Thinking of this lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Trustee

Thinking of this lens

Im thinking of this guy
Sigma 28 70mm F 2 8 Zoom Lens for Nikon | eBay
I understand it may not be wide enough for everything but down the road I think id get a Speed booster to widen it up a bit. Right now I can use it with my adapter because it has aperture on the lens. What do you guys think?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Thinking of this lens

Thx for the ebay link, I just bought that lens.

Just kidding :) 28-70mm is usable as a general purpose lens but not for too tight spaces, but with a speedbooster attached it will become a very capable lens I think.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Trustee

What is the math on the focal length? 28-70 with a speed booster which is .07x would bring it to like 17-50?
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I had the one up from this which is the Sigma 24-70 ...the extra couple of mm focal length is very useful but these are quite heavy brutes!! The 24-70 is quite large too with 88mm filters

With your Smart Adapter it looks like it will become a 17-50 lens which is plenty wide enough ..I love my Tamron 17-50 !!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Trustee

yeah I was thinking of just getting the 17-50 but with this I figured 2 things 1. I would get an extra stop and 2. I would be able to have more range in a bigger church just taking off the metabones and using a dumb adapter when needed.
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Only if you have time at a ceremony! I find that once the ceremony is running I dare not even touch the camera!! There is precious little time to start fooling around with lens changes but it will be neat to make that decision at the start and have the options.

Have you already bought the Metabones?? How does it work for you??

Chris
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Trustee

No I cant make that kind of purchase til early to mid next year to be honest it would be kind of a luxury. The 28-70 at 2.8 is more of a must.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

I find that most times the stock lens is quite adequate in Churches ... if I find I'm hovering at the 21db mark I'll use the 17-50 F2.8 and that works fine with plenty to spare. If I have to pay $600 + for a Metabones then it must be cos I cannot do without it (I could get a nice extra lens for $600!)

Grab the 28-70 and you will find you will have plenty of light unless you film in dark castles like poor Pete!!

I always make sure at the rehearsal if the priest can maybe turn on extra lights for me too .. then your problem goes away !

Chris
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Guys - my Canon 24-105mm is a great all rounder for indoor work - goes down to f2.8 with the speedbooster but I've now got the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 (goes down to 1.8 I think with the speedbooster) for those really dark venues (another castle coming up next month!). It's a great lens and the only short, fast zoom I could find with IS.

The bank is now officially closed now until next season - that Tamron was expensive!!!

Does anyone know how to calculate hyperfocal length taking the focal reducer into account?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Would this help if you dialled in the camera as a full frame unit at all???

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Or just maybe multiply the aperture by 0.7 and one stop lowerand it should come up with the correct result. A bit too complicated for me but it is a useful calculator!!

Chris
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Trustee

heres a question can you get auto focus to work with these lenses with the adapter and the NEX 50? or do you need a actual Sony NEX lens for that?
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The Metabones EF Speedbooster has limited autofocus for some lenses but Metabones themselves say it is slow and inadequate for most purposes

Sony NEX System : Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Speed Booster

You would need Sony NEX lenses for autofocus - I use the 16mm f2.8 pancake lens with the 0.6X wide converter - fast autofocus but no IS

I can also recommend the 50mm f1.8 - nice fast autofocus and IS - good for dim environments if you're into primes

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I went deep into my pockets and bought a Speedbooster for Canon EF these days.
Together with a Canon 24-105/4,0L I'll have a 17-75/2,8 with great image stabilization and picture quality.

Okay, neither it's cheap, nor is it small and light or has great AF.
But it's the only way for me to have a one lens option for most of my shooting situations. It's quiet wide, fast and has IS, which helps in handheld situations. The long end of the lens is still fine for interviews and similar things.

I discovered another, much easier option for this as well: The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 with IS as well on Metabones Smart Adapter. Lighter, cheaper and same technical data.

Another solution would be the new SOny SEL18-105/f4 OSS. It will be around 600 bucks with a very wide focal range, fixed aperture of f4 through the hole range and great OSS image stabilizing. It's not extending it's front element when zooming and has servo zoom capabilities. AF is there too of course. It should be available in december...

http://store.sony.com/e-pz-18-105mm-...pha-NEX-Lenses
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #14
Trustee

That lens at a 2.8 would be the perfect lens for me I wouldnt need anything else, in fact I kinda wonder if it may be fine for me as is its hard to say the biggest issue I have is losing light when I zoom. I am kinda hoping to buy a lens in the short term because I am hoping that maybe Sony or someone else will release a 17-50 at 2.8 for the NEX so I can keep all my features.
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

No f2,8 zooms are planned for NEX.

Sony released two new zooms these days: the SEL18-105/4,0 G and the SonyZeiss 16-70/4,0.

If you need f2,8 you need adapted lenses of which the Sigma 17-70/2,8-4,0 seems the most attractive one if you can live with the changing aperture. I still love my new combination. It's exactly what I ever wanted as I don't like the fly-by-wire zooms of the Sony E lenses.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)