Sony NEX-EA50 "2nd Edition" is just firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 10th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NEX-EA50 "2nd Edition" is just firmware

i was looking and apparently this promo vid was updated, guess now its being called "2nd Edition" but its just the firmware update for Asia that everyone already knows about. speaking of which has anyone in the states tried updating the camera with the new firmware update? we're you able to get the new features? it didn't suddenly make all your menus Japanese did it? lol
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony NEX-EA50 "2nd Edition" is just firmware

it says published August 10th, i must have found it JUST as the re-posted it.
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Major Player

When I look at the video on YouTube, it says "Published April 15th, 2013".

Wonder why they felt they bothered to remake the video to add the "2nd Edition" badge? The firmware update was so insignificant it hardly warrants a second edition moniker... Even the film is lame, the only thing they've changed from earlier promo videos is to add the 2nd Ed badge ;)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Second Edition??? That is ridiculous. And why do they flash a picture of the FS100 and FS700 in the beginning of the video? Maybe they got the update too? It doesn't make sense. The video is about the EA50.

I did the update. I am not sure it is not buggy. The next day I lost time code in my viewfinder. I had to use the reset button to get it back. So far, it is back but I have not put a lot of hours on it since then.

On one hand I am glad to have DV. I will have occasional times when it can be used. Be aware that it is not as simple as selecting a format in the menu. They call it DV Mode because it reboots the camera to shoot DV and change a few other things.

The other "feature" the update provides is just another way to make you want the propitiatory $600.00 FMU. Unless you have an FMU there is no benefit for you.

My camera is going back to Sony this week for repairs. I was shocked to read my warranty card and find out this camera is only good for 90 days on repair labor. One year on parts. Ninety days on labor, are you kidding me! I have dealt with Sony services repair many times over the years and almost never with a good result. We will see what happens this time. On some items they have an outrageous flat rate labor charge. I will let you guys know if they come back to me asking for hundreds of dollars.

Steve
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Steven,

I know what you mean about service and repair been there done that before also. As I have an EA50 I would be very interested as to what the repairs that you are getting done? Has something failed or broken on your cam?

Cheers

Michael
Michael Hourigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Trustee

My camera does not work well with the Matabones lens adapter. And it does not work with Sony’s own La-E2 Alpha to E-mount adapter even with Sony lenses. That adapter works on shore power but not battery power. It is definitely something in the camera and not the adapters. That is why I jumped on the new firmware as soon as I could. But it did not fix things.

I must say again, Metabones ended up working with me to great lengths to prove it is my camera. Many NEX camera users have great success with Metabones adapters, including EA50 owners. Sony is even offering a free Metabones adapter rebate with the purchase of a FS100 or FS700 in the UK.

I have a lot of money invested in Canon “L” series lenses. It is very important to me to get them working. It will be interesting to see what Sony says and how much labor they charge me, for a camera I bought just last January. Don’t get me wrong. I like the camera. I know there are guys here considering it. Here you get to hear the good, bad, and ugly. I also don’t want to badmouth Sony service yet. But I do have a long, unpleasant history with them. I will send it in and see what happens. If you guys want to hear about it I will start a new thread after I go through the process again.

Steve
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Sony is even offering a free Metabones adapter rebate with the purchase of a FS100 or FS700 in the UK.
You mean the US, right? Have only seen this deal in the US, so far. But would be great if it has reached the old world as well...

Sorry to hear about your camera. I've debated (with myself) whether to buy my next and upcoming lenses in NEX or Canon mounts. + for Canon: not limited to Sony cameras if/when I upgrade. - for Canon: Cost of adapter, all these stories about metabones adapters failing...
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
My camera does not work well with the Matabones lens adapter. And it does not work with Sony’s own La-E2 Alpha to E-mount adapter even with Sony lenses. That adapter works on shore power but not battery power. It is definitely something in the camera and not the adapters. That is why I jumped on the new firmware as soon as I could. But it did not fix things.

I must say again, Metabones ended up working with me to great lengths to prove it is my camera. Many NEX camera users have great success with Metabones adapters, including EA50 owners. Sony is even offering a free Metabones adapter rebate with the purchase of a FS100 or FS700 in the UK.

Steve
Keep at it Steve - I have the Metabones Speedbooster and now my Canon 24-105 and 70-200mm lenses are used successfully at every wedding!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Dmitri,

I Googled it and it came up with a page for the United Kingdom offer. It is there.

Don't hesitate to go Metabones and Canon. Lens interchangeability is one of the big reasons why I picked the EA50. It has been a major hassle for me but it turns out the bug is in the camera. At the prosumer camcorder level, I have always preferred Canon. I like my EA50, I hope this gets resolved without too much more hassle.

Thanks Peter.

Steve
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Major Player

How do you know the fault is in the camera and not the adapter? My Metabones
adapter worked fine for several months and then suddenly lost contact with several
lenses that it previously worked fine with. I got a 2nd Metabones and it did exactly
the same thing...on all my cameras (FS700, FS100 and VG20). Meanwhile
the lenses in question function perfectly on a Canon DSLR. And to top things off,
all my cameras function perfectly with a Sony adapter and Alpha lenses. Despite
sending the Metabones back for two firmware updates this behavior has persisted.
In light of this evidence I am forced to conclude that (in my case anyways) the fault is
with the adapters.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Trustee

We tested my camera with two Metabones adapters, neither one worked. We tested those two adapters on a VG20 at the same time and they worked fine. Then we tested my camera with the Sony LA-E2 adapter and Sony lenses and it does not work.

The Sony adapter works on AC power but not battery power. Electronic adapters require an increased draw on power. The camera is supposed to be able to provide that on AC or battery power. Since mine does not, that alone indicates there is a problem with my camera. I spoke with Sony technicians and they agreed it needs a repair. I am hoping when the power issue is resolved and the Sony adapter works it will fix the Metabones issue too. When I ship my camera out this week I am going to send it in with the the Metabones adapter. I don't know if they will touch it or not being third party but all I can do is try.

Sony believes in Metabones enough to partner with them on a rebate program. That says something.

The bottom line is my camera does not work with Sony products that are made for it.

Steve

I apologize for this thread being hijacked by my camera problem.
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

it's cause of all this that I'm thinking of going with the Nikon to NEX speed booster instead, cause no electronic contacts. that or just get native NEX lenses.

I'm very sorry you all are having troubles :-(
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)