UV filter, batteries, bags & shutter speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 6th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Major Player

UV filter, batteries, bags & shutter speed

Hey all,

I have a few more questions related to the EA50.. so I thought rather than making separate threads, I'd combine them all into one. Here goes...

1. Does anyone use an UV filter on the stock lens? Is it recommended? And if so, can anyone recommend a filter?

2. I currently don't own any ND filters, so what's the best way to use the camera without them? It seems that the only way to keep the iris open wide enough to achieve a shallow DoF is to let the camera automatically select a high shutter speed. Is there any downside to working this way? At what point does the shutter speed get so high that you'd notice stuttering?

3. Does everyone use genuine Sony batteries? I'd like to find something cheaper. Any recommendations? I realise genuine is always best, but my budget is tight after purchasing the camera.

4. And lastly, what bags does everyone keep their EA50 in? :)

Thanks guys. Any info is appreciated.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UV filter, batteries, bags & shutter speed

Hi Jody

I'm sure we are all different!!! but here is my input.

(a) UV filter - NONE (Shame on you Chris ! ) All my lenses have different filter sizes so I don't bother but I know I should use one!

(b) ND filters - NONE - I don't really aim for shallow DOF on outdoor shots so I just use high shutters in bright sunlight - However IF I did use ND's I think the Variable Genus would be the one to go for! Remember an APSC is not like a 3 chip camera that degrades the image after F8 ..I can get brilliant images at F16 even at 1/3000th shutter.

(c) Genuine Info Lithium ... I have some generics that my light uses but for weddings I wouldn't take a chance on cheapies except for emergency backup. The batteries run forever anyway ...I have yet to have to change batteries at a wedding!!

(d) Camera Bag - NONE again ... mine travel in custom made aluminium and contoured foam trays in the car and the trays then clip onto my trolley top at the venue. I am a bit of a freak when it comes to getting fungus on my glass so they get as much air as possible ..at home they are also in the trays so they get plenty of circulation.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey, good idea, all the info below are a combination of info from previous threads and my own usage.

1. I recommend it, since in my experience I've had 3 filter breakage that if there wasn't a filter, then the lens would've been smashed. I use HOYA | The Difference is Clear

Some of the cheaper UV filter will create ghosting or color fringing. It will happen anyway in certain situations no matter how good the UV filter is, but in those cases I just quickly screw it off.

2. Preferable is a variable ND. But if you want to depend on shutter speed alone, try not to past 1/100 sec in most cases, but it depends how fast your subject is moving, etc.

3. I only use genuine Sony battery. Quite a few of my offbrand batteries don't work. It lists your in NZ, globalmediapro has been the cheapest I found for Sony NP-F970 genuine batteries. I bought the 2 in 1 pack. With 1x NP-F970 I typically can last a 12 hr wedding, with about 20% left. then I have the F770 that came with the camera as a backup as well. I also have plenty that came with my previous cameras.

4. As suggested by a few on this forum, I went with the Petrol PC206 Deca Mini Camporter and have been very happy with it. Might be an issue if you want the viewfinder on, but it does still fit. With this bag, the camera snugs well, and I can put extra batteries, an extra lens (or two), the remote commanders, and various other small accs.

Hope it helps.
David Wibowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Would like to see the pic of your "foam trays in the car and the trays then clip onto my trolley top at the venue" ...having a hard time imagining how your setup is. Sounds intriguing though. Don't sweat it though if you don't have time to get pictures, because I know the last thing you want to do while getting to a venue for a shoot is to take selfies hahaha.

I just spoke at a conference and they wanted a picture with me in action with a camera, just realized that I have none in over a decade of shooting. lol.
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi David

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...era-bag-2.html

4th last post on that page has pics for you. It's made entirely from 25mm square anodised aluminium tube and joined with Connect-It's from Bunnings ....it's a brilliant concept and even an idiot like me can make up a trolley ....very light too!!!

Chris
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow, looks good Chris. Props to you!

Sure is tempting to have a trolley that is separable.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys! Great info.

The ND filter thing is bugging me mainly because I'm so used to my HM600. I can set my shutter speed at 1/50 and use the built-in ND filters to keep the aperture at around f5.6.

