ND filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Trustee

ND filter

Anyone recomend a good ND filter system for the sony NEX?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: ND filter

I use this one, it gets the job done...I just purchased the largest filter size and bought a bunch of step down rings...

Tiffen 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter 77VND B&H Photo
Paul Abbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I use the Genus Eclipse variable ND - it's great

Eclipse ND Fader Filters | Genustech

And the quick release filter system from Xume

Products

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Is there footage out there from the nex-ea50 with and without a ND filter. to see the difference?
I have mattebox with 4x4 filter holder.

And which nd filter do I need? I know with the sony NX5 I fimed outside in auto mode and the camcorder told me which ND setting to use.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Ditto on the Genus variable filter. Works great. Haven't seen any odd discolorations.
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Major Player

genus get some great reviews. But I also read some great reviews about the very cheap ND filter from fotga.
Because the stocklens extends I can't use my mattebox with that lens.
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Major Player

the fotga is good but looses too much sharpness while zooming in I read.
I also read good reviews about the hoya variable nd filter.

So at this moment I doubt between the tiffen,hoya or genus. All about in the same price range.

I use a mattebox and french flags so it's difficult to rotate the nd filter when shooting "handheld"
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

With the mattebox you can forget about turning the variable nd filter while shooting handheld and even on a tripod you risk that your hand will come into the frame, what you can do is just set the variable filter at the desired nd stop and just leave it while shooting, that works fine as long as the light conditions don't change too much.
On my blog there are some tests with filters in combination with the nex-ea50: https://accidentalvideographer.wordp...-ea50/filters/
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Noa,

thannks for helping me out again. Yes, like you said: set it on the desired nd stop as the lightning conditions doesn't change too much. That will be best.

That genus nd filter looks really great to me! I believe if you say that even fully zoomed in there is almost no image quality loss.

Without a nd filter I have no DOF background because the F stop goes really high to compensate this.
In this case the big sensor is useless without ND filter.

So I buy the ND filter for the biggest lens with a downstep ring? Then I can all use the 3 lenses I have (from you)

perhaps a stupid question: can I leave this nd filter on when going inside a house? So turn it on minimum or do I always inscrew it when going from outside to inside?
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Yes you can get some step down rings attached to each lens so you can use the filter on all lenses (expect the 14mm from Samyang which doesn't allow a nd filter to be attached), there is a magnetic ring from xume (Home Page) available which allows very quick changing of the filter onto all you lenses BUT after having used such a ring for a while I will never buy it again. I know many here that got it have raved about how easy and quick it is to use but I damaged my expensive nd filter because of it. I was carrying around my camera on the tripod and the filter was attached to the lens with the magnetic ring, I must have accidentally pushed against the ring with my shoulder and the ring popped off and my nd filter fell onto the ground. I trew the xume away, will screw the filter onto the lens each time, then at least it's secure.

Leaving the filter on inside is not such a good idea, even at it's lowest setting you"ll loose quite some light making your slow stocklens useless, you can get away with it with a fast prime, unless it your at a dark reception.
Old March 18th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Anyone recomend a good ND filter system for the sony NEX?
yes I have one I can recommend. I made this video:

I shot this on a Sony FS100 which has the exact same mount as the EA50, so it will give the exact same result in theory. without it, the snow would have been so bright you would see nothing.
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Looks great chris, I too found the Holymanta an interesting product, I only wonder how the deliverytimes are now, I understood it started with one person making this at his home. It's not exactly cheap but should make setting exposure and switching lenses much easier. (with the nd filter covering your sensor so dust should not get so easy in the camera)
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Inner Circle

So I'm guessing the Holymanta has NEX mount both sides and simply includes a NEX to EF adapter - has anyone used this? I use both NEX and EF lenses so I'm assuming it will work with either?

This could a must have purchase if so!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Regular Crew

yes because I own it I can answer. sorry sir, but u assume incorrectly. that would be impossible. it is Canon to NEX only. it has to sit that far from the sensor to accommodate a canon lens. but in order for a NEX camera to work on a NEX mount, it must be flush with the camera. u can't put anything between a NEX lens and an NEX mount. canon mounts you can. this is a factor of the flange distance for those different mount. for NEX lenses the ONLY way to get a ND on them is to put the ND on the end of the lens.
sorry to disappoint you
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris - would have been nice though!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)