DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   OSX and the Content Browser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/517730-osx-content-browser.html)

Steve Bobilin July 12th, 2013 04:10 AM

OSX and the Content Browser

I don't know if anyone else is using a Mac with the EA 50, but I have not had much success with the content browser. Evidently the "Content Management Utility" never had a Mac version. Anyway, I've simply been saving and renaming the .MTS files directly from a card reader, opening in CS6 PP, and editing with no problems. (I use a free renaming app called NameChanger)
I've been carefully creating folders by date and renaming files such as 00003.MTS into something like 03BoyFallDown.MTS
No problems from beginning to end of project, but I kind of worry I'm missing out on the metadata or messing up the clips for future use by renaming them in this way.

Chris Harding July 12th, 2013 06:44 AM

Re: OSX and the Content Browser

Hi Steve

It's quite OK to copy the files directly to the hard drive via a card reader ..in fact you don't have to rename them at all unless you find it easier ... I'm using Sony Vegas which gives me nice thumbnails so I can easily fine a clip.

Now where things will fall to pieces is when you have a split file when you record more than around 15 mins or so (depending on mode) The camera will automatically create a new clip as soon as the first clip reaches 2GB so if you do a 20 min non stop record you will end up with two clips that follow on from each other ... Where the issue starts is not the video but the audio ...When AVCHD creates a new file it seems to lose around 12 frames of audio so you get a deadly silence when you butt up the two clips and play them. This only occurs if you copy the files to your drive. The Content Management Utility however uses the metadata to determine which clips need to be "combined" and does it for you seamlessly.

Obviously on a MAC you have a problem!! It might be a good idea if you are continuing on the route you are to see if it's practical to stop recording at a convenient point and then restarting again immediately if you think the sequence is going to go over 15 minutes or so. I do this at weddings and stop filming when there is a lull in the action and instantly restart again so I create a new clip that doesn't need to be joined to a previous one and therefore has no audio "gap"

Chris

Junior Pascual July 13th, 2013 02:04 AM

Hi Steve,

I'm confused as to your statement that Content Browser would not work with Mac. You then said that the Content Management Utility never had a Mac version; which is correct. Sony's Content Browser replaced Content Management Utility.

Content Browser, with Mac & Windows versions, is included with the EA50 camcorder along with serial numbers to register it with Sony. In fact, Content Browser is up to version 2.1. I've used it both on my Mac Pro and my Windows PC without any problems. You do need it to 'join' your video files if the recorded video event exceeds 2GB.

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions

Steve Bobilin July 13th, 2013 03:10 AM

Thanks Junior,

I was able to use the 2.1 content browser, I just found it cumbersome. I ended up with a folder full of files. .m2ts, .moff, .XML, and .log files for each clip. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

My clips have never been that long, but if they ever do I see the problem.
I guess my question has two parts:
1. Is there some disadvantage to editing and archiving by just using the .MTS files instead of using the content browser? Do you ever make use of the metadata such as GPS?
2. If I use the content browser properly, is each clip supposed to be all split up into four separate files (.m2ts, .moff, .XML, and .log), or recombined.

I've read through the prior postings about the content browser, which were helpful. I just wondered if everyone was regularly using the content browser as part of their workflow, or just to fix long clips.
Aloha

Chris Harding July 13th, 2013 03:34 AM

Hi Steve and Junior

The Content browser that comes with the camera does not join split clips for you ..To get the Content Utility, you need to download it. There is a detailed post right in this forum about it all and maybe the Utility does have a Mac version?? Read the post that was discussed here earlier in the year.

Steve ... there is no issues at all simply copying files from the stream folder on the card to your hard drive. I shoot stuff on a daily basis and have never had an issue. The only thing to be wary of is if a clip is a fraction under 2GB ..that would mean that the filming was too long for the clip and a second clip was created by the camera firmware during the shoot.

My Utility is on my desktop but I haven't used it for ages as I haven't had any long sequences. I'm doing a Greek wedding in 2 weeks and as I'm unfamiliar with the order of service at these I'll probably end up with some clips that are split. In those cases, I'll use the Utility but for all others I just copy the stream folder contents to my drive and edit from there.

Chris

Junior Pascual July 13th, 2013 12:22 PM

Steve:

To answer your questions:
1. There is no disadvantage to editing/archiving the .mts files directly. I personally don't need/use the metadata.
2. Using the Content Browser, I only retain the .m2ts files because that is all I need to edit; I do most of my edits with Sony Vegas (Windows only). Occasionally, I'll use FCP X or Premiere Pro on the Mac platform.

Chris:

There is no Mac version of Content Management Utility (CMU). Content Browser (version 2.1), with Mac & Windows versions replaced CMU.

