have a look at the lens as well. I checked the shots from the wedding last Friday and did"nt see any signs of spots so it doesn't seem to cause any harm, at least not like when there is dust on the sensor, that can become a issue very quickly.