DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   Lens mount adapters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/519771-lens-mount-adapters.html)

Jody Arnott November 4th, 2013 02:24 AM

Lens mount adapters

Hey all,

Just a couple of quick questions about lens mount adapters. I've done a bit of searching but I'm new to the world of interchangeable lens cameras and the huge amount of info is doing my head in.

Firstly, does auto iris and shutter work when using mount adapters on the EA50?

And can anyone recommend a decent E-mount to Nikon or EF mount adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Harding November 4th, 2013 06:25 AM

Re: Lens mount adapters

Hi Jody

With Smart Adapters I'm sure that everything does work but check carefully as I have a feeling that the Metabones doesn't support the Canon S series for some reason.

On "dumb" adapters (I have really nice Novoflex ones from Germany) you have a manual aperture control on the adapter and then if you set the EA-50 on full auto it will control the shutter automatically for you as well as gain! Focus, of course is manual but dead easy if you keep peaking on.

I was going to invest in two Metabones units but they are $600 a pop here and I have two cameras!!! I find that the dumb adapters are just as easy to use but your don't get the extra stop that Metabones gives you plus the 0.7 reduction in focal length. No big deal for me at all ...With F2.8 constant lenses I have no issues!!

Just stay away from the really cheap eBay dumb adapters from China! Mine nearly ruined my Nikon mounts and wouldn't even fit on my EA-50 ..the Novoflex fit like original equipment and are worth every penny!!

Chris

Phil Goetz November 4th, 2013 09:28 AM

Which lenses do you own right now? If you have relatives who might be getting out of photo, see what they might hand down... There is a case to be made for off brand totally manual lenses. I agree with what is said about cheap adapters though. They could get stuck on your lens and never come off. That is okay if you never want to take it off.

Jody Arnott November 4th, 2013 11:46 PM

Thanks Chris. I was looking at the Metabones adapters but they're not cheap. And I want the option to use auto iris and shutter so a cheap adapter is out of the question.

Phil, I don't currently have any lenses (aside from the stock E-mount lens) but I'm looking at the Tokina 11-16 which can be purchased in a variety of mounts, so I'm not restricted to any mount type yet.

Chris Harding November 5th, 2013 12:30 AM

Hi Jody

Using a manual lens on the EA-50 with a dumb (but decent) adapter is really not an issue. My novoflex adapters have their own iris ring so all I do is set the aperture to whatever I need and the camera takes over from there ..if you need more DOF just open up the lens and the camera will adjust shutter for you.

The only extra thing a smart adapter will do is focus and with my Tokina 11-16 I don't even do that!!! I just set the focus in Manual to 2.5' and then snap it back to auto and shoot like a point and shoot camera ..at 11mm you are in focus at F2.8 (wide open) from around 2' to infinity so everything is in focus anyway and inside houses your AF will not work anyway as white walls and white ceilings in an empty home fool the AF as there is no contrast to lock the focus so you need to use a preset anyway. Shallow DOF doesn't exist on the Tokina at it's just too wide!

I got mine from Germany for 170 euros as I couldn't see the reason to pay $600 here for a Metabones!!!

If you are looking at an 11-16 Tokina then get one with a mount that fits your still camera so it can be used on either.

Chris

Jody Arnott November 5th, 2013 03:20 AM

Thanks for the info Chris. My issue is I like to let the camera figure out the aperture first, as it gives me a rough idea of where it needs to be, and then I adjust manually from there. It's how I've always done it, so I'd be a bit lost with no auto iris.

Not too worried about auto focus though, I never use it.

Aaron Jones Sr. August 27th, 2014 03:23 PM

Did not want to start a new thread when one like this already exist. I have been on the prowl for Canon adapter for my EA50. after talking to Chris and Jody I decided to go ahead and research these adapters. this is what i found so far:

I got these links from another board but they are applicable to this subject so i thought i would use them here. For the most part I found that there is a lot of adapters that advertise AF but they do not work well... This is no problem for those that intend on using MF anyway. I'm trying to transition into MF myself. The auto iris is said to work well with most of these alternatives. It seems thought that they may be the same with a a little different look and a different name. Every place you seem to find them seem to have synonymous descriptions and reviews.

Techart .. has slider not button
Techart Auto Focus Adapter for Canon EF EOS Lens to Sony NEX 6 7 A7 A7R | eBay

Viltrox... has slider not button
Viltrox AF Auto Focus Lens Adapter Canon EOS EF EF s to Sony E NEX Camera A7 A7R | eBay I'm really interested in this one as it is stated that it is a new improved model and they call it "Auto Focus VILTROX EF-NEX II". This would lead to the understanding that they have changed something.