Here's the link to Content Browser: Sony Creative Software - Download:

Aloha,
Jr. Pascual
49 Productions

Ron Evans July 13th, 2013 05:23 PM

Yes the Content Browser ( Ver 2.1 ) was clearly intended to replace other Sony browsers but unfortunately does not work as well. I have written several times to Sony with no replies so far. I have the original consumer MBS, PlayMemories new replacement for MBS, Content Management Utility came with my NX5U, Content Browser ( Ver 2.1 ) and the XDCam Browser. Content Browser looks and works much like the XDCam Browser which identifies EX3 clips and in Edius can then be brought into the bin as a single joined clip. The Content Browser ver 2.1 will not do this or join the FAT32 files as long clips together on transfer to the PC. Both consumer products and the content management utility will show true clips ( between start and stops of camera) and transfer as a single joined file to the PC. At the moment I do not think Content Browser Ver2.1 is much use compared to the others.

Ron Evans

Junior Pascual July 14th, 2013 10:10 PM

Chris & Ron:

The Mac version of Content Browser 2.1 DOES join clips that have been split due to the file size limitation of FAT 32. It is a 2-step process:
1. After highlighting a clip by clicking on it, go to File -> Export -> NXCAM to folder. Select or create a folder. After exporting your clip(s) to this folder, Content Browser is again used to search for and highlight the first clip.

2. Go to File -> Export -> Component Files (.m2ts) OR -> AVCHD format (avchd). You will be given the option to select or create a destination folder. It is after this process that you will find the files joined.

The process is pretty much the same under Windows.

Note: On the Mac platform, when you open the video file folder (PRIVATE > AVCHD > BDMV > STREAM), the avchd file appears as one file, already joined (if there was more than one file due to fat 32 file size limitation) and playable under Quicktime. FCP X also recognizes it as one file and can be imported into FCP X as such. Under Windows, each .mts file is shown.

Ron:

What is the consumer MBS? I only remember the consumer PMB ( Picture Motion Browser) which is now Play Memories Home.

Aloha,

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions

Chris Harding July 15th, 2013 02:59 AM

Thanks for the info Junior

I'm only on a PC but the Utility here also does the same and finds split files and joins them up for you automatically ... If you did a 1 hour shoot all in one that resulted in 5 split files of 12 minutes, the Windows Utility just shows one 60 minute file and it's in MT2S format not MTS any more. It seldom happens to me but it's useful if it does and the split is in a critical spot.

The extra info is much appreciated

Chris

Ron Evans July 15th, 2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junior Pascual (Post 1804694)
What is the consumer MBS? I only remember the consumer PMB ( Picture Motion Browser) which is now Play Memories Home.

Aloha,

Jr. Pascual
49 Productions

Yes PMB my typing problem !!! Will see if the process you use on the Mac for Content Browser also works on the PC but when I tried it didn't join files as I was expecting just 1 export not 2. Will try again and report back.
Ron

Ron Evans July 15th, 2013 09:25 AM

I have updated my Content Browser from 2.0 to 2.1 thinking that may make a difference. It doesn't. The process you describe does work but still first transfers all the files, not joined to the PC. It then will not allow me to create a linked file in the same directory so I have ended up with 2 directories and twice the memory use as the other transfer software. I can of course go back and delete the initial folder with the individual FAT32 files. Seems like a lot of work compared to the consumer versions or the Content management Utility which transfer and join files in one process. Still haven't heard from Sony though. At least for Mac users they do now have Sony software to use. I will stay with the Content management Utility though.

Ron Evans

Chris Harding July 15th, 2013 06:40 PM

Hi Ron

My Windows Browser doesn't work either. It does what the name says and browses only. The Content Utility does all the joining and very nicely too!!

Chris

Ron Evans July 15th, 2013 09:11 PM

Well I did get it to work as Junior Pascual says but it did require two steps as he described. First transfer the files and then regenerate a joined file in a different directory. A lot of work compared to the other approaches.

Ron

Junior Pascual July 16th, 2013 12:11 PM

Hi Ron,

I agree with you. The current Content Browser is a LOT of work to join files! But for those on the Mac platform it's the only app available from Sony with the ability to do this. It's the 'Nature of the Beast', so to speak. I have yet to find a simple utility to join video files on the Mac.

Edit: I think that there is a Mac version of the consumer PlayMemories Home.

In my own workflow on Windows (where I do most of my work with Vegas Pro) I usually avoid using CB (Content Browser) & CMU (Content Management Utility). I use the consumer PMB (Picture Motion Browser) to join my video files. It simply works. I didn't even upgrade to PlayMemories Home; I don't need the 'cloud' component yet.

Steve:

Since you're on Oahu, PM me, if you want, and we can get together to go over your workflow on getting your video files to your Mac.

Aloha,
Jr. Pascual
49 Productions

Steve Bobilin July 19th, 2013 03:20 PM

From Ken Stone FCP site:
"For those working with AVCHD camcorders producing MTS files, you can either import these files individually to ClipWrap or bring in the BDMV folder in its entirety. Because many of these AVCHD camcorders have recording file size limits, the camcorders will create multiple files to work around this limitation. These files then need to be rejoined during a rewrap or transcode so that playback is free from any glitches. Since AVCHD camcorders number their files sequentially, ClipWrap will parse the metadata from the camera to determine clip spanning and join them as one. "
ClipWrap
Maybe I should get Clipwrap just to see.
Junior: Did you get my email? Wasn't sure if the dvinfo link sent it or not.