DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/)
-   -   White balance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-ea50-all-variants/520098-white-balance.html)

Randy Johnson November 17th, 2013 12:57 PM

White balance

Any way to white balance while recording?

Joel Corral November 18th, 2013 08:59 AM

Re: White balance

pretty sure you can change the temp while recording. give it a try.

Randy Johnson November 18th, 2013 12:02 PM

That I can do I can also use auto white, I meant manual WB like in the a/b presets

Don Bloom November 18th, 2013 06:56 PM

As with any camera when doing a manual WB you can most certainly change from PRESET to A or B while recording. Of course it won't be a smooth transition but if you can cut around it great. Doing a manual WB while shooting is a different thing. You'll be putting up a white or gray card under the lighting you'd be shooting in, filling the frame setting the WB then reframing, focusing etc so my question has to be why would you want to do that? I hope that's not what you mean to do because it would be a big PITA to do BUT technically it can be done.

Randy Johnson November 18th, 2013 07:01 PM

Yep thats what I want to do, my AG-hmc 150s will do it. Its not a huge deal but when I shoot ceremonys I dont like to stop recording for lip sync purposes but after the wedding starts often the lighting changes ie window light during the processon then they end up under quartz lights in the sanctuary. So I need to re white.

Don Bloom November 18th, 2013 10:42 PM

To each his own but it's been my experience that changing WB in the middle of an hour long shot is not something I want to do so I use one of a couple of different methods to take care of it.
1) I'll use auto white. I don't know about the EA50 but my PD150, 170, DSR250, JVC GY5000 and now my HM700 did and do a decent job of catching up with WB when in auto white.
2) IF it's that far off I'll adjust in post. Usually only take a minute or two and is far less intrusive than doing it on the fly during one long shot.
3) In the almost 2200 weddings I've done over the last 30 years as often as not I'll leave it as it is because it's almost imperceptible to the general viewing audience.
Of course it all depends on how it looks and how the camera handled it so it could be a combo of 2 of the ways I handle.
To each their own.
Again, Can you do it? Sure can if it white balances like every other pro type camera I've ever owned or used. Find something white, press the button and wait a few seconds while it adjusts. The camera doesn't care if it's recording or not. (at least most of them don't)
HTHs

Randy Johnson November 18th, 2013 11:05 PM

Well the reason I ask is I was out on a job Saturday and it wouldnt white while rolling, Its not the end of the world I too would use auto tracing white if I have to but I like manual. I will not "fix it in post" by choice its been my experience that video looks best when you get it right the first time and im kinda anal about a good WB.

Joel Corral November 19th, 2013 11:32 AM

i dont see why changing the temp manually wouldnt work. you could easily scroll through 1000k at a time and wouldn't be noticed at all to the viewer.

Michael Spanheimer November 20th, 2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson (Post 1821310)
Well the reason I ask is I was out on a job Saturday and it wouldnt white while rolling, Its not the end of the world I too would use auto tracing white if I have to but I like manual. I will not "fix it in post" by choice its been my experience that video looks best when you get it right the first time and im kinda anal about a good WB.

hi

im not sure, but maybe this is again an issue with the facedection?? Dont have the manual around, but it was the same thing with the shutter...