ND filter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 21st, 2014, 09:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: ND filter

a use 2 Emolux ND filters (ND4, ND8) for outdoors videos

cheap and good quality.
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:30 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm going for the genustech eclipse variable nd filter NOA has/had.
My biggest lens diameter is 77mm. (the samyang 24mm)

Will I order a 77 nd filter or going for a bigger one? My 2 other lenses have 72mm and 67mm (stocklens powerzoom)

Maybe 77mm is already a big diamter lens? Have no experience with other lenses.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:50 AM   #18
Major Player

Tom,

I am using similar lenses on my FS100, and use 77mm ND with step down rings for the smaller ones.
Its a bit fiddly, but it works!
The 77mm ND has no issues on my Samyang 35mm lens.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:42 PM   #19
New Boot

Well, I may be the fool here... but in my haste, when I purchased the camera well over a year ago, I simply bought the expensive one: the Heliopan. What I did figure correctly is that it goes on my camera almost every time I'm outside... but I figured I wanted the best glass possible over what I realize now might be considered a medium quality lens at best.
For whatever it's worth, it's really great... I set the camera where I want and then just spin the filter by hand to set the exposure the way I want. It's really high quality feeling... actually nicer than dealing with the buttons/wheels on the camera.

Now I'm curious if I'd notice a visual difference between this $350 filter and a $100 filter, and somehow I'm guessing I wouldn't. Oh well.

Here's a slightly exotic little piece from this summer... I was flown and choppered up to this remote location where this crew is installing fibre optic cable. EDIT: 'Almost' all (outdoor) exposures set by spinning the filter. Yes, I got a couple wrong. :)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...7a482442db59b2

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl N. Barg; March 22nd, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Darryl N. Barg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:39 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have both Zeus and a Tiffen variable ND's - both great as far as I'm concerned and reasonably priced.
Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #21
New Boot

As I understand, most of You are using on-thread filters. We, owners of EA50, can not use matteboxes because of the lens structure. But did somebody try option of the filter holders like this:
LEE Filters Foundation Kit (Standard 4x4", 4x6" Filter Holder) (Requires Adapter Ring)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87108-REG/LEE_Filters_FK_Foundation_Kit_Standard_4x4.htmlor this:
Cokin Filter Holders
Cokin Filter Holders & Accessories | B&H Photo Video
And what about clip-on matteboxes, like those:
Matte Boxes & Sunshades | B&H Photo Video
Thank You in advance.
Sergei Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Just bought my EA50 this week after contemplating it for several months. Ordered a Rodenstock variable ND filter - 1 to 5 stops effect, so not as strong as some others. Seems very well constructed and cost £93, as opposed to the Tiffen which costs about £150 here in the UK.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #23
Trustee

Cokin and Lee filters are junk. They would be a waste of money.

That Heliopan is worth every penny you paid for it. Any glass that goes in front of any lens must be of higher quality than the lens. You know it visually if you underestimated the filters quality. When you get it right you will always wonder. There is no chart or standard to be sure of that except money.

Steve
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I have several Heliopan 'screw on' filters and in my opinion, they are worth every cent. I also use a matte box with my Zeiss primes and my little 28-70mm zoom because it is the only Contax zoom which does does not extend like all the other Zeiss zoom lenses do.

For the matte box, I have a small selection of Schneider Optics 4x4" glass filters and they are the best in the business for cine work BUT I am very pleased with the results I get the three Fotga graduated ND 4x4" glass filters which I recently bought for about $60/set. Given that Schneider 4x4" filters cost between $200 and $300 each, the Fotga 4x4s offer great value for money.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #25
Major Player

I receive my genustech eclipse next week. I will let you know how it works out with my mattebox.
Will make video of it (if the ND filters works on it)
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

I thought the reason for your matte box was to be able to use a standard 4x4 filter? Seems a waste to have a huge matte box and then still have to screw on a filter??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Cokin and Lee filters are junk. They would be a waste of money.
Thanks for Your answer. But I meant not Lee and Cokin glasses, but holders. Actually, as I understand, I can push into those holders any good quality 4x4 filters, cannot I? In EA50 there is a problem - the lens hood (compendium) structure makes some problem accessing screw filter, so this makes me taking off this hood for any filter manipulation. The hood, which plastic is not that strong, I believe, will break in a month this way...
Things that I afraid of them in this kind of holders are: a.How to attach to them some kind of french-flag and wings for minimazing flares and light diffusion; b. If they hold filters into themselves strong enough to keep glass from falling down during hand held video shooting or moving camera from one shooting location to another.
Thank You in advance.
Sergei Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Tom

I thought the reason for your matte box was to be able to use a standard 4x4 filter? Seems a waste to have a huge matte box and then still have to screw on a filter??

Chris
because the stocklens extends I needed a screw on filter
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #29
Trustee

Hi Sergei,

Welcome to the forum. I would not be the right person to advise you on matte boxes or filter holders. I have no interest in putting a matte box on my EA50. The good news is there are a lot of threads going on right now in this forum with lots of information on both subjects.

Steve
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

I actually sold my matte box ... I bought the rail system so I could use the support rod rig which is brillant but as you mention it's only good for very short throw zooms or prime lenses. The Genus variable ND is what's usually recommended for this camera so tell us how you find it??

If I were you I would dump the matte box now ...it is serving you now real purpose other than looking "cool" and at nearly 1kg right up the front of the camera it adds a HUGE in-balance to the whole camera. Do yourself a favour and slip off the matte box and take off your counter weight and go and do a shoot. You will be amazed how much easier your camera is to handle and use ...!! If I have stuff that doesn't work out it goes onto eBay and I use the money to buy something else more useful.

Sergei?? I wouldn't even think about a matte box ...the EA-50 is already a front heavy camera and adding a matte box right up front will make the camera feel 10 times more heavy !! Unless of course you are never going to handhold it and it will be always on a tripod. Most lenses will have a adequate hood to protect against flares anyway. Take it from one who tried it and it simply adds a huge amount of un-needed bulk to the camera.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)