DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   EA50 repaired / Metabones works great (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/518769-ea50-repaired-metabones-works-great.html)

Steven Digges September 6th, 2013 01:20 PM

EA50 repaired / Metabones works great

Good news guys. My NEX EA50 is repaired and I can finally use my arsenal of Canon “L” series lenses thanks to Metabones. In fact, I owe it to Metabones for proving to me my camera was defective and not their adapter. I wrongfully blamed them. This is important to anyone having difficulty with a Metabones adapter.

Everything on my EA50 seemed to work just fine. That is until we put a Sony LA-EA2 adapter and a Sony Alpha mount lens on it. When the adapter and lens was all Sony there was still a problem. The Sony adapter would not function properly when the camera was on battery power but worked on AC power indicating something was wrong with the camera.

I got the camera back from Sony service yesterday and sure enough they repaired the power module in the camera. And now, all of my Canon lenses fire up just as they should with the Metabones Mark II Canon to Sony E-mount adapter.

So, I owe Metabones an apology for initially making a negative post on this board about their product. When they did get involved in my case they did it in a big way with lots of help until we were sure the problem was in the camera. For that I am grateful.

The EA50 comes with a 90 day warranty on labor and one year on parts. I bought the camera last January. Sony repaired it free of charge.

These are the Canon lenses working with my Metabones and they are all pre 2006 so not all functions are the same as with newer lenses:

16-35MM F2.8L USM
24-70MM F2.8L USM
70-200MM F2.8L IS USM
35-350MM 3.5-5.6L USM
Canon Extender 2X II

Tip: My older lenses mount best if I make sure the AF switch on the lens and the camera is off before attaching the lens and adapter to the camera.

Thank you Metabones.

Steve

Chris Harding September 6th, 2013 08:07 PM

Re: EA50 repaired / Metabones works great

Hi Steve

Bet that is a huge relief? It's also nice to know that the adapter does in fact work well on the EA-50. Of course that's the Metabones that fits and works well not the cheaper Chinese one that James bought that wouldn't even fit his camera!

Nice to see that you are back working and happy too!

Chris

Joel Corral September 7th, 2013 09:56 AM

Steven because of your negative post I thought twice purchasing the meta bones... now I have to rethink.
I wonder if this is defect on all ea50s or if your camera was just defective.

JC

Steven Digges September 7th, 2013 11:24 AM

Hey Joe,

It is not all EA50s. A lot of other people have reported success using the Metabones with EA50. In my old post my big complaint in the beginning was that I did not get a response from them after weeks of trying. The guy thay helped me said that is fixed now and they have more customer service people. I also noticed B&H Photo carries their products now. It did not when I bought mine.

Look at my list of lenses. They are Canons expensive glass. All of them are F2.8 zooms except one. They are the reason I picked the EA50. I talked to a guy on this site that was using the Metabones successfully with his Canon lenses so I went for it. With all of that money invested in good glass already it was a no brainier to pick the EA50. It turned into a hassle for me, but who knew it was in the camera? And it ended up being Metabones that helped me diagnose the problem.

I would have to tell anyone with existing Canon lenses to go for either one of the Metabones adapters. Look what I can do now compared to the kit lens!

Steve

Steven Digges September 7th, 2013 11:30 AM

Thanks Chris. I am relieved. Yes, there is nothing "cheap" about the Metabones quality. It is finely machined.

Steve

Jon R. Hand September 7th, 2013 12:48 PM

Glad it all worked out for you. I LOVE my Metabones. Worth every penny! My standard now, Metabones with Canon 24-105 (on lens stabilizer works, and is incredible).

Steve Bobilin September 7th, 2013 04:47 PM

Could you post the model number of the Metabones adapter? And do you know exactly what Sony repaired? Did Sony tell you if the Sony alpha adapter caused the problem, or what? I'm glad it worked out for you!

Gabe Strong September 11th, 2013 10:25 PM

I hate to be a wet blanket. But, I am telling you there is something strange going on with some of
theses Metabones adapters. I've had two of them both give me the exact same behavior.
They suddenly, randomly, totally quit working with lenses they previously worked fine with.

I've sent them back to the factory twice for firmware updates. The firmware updates have done
no good....lenses that used to work fine have totally lost communication
with the adapter. Meanwhile the same lenses work fine on a Cannon DSLR. And further, my FS700,
FS100, and VG20, all exhibit the same behavior with both Metabones adapters. And yet all three
work fine with my Sony Alpha to Emount adapter. It is extremely frustrating.

Steven Digges September 12th, 2013 09:53 AM

Steve B, My Metabones is the Mark II Sony E-mount to Canon EF.

The Sony paperwork just says "repaired power issue". I know there were parts involved because they were back ordered for a few days.

Gabe, I'm sorry your have trouble. Sony believes in these things enough that they are offering a free rebate for one with the purchase of a FS700.

Steve

Gabe Strong September 12th, 2013 06:26 PM

I know all about the free metabones promotion
which is why I am letting people know about this
issue. With more of these adapters out there
it may be helpful for others to be on the lookout
for these symptoms.

First there will be random times when you will lose
control of the iris. Eventually you will lose all control
and it will display F--
You will no longer be able to see the adapter firmware. Also
the camera will freeze up and the screen will show the start up
'Sony' and it will stay there even if you turn the camera off...you
will have to detach the battery. I've had two seperate adapters
do this....one worked for about 6 months, the other about 2.