King ... slider
Auto Focus AF Canon EOS EF lens to Sony NEX E Mount Adapter NEX-7 A7R Full Frame

Commlite or STOK? .. looks like FF but does not say. Slider
Auto Focus Adapter for Canon EF EFS Lens to Sony NEX 3 5R 6R 7 A7 A7R Camera | eBay

Meke (?) as above, has slider and USB
Electronic Auto Focus Adapter Tube Canon EOS EF EF s Lens to Sony NEX E Mount A7 | eBay

As i have been reading the reviews i find that the Metabones also have issues with AF but the cam side of the adapter fits nice and snug where most of the others seems to have a little play according to the reviews. My big gripe is the felt that is used to eliminate ghosting. I agree with another guy in saying that the felt would shed and cause particles on the sensor. Not sure how many of you guys have tried any of these adapters but I'm going to choose one and go for it. I really like Chris H's Glass Strategy and I wanted to give some of it a go.

Aaron Jones Sr. August 27th, 2014 05:09 PM

So as of right now I'm leaning toward the Auto Focus VILTROX EF-NEX II... I would like to consider the King as it has gotten some good reviews but the felt is a draw back for me and I would be worried about the shedding.

Chris Harding August 27th, 2014 06:21 PM

Hi Aaron

Seriously I have yet to see any success with auto functions with the fancy adapters!! I would still rather go for a dumb adapter which will cost you far less and has nothing on it that "won't work"

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. August 27th, 2014 08:17 PM

Thanks Chris, I plan to transition to MF so AF is not a concern. I posted this because these adapters are reviewed as great for auto iris. I will not be trying to use my wife's glass primarily as i like the strategy you pointed out in the other thread. I figure if i go this Canon route then occasionally me and my wife can swap but i plan to have my own go to glass for each circumstance. At the price of these I'm willing to give it a go. I would hate to spring for the Metabones and still have the same problem that these lower priced adapters have. So, tentatively i can begin a slow transition over to Manual focusing and I know it is a art to get use to. I have a couple of Canon lenses that i can start with already to try it out.

Chris Harding August 27th, 2014 09:36 PM

Hi Aaron

I know the Metabones tends to jump the iris around for no reason. I really cannot see any reason for autoiris though?? On my cameras I leave the camera on full auto and let it do the light calculation. On manual lenses I simply adjust the aperture manually and let the camera calculate the shutter and ISO. Much the same as using a still camera in Aperture Priority mode. If I'm outside I just close the iris down so the shutter doesn't run too high and do the reverse indoors. If I want shallow DOF outdoors I just open the lens full and let the shutter run to 6000 or more. All works perfectly and seriously I don't have any false lens iris settings and I can control the DOF too!

It works for me and dumb adapters are WAY cheaper too! You just need to make sure it has an aperture adjustment ring/lever.

However, your choice!! but I would stay away from any adapter that tries to control iris and focus!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. August 27th, 2014 10:01 PM

Pretty insightful. I guess the reason I chose to go after a smart adapter was for the auto iris. After benefiting from your understanding on how to use it it makes a lot of sense to try the dumb adapter. I will get one on order shortly.

Jody Arnott August 27th, 2014 10:05 PM

I'm not sure about letting the shutter run that high. The general rule of thumb for video is to keep the shutter at around double your frame rate. So 25p would = 1/50 shutter.

I find that anything over about 1/100 introduces stuttering.. so I just use 1/50 all the time and let the camera control the iris and gain if I'm run and gunning. I have a Tiffen variable ND filter which is very easy to use and allows me to prevent the aperture from closing down too much.

Maybe because you're using 50i Chris the stuttering isn't quite as bad at higher shutter speeds??

Chris Harding August 27th, 2014 10:42 PM

Hi Jody

Even at 50P I don't get any stutter issues at all ...maybe you shoot things that move faster??? My highest speed motion is usually exhausted fun run people at the last corporate shoot I did. At weddings things move very slowly ... If you decided to shoot motor racing at 1/6000 it would most definitely freeze the car so you would almost have a series of stills .. some blur is great for action stuff.

At 50P yes it is necessary to use a double frame rate which is highly annoying in low light so I just find because I end up with DVD's as the final product 50i is perfect. I have done many test with 50i and 50P and have yet to see any awesome wow factor between the two. 50i is far less fussy and very forgiving so it's much easier to shoot on 50i and then transcode to 25P for my editor ... no shudders either.

My fastest movement at weddings would be on the stedicam as I go around the couple and even at high shutters I don't have any issues at 50i ...I might try some really fast motion and whip pans at 50P with a high shutter and see if there is indeed a difference??

However when the sun is out and the shutter climbs all I do is close the aperture a but until it drops into the hundreds rather than the thousands. Quick and easy on a dumb adapter!!

Chris

Aaron Jones Sr. August 27th, 2014 10:45 PM

Just went to go and purchase this adapter with the iris control ring and I read the reviews Here on Amazon and I decided to try them both (smart and the dumb) and still be a couple hundred dollars under the metabones price tag.