Anyone used the Tamron 17-50mm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Anyone used the Tamron 17-50mm

I'm intersted in this Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR VC Di II LD as I'm looking for a short fast zoom with Stabilization - I'd buy a canon but they don't do one!

Also as I use the metabones it needs to be a lens for full rame - not APS-C

Cheers

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anyone used the Tamron 17-50mm

I use it but on a canon dslr. It's maybe not the sharpest or best lens out there but it's the one i use the most as it's the most practical. it has a nice range from wide to 50. the image stabilizer works well. the weirdest thing is the focus ring turns the opposite way from most lenses.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I'm intersted in this Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR VC Di II LD as I'm looking for a short fast zoom with Stabilization - I'd buy a canon but they don't do one!

Also as I use the metabones it needs to be a lens for full rame - not APS-C

Cheers

Pete
I have this lens, the Canon mounted version. Excellent for the price. Pretty damn sharp though out the aperture and zoom range. Some barrel distortion at 17mm but not too bad.

Zoom is rather stiff, especially between 17mm and 28mm ish so if you're planning on zooming whilst recording, you'll need to be extra delicate.

VC works well, although it is a bit noisy and takes a couple of seconds to kick in.

A lot of folk online have said the non-VC is a bit sharper, I wouldn't know personally.

This is an APS-C lens so it won't be suitable for a full frame camera like a 5D3; it'll vignette heavily.
Mike Lorushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Mike - I'm almost convinced to purchase - APS-C though? On the Tamron site it says this lens is ideal for full frame and APS-C

Tamron Europe: Overview

Also inputting details for the 5D came up with no known issues

Strange :/
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #5
New Boot

Peter, unless I'm mistaken, I'm quite sure this lens is designed to cover the APS-C size sensors or smaller only. I've tried mine on a 5D2 and 5D3 and although it fits, it vignettes heavily so it's no good.
Mike Lorushe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

My Tammy 17-50 F2.8 with a Nikon mount definitely says APSC sensors and nothing about full frame ..that's in the blurb anyway if it helps. Maybe they do make a full frame 17-50???

Mine is a delight on the EA-50 but I'm running just with a Novoflex adapter so it's dumb!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Chris I ended up getting the Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon and it's great. It's the shortest zoom I can find at f2.8 with stabilisation. It's a lens for a full frame camera but through my speedbooster I get the focal reducation plus an extra stop - awesome!
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Brilliant!! I actually used to have a Sigma 24-70 Constant F2.8 but it was a real brute and heavy too, plus the zoom kept sticking at 24mm ....Because I'm upfront at ceremonies I often need a wide 17 or 18 mm plus I don't have the adapter like yours so I don't get the stop advantage nor the wide angle either ...What does the Metabones drop it to?? If it's 0.7 then you effectively have a 17-50 if it's on the adapter at maybe F2 or even F1.8

So all my Nikon lenses that are designed for the APSC sensor will vignette on the EA-50 if I use a Metabones adapter? Correct??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Yes this lens is heavy - and expensive (£800) but worth it for the extra stop - the display says f2.0 but I've read on this forum that it stops at 2.0, having said that I've a sony E-mount 50mm 1.8 and the display says 1.8 so maybe that's not correct.

Anyway it's a great lens and the fastest short zoom I could find with OS - I'm trying to get to a stage where I can do without my on camera light at dark receptions as it p****ses people off!

I've used the Tammy at just one wedding so far and apart from the rings operating in the opposite direction to the canon it's a fine lens. I used the Sony 50mm 1.8 and that was really nice (and has OS which is rare for such a fast lens) but I found I couldn't react quickly enough to the changing events - great for talking heads but as soon as something happened with a group of people I had to quickly back away to get them all in - not ideal.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)