Lens Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Trustee

Lens Question

I am about to be a new owner of r NEX-EA50 and id like some info on lenses. Id like to get lenses with servo capabilitys but what lenses are out there for the EA-50?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Lens Question

i think just the one that comes with it, and then Sony also makes a 16-50mm, but thats its
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Trustee

oh ok hopefully more on the way.
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yea, they haven't made any announcements about new ones that I've heard of. they may have more coming, but we never can tell
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, the kit lens is pretty decent, but far too slow for me. Wish it had been 2.8-4.5 or something at least. Or even f4 all the way.
But once you have a fast power zoom you're in the $10.000 range all of a sudden... Seems to be a real gap. Who ever could make a pretty good and fast servo lens in the $3000-4000 range would sell like crazy.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Trustee

ok I got mine today I am new to the DSLR world its been a long time since I did stills. From what I see out of the box is the low light is awe full. I have to go to 18 db to get enough light it a very well lite room. Am I doing something wrong? Are the other zoom lenses (not servo) that are faster?
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes the kit lens is not really fast enough for most indoor shooting and has been discussed a lot in this forum - I find it however no worse than the lens on my old Z1 - which was a costlier camera. The kit lens works for me outdoors but for indoors I use a metabones adapter and my Canon lenses (24-105mm for most stuff) the Metabones speedbooster lets you use all your Canon glass and gives you an extra stop of light as well - it is pricey though.

Sigma do a 19mm and 30mm f2.8 NEX lens and sony do a 50mm f1.8 but for me the metabones has been a godsend for dark ceremonies and receptions.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the input I am getting close to figuring this out. I hope NAB will bring us some new glass.
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Will this get me another stop?
Sony NEX System : ALPA Lens to Sony NEX Speed Booster
can I use this with the stock lens? and keep servo?
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
ok I got mine today I am new to the DSLR world its been a long time since I did stills. From what I see out of the box is the low light is awe full. I have to go to 18 db to get enough light it a very well lite room. Am I doing something wrong? Are the other zoom lenses (not servo) that are faster?

hi randy.
the lens it comes with is slow so thats why. actually, i recommend not using it to be honest. i know its like one of the big selling points of the nex-ea50, but instead i would recommend get either a regular zoom like a 17-55mm APS-C lens, or a prime like a 50mm f/1.4 and use the digital zoom. because the zoom it comes is crap for light. almost ANY lens will give you more light :-(
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
You can use a speedbooster for example with some 24-70/2,8 lens from Nikon, Canon, Sigma and the likes.
It will give you 3/4 of a stop more light and 0,72x focal lenght reduction but also boosts the optical shortcomings of your lens.

A 24-70/2,7 will behave like a 17-50/2,0.

It would be much cheaper to get a 17-50/2,8 (from Tamron for example) with Nikon mount and get a Nikon G lens adapter instead. This will cost you 1/2 and you'll lose 1 stop...
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Interesting BUT has anyone actually bought/tried the Nikon-NEX Focal Reducer/Speed Booster ... does it really work??

I know James was hankering after one and I think he got one of the Chinese ones but I don't remember any comments after that. Sure they are cheap for around $150 BUT it's still a lot of money if the adapter sits on the shelf cos it's unusable!! James's woes are in this post : http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...l-reducer.html

Anyone actually got a Nikon G/DX to NEX from China/HongKong that they use and can say "these are awesome" I haven't heard anyone on the forum raving about them as yet which is worrying ??? Steven Digges had a Metabones unit too and had mega-hassles with it ..Did that eventually rectify itself Steve???

Comments from anyone that has used them and likes them? The appeal of being able to go 0.72X wider and getting a full stop extra is huge but do they work in the real world??

Chris

Last edited by Chris Harding; August 19th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
no that wouldn't work, cause in order for a speed booster to work, the lens would need to be intended for full frame. as this lens was made for sensors that have been made smaller than full frame, you couldn't use it on that lens. plus it seems this adapter doesn't have the correct mount on the lens end. this was made to put full frame Sony lenses on cropped frame Sony cameras. this lens doesn't meet that criteria.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I will go another route for myself.

I'm using the Canon 17-55/2,8 with IS on Metabones adapter.
Works great. But the Canon lens is only borrowed.

I will wait for the new Sigma 24-70/2,0 in Nikon mount and
boost it further with a speedbooster.
Then, I'll have something like a 17-50/1,4 which makes fast
primes almost needless in terms of lowlight capabilities.
The set will be around 1500$ or more and we still have to wait
at least 1 year...
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Trustee

ok ive been doing a little research (just enough to be dangerous:)) What about using a Sony prime lens (50 mm) with digital zoom? according to some websites that will make a 50 mm and 50-100 with a fixed aperature of 2.8. Downsides? Also how do yo use the digital zoom?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)