Sensor cleaning - every shoot! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 19th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sensor cleaning - every shoot!

Well I change lenses quite a lot during a wedding shoot and as a result, even though I am very careful, when I check the camera before the following shoot I always have a few small specks that need cleaning!

I use 'Photographic Solutions' sensor swabs and fluid but will doing it before every shoot harm my sensor?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sensor cleaning - every shoot!

Never had any issue with my 550d as that sensor is covered if you change your lenses, had issues with my ea50 from day one and started using a arctic butterfly to get rid of any dust that would end up on the sensor, I use that before every wedding I shoot and it keeps my sensor clean during the shoot, I always have it with me so if I would notice a spot during a shoot I quickly wipe the brush over the sensor and gone are the spots, this does no harm to the sensor at all. Only if the arctic butterfly is not able to remove the spots I would use other methods that require actual cleaning of the sensor.

The ea50 has a mechanical shutter when you take photo's, I wish you could activate it when the lens is removed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hell Noa that's a lot of money for a spinning brush lol!

Might look into it though - handier to carry than the swabs

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Just watched a video ... the brush spins to build up a static charge apparently. I guess that's how they justify the £60 average price tag.

I just use one of those cheap squeegee air blowers, does the job nicely. But I probably don't change lenses as much as you guys ...
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Hell Noa that's a lot of money
everything in videoland costs a lot of money :) I know it ain't cheap but it has been very effective in my case to remove dust spots. I had used a airblower as well but that still left spots on the sensor which the arctic butterfly was able to remove.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I also just use a blower ..the one that is shaped like a rocket ship and it seems to do a good job!

I notice that my Nikon still cameras are set to do a sensor clean every time they are turned on... pity the 50 didn't have an auto cleaner like that.

I do try to change lenses with the camera facing down about 45 degrees so "falling dust" isn't trapped on the sensor ...that's what the manual suggests anyway. A visual inspection of my sensors has never shown any spots at all and I haven't seen any problems on footage either.

Hmmm maybe an arctic brush is a worthwhile investment ...can you hurt the sensor with the brush if you did a quick spin before every lens change or is it better to only use it when you have to??? I dunno what the Nikons use but it seems that doing a clean every time the camera is turned on doesn't seem to hurt the sensor ...would they use some sort of brush that wipes the sensor? Anyone know?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)