picture profiles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

picture profiles

hey,

so i've seen some things regarding this cam's picture profiles, such as converting FS100 picture profiles to being usable on the EA50, and there is a lot of customizability.
what i'm curious to know, is there a profile that would have a use most resembling the Canon Technicolor Picture Profile? it was meant to preserve the dynamic range as much as possible so that, even though the image is highly compressed, it would give you a slightly better chance at color grading. makes a rather flat image.
does anyone on this forum use a picture profile on this camera for that purpose? and if so may i ask your settings?
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: picture profiles

Try ab_range2 (New FS100 Scene Files from AbelCine | CineTechnica) and use Color Level -4 instead of Color Level -7
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: picture profiles

Hi,

I wouldn't do the AB_Range2 Profile on the EA50.

After colour correction with at least s-curve to get normal contrast and
colour you'll end up with a lot of banding.

I worked the last weeks with the AB_NORM2 with adjusted knee and black level.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...cumentary.html

You have to adjust al least the black level according to your contrast of the scene
your filming. To do so you have to check that whites do not clip but blacks touch
the zero IRE with the histogram on the EA50. It's not scientific but you need this,
so that you don't loose some range of the 8bit already.

Very nice is also the JR45_CINE2", but I like the colours, specially the skin tones
of the NORM2 profile so much more.

Another nice profile is Frank Glencairns g-log ultimate:

G-Log Ultimate 1.0 Picture Profile for the Sony FS100 | Frank Glencairn

But all these profiles are generated fpr the FS100, which has a much better sensor, so that you'll
have to adjust th eprofiles like this:

Porting Abel cine profiles from the Sony fs100 to the Sony nex-ea50 | Sony nex ea50 user blog

Again: You have to be aware, that you only have an 8bit codec. If you do some strong grading, the
material will give banding and other bad stuff like broken colours, noise and so on.
To avoid this, don't try to get more dynamic range in your codec as needed! This is really important.

The EA50 is not a RAW camera, it has only 8bit AVCHD which is the biggest shortcoming.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)