The EA50s shallow DoF is a whole new world to me, I've only ever had cameras with 1/3" chips before. I was outside today (bright sunny day) down by the river getting some great shots, and to keep the aperture at f3.5, the shutter speed was getting upwards of 1/400. I'm just worried that I'll accidentally ruin a good shot by letting the shutter speed get too high. But I'm usually just getting slow sliding/panning/tilting shots, so it might be fine.

As for UV filters, that Hoya filter looks good. I mainly want one because it protects the lens from getting scratched or damaged.

Anyways, thanks everyone :)
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

I also do Property Condition Reports during the week on my cams and they are not overly complicated nor need to be brilliant as we are simply showing the state of a rental home prior to a new tenant moving in.

I do these with my Tokina 11-16 F2.8 full open and let the camera run the shutter for me...As I have to do the garden first I have had situations (still at F2.8) when the shutter has actually topped 1/6000th and yep even panning over garden beds and lawns the footage looks fine!! That's something you really cannot do on a 3 chip camera!!

David?? If you wander to the precut aluminium in Bunnings you will see trays with precut square tube in silver and black and all the fittings. They are designed so people can make their own metal/glass furniture like coffee tables/side tables and such. Quite simple but a clever system where the plastic corner pushes into the aluminium tube and locks there...all you need is a hammer. However I have also zapped a pop rivet into each corner for safety!

Chris
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post

I do these with my Tokina 11-16 F2.8 full open and let the camera run the shutter for me...As I have to do the garden first I have had situations (still at F2.8) when the shutter has actually topped 1/6000th and yep even panning over garden beds and lawns the footage looks fine!! That's something you really cannot do on a 3 chip camera!!

Good to know! I do quite a lot of real estate work so I'm looking forward to putting this camera through its paces on the next house I shoot.

I got some great shots with it yesterday, the images are so incredibly sharp compared to the HM600. Really pleased with it.
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

With Realty stuff the really nice thing is that because you CAN add a lens and the Tokina at 11mm has a DOF that is huge, I can set the focus to 0.7m (between 2 and 3 feet) and just point and shoot ...everthing is sharp and in perfect focus wherever I am. My biggest issue used to be trying to pan over white ceiling in a room with white walls and the autofocus just had nothing to focus on so it gave up. With the 11mm it's as sharp as a tack ...If you are doing Realty then an 11-16 Tokina Constant F2.8 is an essential!!!

Chris
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Jody if you're going to use a variable ND filter then get the quick release system from Xume - the adpaters are well worth it - you can pop it on and off in a flash

Home Page
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Jody

With Realty stuff the really nice thing is that because you CAN add a lens and the Tokina at 11mm has a DOF that is huge, I can set the focus to 0.7m (between 2 and 3 feet) and just point and shoot ...everthing is sharp and in perfect focus wherever I am. My biggest issue used to be trying to pan over white ceiling in a room with white walls and the autofocus just had nothing to focus on so it gave up. With the 11mm it's as sharp as a tack ...If you are doing Realty then an 11-16 Tokina Constant F2.8 is an essential!!!

Chris
Yeah I've been thinking a wider angle lens would be nice. Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687279-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXS_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html
Would I need an adapter? Or does it come in an E-mount version? Can't seem to find one on B&H.
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Jody

I'm not too sure ..check the manual about using Alpha mount lenses..I think you can use some but some functions don't work. You still have to buy an LA-EA2 adapter from Sony anyway so it was easier to just get a Nikon adapter. AF with the Alpha lenses is also very slow says the manual!

My 11-16 is a Nikon mount and I use it on a Novoflex adapter in manual mode ...I also use it on my Nikons for Real estate still photos!!

Do you have still cameras?? If so get an adapter that allows you to use your still camera lenses and you then kill two birds with one stone!

You should have the normal 11-16 locally surely ..On ebay there are tons!! Tokina AT X 116 PRO DX 11 16mm F 2 8 11 16 F2 8 Nikon 411378035028 | eBay

Chris
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Trustee

Here is a 5 page thread where we discussed bags.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...amera-bag.html

For me, I am an old Porta Brace guy. Recently, I have picked up three new Kata bags and am very impressed. Much cheaper than Porta Brace too and I think that thread explains how I got some of them dirt cheap.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)