First full shoot with EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Trustee

First full shoot with EA50

well I maid it through my first full wedding (actually I did 2 in one day) and all in all it was good. I relized now that Chris was right I shot the whole thing in 21 db gain (because I had to) and I couldnt see grain at all the image was a bit "flat" and didnt have much punch but that could be the feeling you get with a DSLR film look camera. I DO want a faster lens though in some situations it just didnt have enough. The 85 mm at 1.4 looks like the best solution for me for now BUT I have to admit I was getting really comfortable with the auto focus which I assume will not work with a 3rd party lens.couple things though. Why cant I adjust the shutter while auto focus is on? (annoying!) how do I play footage back in the camera?

All in all things went well but a ND filter would have been nice there were times when I went outside and not having a ND filter it just slowed down the transistion, it took me longer to get ready.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: First full shoot with EA50

Might be wrong, but I think I read in another thread you have to switch of FACE DETECTION, to control shutter with autofocus.

I shoot at 21db as well (well limit the camcorder to that). Manual lenses can be a bit tricky but you get used to focusing yourself due to peaking being so good.

I also own a Samyang F1.4 85mm best lens for capturing 'talking heads' at low light events. And if you move far away enough you can capture the whole body.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi James,

I hope you don't mind me asking, what lens did you use for the speeches! I used the stock lens on my Wedding on Saturday but I wasn't happy with the results.

Iain J
Iain P. Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Iain

Speeches for me work well with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 constant Nikon mount since I also use it on my still cameras. It's also very useful for ceremonies in Churches with really low light. I tried the Sigma 24 -70 but found that it just wasn't wide enough for ceremonies if the priest decides to walk up front!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Why cant I adjust the shutter while auto focus is on?
Because you shouldn't!
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Trustee

Why not? Sometimes I need to drop the shutter from 1/60 to 1/30 in extreme low light now I need to put it in manual focus then drop it down and re engage auto focus.
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Chris,
Just curious how close can you get to the subject in the churches you work in?
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I have the Metabones speedbooster so I use my Canon 28-105mm at F2.8 for dark receptions (talking head stuff) and my 70-200mm at F1.9 (I think this is correct because the LCD readout will not go below F2.0) for the speeches - that way I can film without getting in the way of the guests.

I'd like to try the Samyang 85mm 1.4 James but how do you deal with lack of stabilization - do you use a monopod?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Why not? Sometimes I need to drop the shutter from 1/60 to 1/30 in extreme low light now I need to put it in manual focus then drop it down and re engage auto focus.
It's filmmaking 101. When shooting film/video shutter speed shouldn't be used to control light, but look.
The golden rule is to use a shutter of twice your frame rate (for the elusive 'filmic' look). So if you shoot 25fps you should have a shutter of 1/50. If you increase it you start getting a more video-ish look. Slower and you quickly get too much motion blur, and are probably better off raising the gain and live with the noise.
Different shutter speeds can also cause flicker in some lighting conditions, especially in 60hz land...
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I either position the main camera at the second row from the front or around that area so depending where the priest decides the bride and groom will stand I'm anything from 20' to 40' away...I found if I go further back in the aisle I get blocked totally by people in the front row when I swing the camera around when I'm filming the readings at a side lectern so up front is better.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
It's filmmaking 101. When shooting film/video shutter speed shouldn't be used to control light, but look.
The golden rule is to use a shutter of twice your frame rate (for the elusive 'filmic' look).
Quite right Dmitri but Randy will find that pretty much impossible without ND filtration - I use the Genus Eclipse ND Fader

Eclipse ND Fader Filters | Genustech

And Xume magnetic quick release adapter

Home Page

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #12
Trustee

Chris,
Whoa! no wonder you dont need a longer lens out priests would throw us out for being that close:). I might be able to get that close for the money shot but the rest im much farther away depending on the church of course. Many of out churches want us in the back center isle.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)