DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   weird electrical issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/518794-weird-electrical-issues.html)

Noa Put September 9th, 2013 12:29 AM

weird electrical issues

Is there anyone else with a nex-ea50 that is experiencing weird electrical behavior with his camera? In my case the dial on top of the camera that controls scrolling through the menu doesn't work anymore, scrolling to the right has changed to confirming instead of moving to the right.

I recently got contacted by someone who can't keep the shutterspeed to manual, when he pressed the button on the side he can toggle between auto and manual but when he switches to manual the camera goes back into automode after a few seconds.

Anyone else with problems?

Chris Harding September 9th, 2013 01:42 AM

Re: weird electrical issues

Hey Noa

To be honest I don't use the top set at all but I have had no issues with either camera. I might be wrong but it might have been Steven Digges that had an issue with the top menu or was that you.

I'm wondering in the board/console on the top might have a factory fault as mine is untouched virtually so any possible sticking of buttons on the keypad membrane would not have occurred. I have a feeling you might have a keypad membrane issue on the pad under the handle ...if a button sticks there it will confuse the electronics and the pads do appear to be the membrane type too ...I used to have them with weighing equipment and they would often cause havoc!!

Chris

Steven Digges September 9th, 2013 11:22 PM

I use all buttons and controls. The problem I had was the time code quit working in the LCD viewfinder, it was recorded, the day after I upgraded to V2, the new firmware. The reset button fixed it. Remember when you push the reset button you loose all of your personal settings. A long time ago I had the menu do a couple of weird flashes, has not happened again.

Steve

David Wibowo September 10th, 2013 04:33 AM

Hi Noa,

Thanks for the info to get me to be able to post at last! Been 6 weeks since registering and only now I can post here.

I am the other videographer that Noa said having problem with the shutter speed button. I just bought this camera about 3-4 weeks ago and since used it on about 12 shoots, after the 2nd or 3rd (1st shoot didnt do any shutter speed changes) shoot I found that instead of able to change shutter when pressing the button in manual mode in goes into A mode.... I tried very slowly pushing, quick push, gentle push, get other cam operators to push, etc. and same result. The only way I seem to be able to change the shutter is to turn it off then on again, which in the first 5-10 seconds or so I can change shutter manually. However, that isnt a good way if ur recording live events!

I've talked to Sony and will have to bring it in one day, but I'm on a shoot almost everyday for a few weeks.

Steven Digges September 10th, 2013 09:23 PM

David,

Forgive me for checking the basics but please confirm this.

When in Manual mode if you push the shutter button you should see a white box around shutter speed

At that time you are able to set the speed using the menu wheel

After setting the speed you MUST push the wheel in to "execute the change", do not push the shutter button again

If you do not push the wheel in to "execute & confirm" and you push the shutter button instead, it will go into "auto".

So..are you pushing the menu wheel in to execute or are you pushing the shutter button again causing it to go into auto?

Steve

Marlon Martins September 11th, 2013 06:37 AM

hey, i can't change manually my shutter either.

only works when using manual lenses (no electric contact)

"When in Manual mode if you push the shutter button you should see a white box around shutter speed"

NOPE. this doesn't happen. it change from just the "60" for example, to auto (A with arrow and the shutter value)

all my buttons/controls works fine. but i almost never change shutter speed, so i didn't bother...

David Wibowo September 11th, 2013 07:10 AM

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the clearing it out. i too thought I was doing something wrong, but I did a comparison with a different ea50. So, I'm doing exactly the same thing, except mine jumps into auto mode, no white box for my camera.......except the first 5second of turning it on when it work as it should.

But, it has been in use almost everyday, i'll bring it in as soon there is a day free then report what they find if any, or if I just need a firmware upgrade....havent check what version I have.

David Wibowo September 11th, 2013 07:11 AM

In the mean time I'm using NDs, flashlight, etc to trick my camera into certain shutter speeds then locking it there.....but hardly effective for live event or weddings obviously.

Michael Spanheimer September 11th, 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon Martins (Post 1812449)
hey, i can't change manually my shutter either.

only works when using manual lenses (no electric contact)

"When in Manual mode if you push the shutter button you should see a white box around shutter speed"

NOPE. this doesn't happen. it change from just the "60" for example, to auto (A with arrow and the shutter value)

all my buttons/controls works fine. but i almost never change shutter speed, so i didn't bother...

Manual Shutter is only available when you turn OFF the Facedetection...Weird but true...

Marlon Martins September 11th, 2013 11:44 AM

WHAT? for real? will test later.. .;P

outch, its real!:

"When [FACE DETECTION] is set to [ON], you
cannot adjust shutter speed, etc. To adjust
shutter speed, etc., set [FACE DETECTION] to
[OFF] temporarily by setting the FOCUS switch
B to MAN"

Noa Put September 11th, 2013 12:30 PM

jeez...thx Sony

Michael Spanheimer September 11th, 2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon Martins (Post 1812495)
WHAT? for real? will test later.. .;P

outch, its real!:

"When [FACE DETECTION] is set to [ON], you
cannot adjust shutter speed, etc. To adjust
shutter speed, etc., set [FACE DETECTION] to
[OFF] temporarily by setting the FOCUS switch
B to MAN"

I had my cam on an event and was wondering what the problem was.... Impossible to figure this one out
without the manual at hand....wtf...

Steven Digges September 11th, 2013 12:39 PM

David,

After checking to be sure face detection is off if it still does not work hit the reset button. You will loose the settings you have programmed but it fixed my "bug".

BTY, I took face detection off the preset button and made it touch focus a long time ago.

Steve

James Manford September 11th, 2013 03:52 PM

LOL ... Does any body actually read the manual ??? Got to love these forums. I love it when people figure things out and share the information for the rest of us!

I've made a mental note of this now. Although i'm always shooting with manual lenses, the odd occasion I throw on a auto lens i'll be sure to remember to switch off face detection!

Don Bloom September 11th, 2013 04:04 PM

What's a manual? You mean transmission? Ha, I actually have the book for my HM700 and honestly I have looked thru it. It has lots of purty pitures! ;-)