Extenders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Extenders?

Are there any Extenders out there that i can use with the stock lens without losing autofocus or servo zoom capabilities (remote and rocker zoom)? if so can someone please recommend? (i understand that i will lose a stop by using an extender and for my useage i really don't mind, i just need more than 200mm and need to keep autofocus and zoom:)

Thanks

JC
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Extenders?

Hi Joel

I cannot see why the cheap Chinese tele-extenders you buy on eBay won't work as they screw onto the filter threads of the front of the lens and not between the lens and body. As long as you buy one that fits the stock lens filter thread it will work, However just be aware that you are putting probably a long more inferior glass in front of a fairly good lens!!

Have you tried the digital zoom which will take you out to 400mm?? Although that does degrade the image a tiny bit it might not be as bad and the added optics of an eBay extender and it's free!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks chris, i have considered this option to use the cheapos from china. just wondering if there were any suggestions. as far as digital zoom here is a sample crop @ 100% res of why i absolutely can not use digital zoom! EVER.

this is why i am scrambling for a teleconverter.... Image is destroyed! luckily the other 2 shots were perfect.

JC
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Joel

Ouch!! That's really bad. I wasn't impressed either ..you can get away with it in really good light though .. I did a post here for Randy with nothing more than about 15db and you can see the difference!

The problem with a teleconverter (which is the better option) is that I think you will lose all communication with the camera. Sony might have a 67mm add on front lens?? but either will lose you 1 stop or even two!

If it was me I would buy a decent still lens and shoot manual ..The EA-50 will still run fine in auto too!! Just open up the lens and it will adjust shutter and gain for you!

I know Nikon make a big F2.8 constant zoom that goes up to 400mm ....that would definitely be the way to go ...manual zoom and focus is quite controllable if you let the camera handle exposure too. ... If you want a smoother zoom then stick a lever on the zoom ring or maybe get a follow focus ...you can also get motorised ones for a smoother zoom.

It will be interesting to see what you find!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks Chris i will look into the Nikon!
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Joel

Also look at the Canon EF 100-400 F4.5 but it's pretty pricey!! (as is the Nikon!) I always look at Tamron as well to see what they have as their prices are more down to earth and I think they make a 200-400 zoom ...I have a 17-50 Tamron F2.8 and it's way sharper than my Sony stock lens !!

I'm also sure it doesn't have to be a new one ... searching eBay can often find a little used lens in nice condition

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)