DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   EA50 for stills (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/517690-ea50-stills.html)

Peter Rush July 10th, 2013 03:36 AM

EA50 for stills

I currently take my 5D to get a few snaps of the B&G for the DVD print and menu - In the quest to take less kit with me (solo shooter) I'm thinking of using the stills capability of the EA50 - I've had a play and it seems to yield good results - anything I should look out for?

Pete

Chris Harding July 10th, 2013 06:18 AM

Re: EA50 for stills

Hi Pete

I have two EA-50's but I still take my Nikon with me for cover stills... I prefer the end result I must admit. Obviously when doing dual shoots I'm laden down anyway with two Nikons on the shoulder harness and still shooting with the EA-50 on my shoulder.

There have been rare instances with Realty video shoots where I have forgotten to pack a still camera and the 50 has done the job fine for me but that's just a house shot for a DVD disk ..nothing more.

It's a hassle I know but I'd still have the 5D around for stills ..if you are just carrying one I think you can get a single shoulder harness too can't you ...My harness has adjustable stops either side the buckle at the end so the DSLR seems to sit pretty much in one place and doesn't bounce around. The only time I have a hassle is I cannot use the harness (even with one camera) with the stedicam vest on!

Hmmm maybe I need some sort of camera clip on the vest so it comes with me??

Technically the shots should be just as good but I find it hard to shoot stills with the cam on my shoulder..it just feels wrong and what happens it you need flash?? The EA-50 in fact CAN use a Sony TTL flash but it seems a waste to run around with a flash on your EA-50 all the time

Chris

Peter Rush July 10th, 2013 07:13 AM

I think a flash on the EA50 will confuse people even more chris - lots of people think it's a stills camera anyway "Hey buddy - take our picture"!!!!

Still I might try it next few weddings as I drag the 5D around most of the day for only a half dozen shots - Only for the DVD face print and Menu

Chris Harding July 10th, 2013 06:31 PM

Hi Pete

My packages have changed quite a lot thanks to Roger and others and most of my bookings now include photography. That was based on the fact that since I'm there at the photoshoot, why not do something productive?

I'm assuming here that like my video only packages, you are only doing stills for the DVD disk/cover and the menu which for me is normally 6 exposures and 3 poses so taking those on the EA-50 seems logical.

I fact with my old HMC82's I used to also do my cover stills while the camera was on the stedicam!! I would take the couple out and before we began the serious stuff I would do the still shots and they works great!

Chris

Peter Rush July 11th, 2013 02:19 AM

Hi Chris - yes I provide video only - I have a photography side to my business as well but that's mainly a sideline and I couldn't conceive of combining video and photography as some of you guys do. It takes all my concentration and stamina just doing the video as a solo shooter :/

Steven Digges July 11th, 2013 02:41 PM

Hey Peter,

I have only played around in still mode but have been very impressed with what I saw. You situation sounds like the perfect opportunity to utilize the benefits of a camera that actually has a good still mode. I would not be packing my SLRs in your scenario. You know what you need and it is not a lot. Go for it!

Remember, what is an EA50? It is everything a 5D owner wishes his camera was :) I know you have both, I just think that is funny.

Steve

Peter Rush July 12th, 2013 04:52 AM

Well said Steve - I'll try it out over the next few weddings and post my thoughts!

Dan Eskelson October 22nd, 2013 08:44 AM

I've also been impressed with the stills from my EA50. For slower shutter speeds, though, it would be nice to have a time delay or remote to insure the camera was steady. The remote supplied by Sony seems to operate video only.

Is there any way to operate the shutter with a delay or remote of some kind?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Steven Digges October 26th, 2013 03:56 PM

Dan,

I tried the remote too. I was surprised there are no still functions on it. You would think there would at least be a shutter release but there is not.

Steve

Bill Bruner October 26th, 2013 10:02 PM

This $39 Sony RMVD1 LANC control with photo shutter release should work.

Dan Eskelson October 27th, 2013 06:23 PM

Thanks Bill!

Just what I was looking for.

Dan