Cheap EA50 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 12th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Cheap EA50

I have found that the best thing is to use DVi sponsors or other RELIABLE stores. While Amazon isn't a sponsor I have purchased a lot of accessories from them over the years.
The reason I say this is because the sweetness of low price is forgotten long before the bitterness of bad service.
When you buy something from say B&H you are going to get exactly what they say you're going to get without the high pressure tactics of some other places that "encourage" you to buy stuff you don't want or need to get the advertised price of the item you want. You also know you're not getting grey market which means you'll have the factory warranty. You'll also have a return policy AND no playing around with you're money meaning after you place the order and you refuse to order the other stuff you don't want they process your credit card and then hopefully in a few months they'll ship the merchandise.
Most camera gear is sold within a few dollars from one store to another and when you find the one that has an extremely low price you have to question why and how they can do it and no one else can.
While I understand the need and desire to save some money, ask yourself this; "how much will I "save" if I don't get the camera when I was promised it, how much will I "save" if there isn't a factory warranty, how much will I "save" when I have to buy a bunch of other stuff to get the "lowest price" and BTW, in most cases, the extra stuff you have to buy is stuff that should be coming with the camera anyway from the manufacturer.
Do yourself a favor and buy from a reliable retailer, you'll save in the long run.
Just sayin'!
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for the tips Don. The thing is, having no factory warranty isn't an issue for me. I'm buying from the US and shipping to New Zealand. Sony doesn't have an international warranty as far as I know, so if anything went wrong with the camera I'd probably just have to use my insurance or pay for the repairs here in NZ.

So I just want the best possible price :)
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Also, can anyone comment on the EA50H vs the EA50UH?
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...ml#post1769185
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Trustee

+1 on what Don said.

Jody, if your going to order from the US B&H has the lowest "reputable price". I bought mine there shortly after the release date and they are already $500.00 less. I have been buying stuff from them since the days when you had to buy a photography magazine and then pick up a telephone! Never been burned buy them but I was ripped off by some of the other New York stores in the old days. I have just stuck with B&H for many years now. And they are a DVINFO sponsor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887069-REG/Sony_nex_ea50h_Sony_NEX_EA50_Camcorder_with.html

Alan B, What dealer are you with? You said your a sponsor but not who you are? Plug yourself.

Was it just me? In Alan's comparison videos I thought the 700 was going to shine over the 50. It didn't, I liked some of the shots from the EA50 even more than the FS700. And I am not saying that just because I have one. I was surprised.

Steve
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I have previously always got my cameras from Global Media Pro so they are sourced via New Zealand but actually delivered from either Hong Kong or Singapore so warranty becomes an issue.

My Sony's came from a dealer in Brisbane and they actually beat the price of GMP and gave me free shipping within Australia.

It's always best to go to a well known dealer that actually has a physical address too ...some shops are purely online and drop ship the product ... it's nice to be able to either visit or phone a real person too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the tips guys. I'd still be interested to know if anyone has any experience with RytherCamera.com Digital Cameras, Camcorders and Photography Accessories. It's a physical store in NJ, according to the website. They've got the EA50 for $2899 US which is the best I've found.

My main concern is finding a reputable retailer outside of New York. My new plan is to ship the camera to a friend who lives in NY, but if I use a New York based shop then I'll have to pay a 9% sales tax.

I know, I'm cheap :P But my budget isn't huge.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I have found that the best thing is to use DVi sponsors... While Amazon isn't a sponsor I have purchased a lot of accessories from them over the years.
Amazon can be considered as a DVi sponsor, thanks to their affiliate program. Amazon links posted to DVi have a little bit of code inserted into them which credits us for any Amazon sales generated by those links. What's interesting is that there a couple of members here who like to post Amazon links with their own affiliate codes... I hate to disappoint anyone who thought they could make money from our forum, but *all* Amazon links posted to this site are automatically re-written with the DVi affiliate code. So, post as many Amazon links as you want -- DVi gets a tangible benefit as a result.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #23
Major Player

Ignore my last question, guys. I'm in the process of ordering one now :) Exciting!
Old September 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Awesome Jody

You will find it an really innovative camera ..I'm a shoulder mount enthusiast so mine are permanently in that mode with video light batteries and receivers mounted on top of the shoulder pad for better balance.

What I also like is the fact that with my Novoflex adapters I can also use all my Nikon DSLR lenses ..makes it a very adaptable camera!!

Let us know when it lands in New Zealand?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Yep, I'm pretty excited about getting it. I was so close to buying the EA50 instead of the HM600 originally, so I'm really happy to have both now. I think they represent the best of both worlds in terms of ENG and cinematic work.

I'm having the camera shipped to a friend in New York. So it'll be a few weeks before he gets back to NZ and I get my hands on it. But I'll definitely be posting some footage when I have a chance to play with it.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)