NEX-EA50H Firmware Upgrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old July 17th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
New Boot

NEX-EA50H Firmware Upgrade

Sony is offering a firmware upgrade for NXCAM Camcorder "NEX-EA50H". The applicable products are with the firmware version "Ver.1.00".

Additional NEX-EA50H features*

1. Added DV format file recording.*1 *2
2. Two REC buttons enables to control memory card and the optional HXR-FMU128 in a different trigger.
*1 Class 6 or higher SD card is recommended when using SD memory card for DV format recording.
*2 The bundled software "Content Browser" needs to be updated to version 2.00 or later to handle DV files recorded by the
NEX-EA50H

Link: Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD
Mladen Palic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: NEX-EA50H Firmware Upgrade

Hey Guys,

I went to the Sony site and checked this out. Nothing groundbreaking but I would like to try it. The only problem is model number confirmation? The upgrade is for the EA50H. The ID plate on my camera says EA50U. Technically it is a EA50UH. The "H" is the last designation on several models. Is this update for all EA50s with an "H" or for the true EA50H only? I searched the Sony site and other places. The last thing I want to do is download firmware that is not for my camera. Does anyone have a confirmation on this? Somewhere I once saw a list of all the model numbers and the differences (mostly geographic) but I can't find it now.

Steve
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Here is the model number info I was looking for:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...0ek-ea50k.html

Steve
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Wow, that's what we just needed, dv recording that we would like to avoid and some added functionality for the overpriced fmu128 that almost no-one uses with this camera. Good thing it's not for my region.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Trustee

I was just going to say ... what a useless upgrade that is for me.

How about Sony actually listen to feedback, rather than throwing out useless upgrades.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There might be coming similar firmware upgrade for other regions but you can see Sony realy tries to push sales on the fmu128 unit. But for a price of 860 euro (1130 dollar) in my country I doubt they will ever see me buying it.
Old July 17th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Trustee

I went through the information carefully. There is no mention of any other change besides those two features. Sometimes firmware upgrades mention things like "various other improvements or fixes" but not this one.

I"m not sure it is for US models. If you stick to the exact letters it is only for:

EA50H -- Asia / Pacific region, incl. mic. & 18-200mm powered / servo zoom lens

But it is strange that the download page lists only the address of Sony's two US service centers. And it is on Sony's US site. What do you think?

Steve
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Trustee

I ran the update. I wanted the latest firmware to wipe out a couple of bugs I think my camera had. Sometimes my menu options would flash erratically. It only happened a couple of times so I will have to wait and see. I wish they would have done a whole lot more with this update!

Steve
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You are a very brave man :) I can only hope Sony will do some useful firmware upgrade soon.
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #10
New Boot

I installed the upgrade to EA50EH and everything works .. for now

I hope they fix some minor bugs, but it remains to be seen. The biggest problem for me is that the sound in noisy situations going into the red.
Mladen Palic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Mladen

Are you sure your mic level sensitivity is set up correctly? Even at really loud wedding receptions I never have that problem. You can set mic level in the menu and also adjust it 3db at a time ...If the input level is set higher than the mic output then yes you will be able to overload the pre-amp quite easily. eg: if your mic or audio source has a sensitivity of say -38db and you set the level at -50db then you are simply making the input too sensitive for the audio source and the auto level control is maxing out!

Are you talking about the on-camera mic that comes with the camera or another mic or audio source?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #12
New Boot

I tried with the internal stereo microphone and with external ECM-XM1. Due to frequent changes in the sound level during recording, I'm recording with auto settings. The menu can only adjust the sensitivity of the internal microphone: high and normal (default is normal)
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Inner Circle

OK, on the Audio Set Menu skip the internal settings and go to the XLR Set option and then go to Input 1 trim (if your mic is plugged into Channel 2 you obviously go to Input 2 trim) ...there you will see that the XLR mic is defaulted to 0db and you can set it either up or down to increase or decrease the input sensitivity. I never ever use the internal mic only the XLR mic and mine to set to +3db and it works a treat with nice audio at all levels. As a hint the default of 0db is for a mic with a -48db sensitivity. Keep the channels as "separate" so you can adjust either and also set clipping to default also which is "off" all that does is give the signal a "haircut" and you lose quality from losing the peaks. Just also make sure that none of the switches are set to INT ...Just set input 1 to channel 1 and input 2 to channel 2 ...if you are just using the ext mic it means you will only get one channel recorded but you can switch that to both channels or combine them in your NLE very easily.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #14
New Boot

Thanks Chris for advice
I used the internal microphone because the stereo and catch a wider area (not directed as ECM-XM1)
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Trustee

Chris,

I have to disagree with your recommendation for his audio set up. You know me, I mean that politely. Why would you not record anything to channel two?

I always try to avoid auto gain control in any situation. But of course clipping digital audio over zero is disastrous and cannot happen. So in live event coverage with lots of variable audio levels I set it up this way.

Channel 1, internal mic, set on auto. That is your insurance track. With AGC it is not going to clip.
Channel 2, shotgun mic, set on manual, constantly monitored and adjusted.

Both mics have completely different characteristics. When you go to post you will always have the internal mic as your safety in case you clipped the shotgun a little bit. Plus you can listen to them both and you may find you prefer one over the other. You can pick one and place it on both channels or you can mix the two tracks depending on the situation and what you recorded.

Also, he said he is clipping. I would not recommend a plus 3db boost in that situation. He must be in some very loud environment; I would take it -3 or possibly more.

There is also no substitute for good headphones, the ear buds that come with an I-pod don’t count :)

The status check button will bring up a calibrated VU meter. You can check that to get an idea of where the little cheesy bars in the viewfinder are hitting in terms of db. Basically, in the viewfinder VU half way across is -20db.

Steve

Mladin & Chris, we are so for off topic we should move this if we are going to continue the discussion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)