Is the digital zoom lossless? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 20th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Is the digital zoom lossless?

Do you have the stock 18-200 or the 18-105? They have have a servo zoom rocker on the side just for the lens. Then set the rocker on the camera for digital zoom.

Last edited by Randy Johnson; October 20th, 2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add photos
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:32 AM   #17
Major Player

yes Randy, it worked!
I have the 18-200 lens and has a servo zoom on the lens.

So I did 11x zooming on the lens and digital zoom worked on both zoom rockers of the camcorder.

The zooming difference between 11x and a extra 2x digital wasn't huge at first sight.Can be wrong.

I will test this on sunday. thank you!
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:50 PM   #18
Trustee

Glad I could help good luck, BTW there is a loss when you are all the way in on the digital zoom but its pretty minor and on a action sport i doubt its a big problem.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Glad I could help good luck, BTW there is a loss when you are all the way in on the digital zoom but its pretty minor and on a action sport i doubt its a big problem.
After filming the soccer game in most cases the 11x optical zoom was enough. Sometimes I used the extra digital zoom the film the fans in close up on the other side of the field.

For soccer not a big problem the digital zoom. But switching from the zoom on the lens itself to one of 2 zoom rockers to digital zoom was not easy. When I already needed one hand to operate the tripod to made pans.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)