Noa get in here please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Trustee

Noa get in here please.

I know you've flown your EA50 on your Glidecam (equivalent) before and you use a 550d most of the time.

Any reason why you don't fly your CX730 ... would of thought this is a better option due to it's auto capabilities and low light performance???

I don't actually own a glidecam yet, but I was looking to try out something really cheap first within £70-80 range (so many to choose from on ebay) ... I just want it for a quick few shots at weddings so don't want to go spend £500 unless I have too.

The purpose of this post was just for an insight of what you think ...

And any one else that has a Glidecam / flycam etc, feel free to drop in!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Noa get in here please.

Just a quick update, i've purchased a 'Smoothshot' stabilizer for £60. With 100% money back guarantee including return postage so ... if it's no good I can return it with no problems.

Got to love eBay!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

On a steadicam you have to turn of the OIS because it will make unwanted corrections, especially on the cx730 and it's magic eyeball. The reason why I have not tried the cx730 on my blackbird is because it's too light to balance the blackbird, I have the same issue with my gh3 and the 12-35mm lens from panasonic, that combo is too light as well. I did buy a extra batterygrip to add wheight but then I notice the screw hole is completely off-set on the grip so I can't balance it. Currently I fly the gh3 with a Samyang 14mm lens and that's a heavy lens weighing just enough to use the smallest counterbalance weights on the horizontal rod of the blackbird but I want to use the 12-35mm I got instead so currently looking for solutions to add the needed weight. The blackbird comes with a gimbal extender as well and that's the only thing I have not tried yet to see if that makes any difference flying very light camera's, I think I"ll contact CMR (the blackbird manufacturer) to ask for advise as they have been very helpful so far.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Same here - I tried my EA50 on my Merlin but found it too heavy for any extended periods - killed my arm! and found my CX700 (pretty much same as CX730) too light - even though I could get it balanced a slight breeze sent it off and I just couldn't get stable enough footage - it was too delicate.

I found the solution by using my VG20 with Samyang 14mm lens - heavy enough for smooth motion but does not kill my arm.

I'm still practising so only really use it during reception time - the footage has yet to find a way into a finished edit - I need to get it just right first :)

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

You can actually fly any camcorder if you add weight plates to the top of the rig. Obviously if a camera is too light and the rig is set up for a 2kg camera then, if the CX weighs 500g ..all you need is some weight plates under the camera and it will balance fine. My current rig is designed for a 5lb camera on the sled and I used to fly with my little GH1 DSLR quite well ..it just sat on a pile of steel plates to make up the top weight. You can probably get away with less if you are using the Blackbird style rig that doesn't need the weight to utilise the springs in a conventional dual spring arm ..just enough really so the centre of effort drops from above the camera to where the gimbal is located.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

James, I bought the Glide Gear SYL3000 to learn the basics, as it was only £79 and very easy to clamp to the tripod for quick release and use. I quickly found that I had to change the cheap plastic gimbal for a steel one, which was very quick and easy.to do.

I normally use it with my Panasonic bridge camera as my Panasonic SD700/900s are too light, although I will be experimenting more with extra weight on them. I have used the Glide Gear at a couple of weddings and have got some useable footage from it, but like Pete, need a lot more practice and experimenting before I am totally confident with it. It will never get all the shots that £500+ stabilisers will, but used carefully it will be a very useful addition and being small, very convenient.

Here is a link to another thread where I posted a couple of pictures of it mounted on the tripod alongside one of the Panasonic video cams. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...m-wedding.html

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Cheers for the input guys (Having a read of your thread now Roger).

I think my CX730, with the FV100 battery will weigh around 600-650grams. The Smoothshot claims to work upto 1kg.

I'll see how it goes.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)