Another wedding shot with the ea50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Another wedding shot with the ea50

I could put this in the wedding section but since about 90% of it was shot with the ea50 I figure it would be more interesting for new or existing ea50 owners to see how it performs at a wedding which we all know can be a very taxing for many camera's.

The only shots not from the ea50 are the ones on a steadicam (550d) and the shots taken inside and outside the church (sony cx730/sony xr520)

I"m not sure anymore but I used either pp3 or a flat JR45CINE2 preset.

The film starts off a bit dramatic with the music and the black and white but that's for a reason, it was raining heavily that morning and the bride only wished for one thing on her wedding day; no rain. When she is standing at the window looking out you can hear her say "what bad weather" in Dutch:) So I tried to emphasize that but after a while I change the mood to what the day actually became like, it eventually stopped raining and she got what she wished for. :)

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Another wedding shot with the ea50

Nice one as usual Noa

I guess you were not using the stock lens on the EA-50 there?? So far I still stick with PP3 but for indoors I push the colour level up +2 and outdoors up +4 and it needs little correction.

So it also rains there in Summer??? We are lucky we usually only get rain in Winter so from September onwards right thru to May you have almost a rain free wedding season!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It's actually a mixture of the stocklens (used in the morning at bride prep and when they first met and during the photoshoot) All the rest is mainly the 24 or 85mm. I also do a light correction on that flat preset, mainly on contrast and saturation but I like the wider DR I get with that.

About the rain, it has been raining A LOT the past months, the summer has had a very bad start, currently still only 17 degrees which is cold for the time of year and last night the rain was poring down. Belgium is a mixed bag when it comes to the weather, it's like a box of chocolates...:D
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Nice stuff Noa - can I ask why you use your cx730 in the church instead of the EA50? I've tried PP3 at a few weddings now but I find it's easy to blow out skin tones in direct sunlight for some reason. I'm now using no profile until I get time to experiment (after this wedding season)

Chris it rains here every summer!!! I shot a wedding last week at a country mansion where the wedding party insisted on going for a ride around the grounds on a miniature train - in the rain! It's tricky filming with one hand while holding a brolly in the other - I haven't looked at the footage yet but I think I've a few nice shots of the train going past with all the brollys up!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In church I use 2 or sometimes 3 handicams and I since I work alone I need camera's that are good in low light, that have a larger dof and that I somewhat can set and forget, those small Sony's perform exceptionally well under those circumstances, I can't see myself handling 2 to 3 large sensor camera's under those circumstances, not without the risk of having unusable footage. With these flat presets you indeed need to keep your exposure under control which is what I do manually for best results and which give me the most to work with in post. No preset also gives nice colorful results in full sunshine as I noticed some time ago so might use that one next time IF we have some nice weather again.
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm finding PP3 good for indoors but no preset better for outdoors - last weekend's wedding, between rain showers the sun was constantly in and out - better no profile or even PP2 which gives nice results outdoors.

In church I use my EA50 with Canon 24-105L and Metabones speedboster as my main cam and 2 Panny TM900 cams locked off (also a GoPro unless it's a really dark church)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle

As much as I"d like to have that metabones speedbooster I only plan to do one more investment this year and that will be a replacement of my canon 550d, it's too noisy, has too much moire and is too soft and I need a better performer for my steadicam. I would buy a 5dIII without hesistation but my bancaccount says no :) so I have to look for other much more budget friendly solutions.
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The speedbooster was expensive but after yet another dark ceremony (in a castle) I just couldn't bear to use to kit lens any more - although my couples are more than happy with the results i'm not! - way too grainy! As I already have some nice Canon lenses I took the plunge - the 24-105L operates at f2.8 throughout and I've started to use my 70-200 which (thanks to the speedbooster) gives me F1.9 - great for speeches in dull reception rooms :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)