Hoodman fits nicely at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 17th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Hoodman fits nicely

Hi All - the Hoodman H-400 fits the LCD screen nicely - have used it for a few weddings and am very happy with it :)
Attached Thumbnails
Hoodman fits nicely-20130917_122040.jpg   Hoodman fits nicely-20130917_122051.jpg  

Hoodman fits nicely-20130917_122103.jpg  
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Hoodman fits nicely

before i bought the ea50, i knew i would not use the VF extension on the LCD (same thing when i used the ex3)

i was ready to make DIY hood, but realized i can unscrew the whole thing and let only the small hood of the original accessory.

working fine now, but i will make a better/larger one myself later
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Marlon - that's what I originally did but the hoodman extends much further - ideal for me
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yeap, the original is too small. i will do one not so big as your hoodman, but about 75% as big ;)
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, I have got the H400 for my HD110 (originally on my PDX10P) and the H300 for my Canon HF200. Love them both.
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Nice Pete

Sadly I'm old and falling apart eyesight wise so I really need the VF so I can make use of the magnification so I can focus decently ...the LCD is too small for my old eyes! I need about 1.5 dioptre magnification to be comfortable but don't like shooting with specs!! Hmmm maybe I need contacts???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Well Chris I'm short sighted and wear glasses/contacts for driving/watching TV etc but can't wear them to see close up so I'm ok filming without. I have to be more than 6" away from the LCD screen but I'm ok with that.

I remember back in the day working with cameras such as the JVC-DV500 and the Panny DP-800 I used to flip up the VF magnifier and look directly at the screen - I just don't like having my eye against the VF - I quite often film from low down or high up - I find a weddings in particular getting the camera up over a group of people results in good shots, and sometimes the only way to get the footage in a crowd - kills your arm though :)
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

I'm the opposite ...I can see far but not close ..I actually tried a hoodman with one of those credit card sized Fresnel lenses over the top (it fitted exactly) but it distorts if you don't look directly straight down.

I only need glasses for close up work so the VF works a treat (plus I put a 52mm +2 closeup lens on the top (it screws right in) which allows more adjustment. I guess I'm just used to the VF but I still flip it down if I'm using the stock lens and need to use the touch focus ...works very well for the ceremony.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #9
Trustee

I wonder would the Hoodman H-400 fit the XA20?

Thanks.

Answering my own question here.

Contacted Hoodman and they recommend the Hoodman HD350 for the XA20.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; February 17th, 2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Add to post.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)