DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/519319-tamron-17-50-f2-8-a.html)

Iain P. Johnston October 4th, 2013 03:24 PM

Tamron 17-50 F2.8

I hope someone can advise! I am looking to buy a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 constant Nikon mount, do I need an adaptor for the Sony NEX 50

Iain J

Chris Harding October 4th, 2013 07:52 PM

Re: Tamron 17-50 F2.8

Hi Iain

Too easy!! Just stay well clear from the el-cheapo Chinese adapters and you will be fine!! Also make sure the adapter you select does have an aperture ring on it so you can adjust the iris when required.

I personally have Novoflex adapters from Germany...they are pricey but brilliant ... I would rather pay a tiny bit extra for an adapter than buy one that ends up damaging my camera! I use my Tammy 17-50 on my Nikon D90's as well....great value for money lens and sharp too!!!

Chris

Iain P. Johnston October 6th, 2013 04:21 PM

Hi John,

Found one at £138 plus £6 delivery from Germany on EBay

Cheers

Chris Harding October 6th, 2013 06:31 PM

Hi Iain

Was that for the lens or the adapter??

Chris

David Wibowo October 7th, 2013 02:39 AM

Quite possibly for the lens I'll say.

Us in Australia can get this one: Tamron SP AF 17 50mm F 2 8 XR DI II VC LD Asph IF FOR Nikon | eBay

AUD$200 used or AUD$300 brand new from overseas.

I've never used this lens so have no opinions at all regarding it.

Iain P. Johnston October 7th, 2013 12:36 PM

Hi Chris,

It's for the adaptor, the lens is £299 from Calumet!

Here's the Ebay link:

Novoflex Adapter Nikon Lenses to Sony NEX Cameras - NEX-NIK | eBay

Chris Harding October 7th, 2013 06:11 PM

Nice Iain

They do seem expensive compared to the couple of quid you pay for the Chinese ones but these adapters fit the camera like original equipment both on the lens side and camera side. I have two! (one for each of my EA-50's) Despite the low lens price I have found them to be nice and sharp and work pretty well and I do prefer zooms to primes as it makes framing so much easier especially if you stuck in one spot.

Chris

Tom Van den Berghe February 6th, 2014 03:41 PM

I think I will go for this lens. I have found a cheap second hand one like new near my house.
Only the adapter confuses me.

Cheaper ones like this will work to?

UK Nikon F Mount TO Sony NEX Adapter FOR NEX 3 NEX 5 | eBay

but no control over the aperture?

Chris Harding February 6th, 2014 06:50 PM

Hi Tom

A lot of Nikon lenses have no aperture ring so it's essential to get an adapter that has an aperture lever/slider on it so you can open and close the iris.

Both my Novoflex adapters have them and on the EA-50 with the Tamron outside you can easily "bottom out" exposure wise if you leave it at F2.8 ... I have often seen my 17-50 cause the camera to hit the 10,000 shutter speed and have to close the iris down so you DO need the control.

Chris

Iain P. Johnston February 6th, 2014 07:00 PM

You only get what you pay for, I paid around £200 for my Novoflex adapter and I am very happy with it.

Tom Van den Berghe February 7th, 2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1831034)
Hi Tom

A lot of Nikon lenses have no aperture ring so it's essential to get an adapter that has an aperture lever/slider on it so you can open and close the iris.

Both my Novoflex adapters have them and on the EA-50 with the Tamron outside you can easily "bottom out" exposure wise if you leave it at F2.8 ... I have often seen my 17-50 cause the camera to hit the 10,000 shutter speed and have to close the iris down so you DO need the control.

Chris

I think I understand this Chris. When you can't control aperture the shutter speed can co for 1/200 for example inside. With the aperture control you can hold the shutter on 1/50, wright?

Chris Harding February 8th, 2014 02:24 AM

Hi Tom

When I do wedding receptions I obviously need lot's of light capture so my Tamron normally stays at F2.8 and whatever shutter the camera decides on. I shoot everything in 1080i and not progressive so I don't need to match shutter speeds. I will very seldom need to change sunlit shoots in the shade as at F2.8 the shutter speed is not excessive! In bright sunlight however I normally stop down to keep the shutter at decent rates. If you are shooting interlaced the shutter doesn't HAVE to be twice the frame rate ... I often will shoot outdoor stuff at shutter speeds right up to 1/6000 sec!!!!! Just be careful though..if you are filming movement ..like running water a very high shutter can freeze the action on each frame so it starts to look un-natural!!

I think if you are buying Nikon mount lenses then rather splash out a little extra for an adapter with the aperture lever ...both my Novoflex adapters have them!

Chris

Peter Rush February 9th, 2014 07:39 AM

A little off topic guys but I use a Tamron 24-70 (canon mount) with my metabones and run it at a constant 2.8 - mainly for dim evening receptions and it's fantastic - sharper image than my canon L series 24-105!!

Pete

Tom Van den Berghe February 9th, 2014 02:10 PM

HAs the tamron a pin on the inside of the lens for aperture control?
I think I will buy this cheap adapter. I think I will take the risk

Chris Harding February 9th, 2014 06:30 PM

The first cheap adapter I bought was a FOTGA for only $35.00 and it also had an aperture lever but the actuator looked like a pin that was actually a tiny piece of threaded rod. The adapter jammed on the camera and was so tight on my Nikon lenses it marked the mount quite badly.

I threw it in the bin!! I cannot see the logic in damaging an almost $4000 camera with a $30 adapter!!!

I would seriously buy a decent adapter like a Novoflex from Germany ..Mine were 160 euros and they are well made and fit perfectly. I got mine from a guy in Germany who also sells vintage lenses called the "Camera Gentleman"

Really don't buy Chinese cheap rubbish and damage your camera. lens or both!!

Chris